how to get smaller size

Shane

Website
Visit site
alright I have an 700mb divx file and I want it to be smaller without comprimising quality using virtual dub, cause I know winzip wont compress it that much. What setting could I use or what codec? Does Xvid work well?

there is no way to make a video file smaller without compromising quality. DivX, Xvid, Wmv are all lossy compression codec algorithms and if you try to reduce file size you will lost some of its quality. You can reduce frame count or reduce pixel size of the movie to keep image clear, but movie will be bad quality again.

there is many different codecs but most of the new breed mpeg4 based codecs provide nearly same result. Divx goes commercial and Xvid is still free. It looks divx5 series a little more advanced. Try them both.

Zip is completely different approach. (I guess) it's Based on LZ algorithm which is lossless, and if you compress an avi movie with winzip you cannot play it until you unzip it and this process takes time. Most of the time winzip cannot reduce size of a compressed video file (Because of it already highly compressed). However there are lossless codecs (based on lzw *like zip* algorithm) out there but they produce *very* big files with ultimate qualty.

bringoutthegimp posted on Oct 13 2003 at 04:17 PM said:
<_< if he was trying to fit it on a cd it wouldnt be in the gpcinema section
But then reducing it to 650 meg or under won`t be of much use in GPCinema, As it won`t fit on an SMC or be in the right resolution or maybe even the right format. As pretty much everyone knows that GPCinema has certain requirements to this. <_< .... :)

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
If u want a small reduction in a film use virtualdub to remover to opening/closing credits,reduce audio to mono and maybe reduce the bitrate just a little (30-70) using this method you should be able to lose 50Mb off a 700 Mb file.

Back