How To Install Emulators

jweatherseed

Still Fresh
I am not sure if this has already been explained before and if it has I am sorry for bringing it up again. I am new to all this and i just purchased a Wiz to play all my favorite games. Unfortunately there were no instructions as to how i can download emulators and then through them install games. If someone would simply take the time to explain to me how i can install these the proper way it would be much appreciated. I am using a mac by the way.

Thanks again,
jweatherseed

To download emulators the main site is here: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi
To install them just unzip the files on a folder on you SD card and from your WIZ launch the *.gpe file.
In fact there's nothing to "install", it's very easy :)

mnm said:
To download emulators the main site is here: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi
To install them just unzip the files on a folder on you SD card and from your WIZ launch the *.gpe file.
In fact there's nothing to "install", it's very easy :)
When i connect my wiz i get a usb but there is nothing that ways sd there is one that says DCIM MISC movie NCFL and game. Which one of these is the SD card?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I just realized the answer to that question but when you do that how do you get games on there. Sorry if I'm not too knowledgable on this subject but its my first time with a wiz.

Have you ever used a regular computer emulator before? If so, then the procedure is pretty much the same. After unzipping the emulator onto the SD card, then you just need to drop the rom files(games) in the ROM folder(generally true) within the emulator's directory. Most of the emulators have readme files with instructions that help as well. Also I would recommend putting the emulators onto an SD card rather then on the internal memory as it is prone to corruption. You will probably also want to backup your SD card as that data can corrupt as well. It sucks having to put back on 8GB of games and losing all your save files.

Do you already have game ROM files for use with the types of emulators that you're wanting to use? You're going to need to start by finding those on your own, as most forums don't allow discussion of obtaining them due to the fact that they are legally questionable.

Most emulators from dl.openhandhelds.org are in archives. After you download and unpack them, you can move their folders to your SD card. The emulator's folder usually contains a ROMs subfolder that you can put the ROM files into.

I'm not sure how the SD card shows up on a Mac because I've only used Windows and maybe Linux. Sorry :(

When you connect the Wiz to the computer, the console ask you what do you want to see: NAND or SD. Select SD and a new unit appears in your system. You must to copy the games and applications in folders inside the GAME folder. For emulators you must to read the instructions in the readme file, and put the bios and rom files that you want to play in the correct folder. If the emulator has an icon you can see in the Games menu option, else you can launch manually from the Lauch option.

Technically you only have to put them in the Game folder if they have INI files and you want to be able to launch them from the upper-left icon on the Wiz main menu. Personally, I had problems launching PocketSNES this way, so I just dump them wherever I want on the SD card and browse to the GPE file for apps using the Launcher icon on the Wiz main menu (bottom middle I think).

Now I'm using Gmenu2x mostly, which is even nicer but takes some work to set up.

Back