How To Get Big Speed Up In Emulator ( Work Great For Snes)

renejr902

Website
Visit site
OK I EXPLAIN IT FOR NO CODER USER. IM NOT A CODER AND I DID IT. I GOT 20 FPS JUST IN FZERO: ( i edited with windows xp notepad)

1. Donwload the Neo Geo emulator. ( unzip it you need rage2x.gpe and pollux_set files)
2. Edit the rage2x.gpe with caution, instructions below. ( USE WINDOWS NOTEPAD NOT WORPAD IT DONT WORK)
3. Save it with any name.
4. Put it in your snes emulator directory with the file pollux_set
5. Run the new edited file
6. configure option and settings ( see below)
7. Got 20 more FPS in F-zero. The PAL version run full speed ( 50 FPS) And you get SPEED UP in a lot of games. Mariokart too.

i modified the file from neo geo emulator with notepad. you cant modify it with wordpad.

WHY NO FAQ EXPLAIN THIS CLEARLY, HE COULD BE VERY USEFUL FOR A LOT OF PEOPLE. YOU GAIN A LOT OF SPEED. I hope ram timings are not dangerous ? isnt ?

I DID IT WITH WINDOWS NOTEPAD. IT REALLY WORK. BUT NOT WORK WITH WORDPAD.
BUT I HAVE TO USED THE neo geo file ( rage2x.gpe) i edit the file with notepad. i was caution and changed only what was needed. and save it as pocksnes3.gpe

Mofidify only what you need. dont erase anything like the small square LOL :
When you look at this with notepad, you dont see it like that below. You have to be intelligent and change and add the lines without touching anything else. dont erase small square.
All the lines you see will be in the same line with notepad be caution.
Ok BELOW IS WHAT YOU MUST EDIT IN rage2x.gpe. when its finish save it to another name ex: snesmod.gpe

#!/bin/sh

./pollux_set 'lcd_timings=397,1,37,277,341,0,17,337;dpc_clkdiv0=9;cpuclk=800;ram_timings=2,9,4,1,1,1,1'
./pocketsnes_fast $*

cd /usr/gp2x
exec ./gp2xmenu

To test your file try F-zero : with NO TRANSPARENCY, in Advanced Hacks, Audio performance hack but be ON, and Put the CPU speed to 800 mhz. Even if you put cpu speed top 800 mhz and audio hack on, if you did not make the the pollux timings correclty you will only get 40 to 45 fps in f-zero first race when a lot of action on the screen. With correct pollux timings and snes settings F-zero got 47 to 50 fps in the first race, and NEVER drop below 46-47 fps except for a big accident

Good luck.

I hope people will reply in my thread about that.

I will try this pollux timings in others emu now. bye

note: i disappointed it dont remove much tearing in snes .

note: im not sure if its necessary but with some emulator i remove the extension file name to get the emu working. ex: rename lemonboy2x.gpe for lemonboy2x ( without extension.)

news: it seem to not work if you have 3 or more subdirectory. try to put your snes emu in only one folder in the root of the card. ex: SDcard/snes/pocketsnes.gpe

news: with pollux timings, pc engine dont have slow down anymore with bonk. with nes i dont see any difference. a lot of TEARING

news: it seem to remove slow down in pc engine. i dont see any improvement with gameboy ( on 52 fps with mario land 2.) no difference with nes, maybe a little faster in castlevania games with gba.

Have you already tried out Super Mario RPG?
Edit/
And which Neogeo emulator do you mean?

Thanks renejr902 for the findings.

I thought that PocketSnes had this ram timing already with the latest release. if not thanks heaps for your findings. I should recieve my Wiz tomorrow to try this.

renejr902 said:
Neo Geo GnGeo

i didnt try mario rpg until now. maybe tomorrow
Yea, please try it out. :)

And could you please simply upload your modified neogeo file? It seems like I'm too dumb to do it. :/

Last edited by a moderator:
i have 2 differents MArio Rpg roms and nothing is working. black screen. the roms are loading correclty with my zsnes emulator on my computer.

Is it possible that game is not working with pocketsnes ?

How can i upload a file , i dont see any option for that. otherwise give me a link to upload a file

Thanks for posting mate

Would this tweak make Super Metriod full speed?

I overclock to 800MHZ and it sits about 50 FPS with the US game.

So this will not mess up my Wiz if I do this?

Is this like a memory tweak like with the PC's DDR2 memory 5,5,5,15 vs 4,4,4,12?

Would this tweak make Super Metriod full speed?
- I tried it. I wanted it as accurate as possible, so I got to zebes, where it's raining and whatnot, and ran around outside and inside, and this is what I got:

*For all of these tests, the audio hack is ON, and the audio is set to 32Khz stereo.

Transparencies on - 790Mhz - Unscaled - Pollux Timings -
40-45FPS outside in the rain (transparencies...) 60FPS inside.
45-50FPS Inside near mother brain (dust clouds? fog? Whatever.)

Transparencies on - 590Mhz - Unscaled - Pollux Timings - 29-35FPS outside in the rain, still 60FPS inside.

Transparencies on - 790Mhz - scaled - Pollux Timings - 37-43FPS outside in the rain, still 60FPS inside.

Transparencies on - 590Mhz - scaled - Pollux Timings - 29-33FPS outside in the rain, 49-53 FPS inside

Really, transparencies are the killer in this game. In areas where you can turn them off (where there aren't any atmospheric effects in the foreground) the game runs at 60FPS with them off, unscaled. All the way down at 540Mhz, the game still runs at a buttery smooth 60FPS. So, did you mean WITH transparencies, or without? Because without, the game runs perfectly. With, there's a few hiccups, but it runs close to 60FPS if you clock up to 800Mhz. Transparencies aren't worth it. Also, sound didn't seem like a factor.

So this will not mess up my Wiz if I do this?
My wiz looks fine, haven't seen an issue yet.

Is this like a memory tweak like with the PC's DDR2 memory 5,5,5,15 vs 4,4,4,12?
Yes. That's exactly what it is. Although from what I know these timings aren't much different from the default. Is there a difference? I'm not sure.

Secret of mana, transparencies, pollux, 800Mhz:
Walking around next to the river = 55-58 FPS

Secret of mana, transparencies, default, 800Mhz:
Walking around next to the river = 60FPS Solid

So it seems like the pollux timings have somehow made secret of mana slower.

Odd.

I'm not so sure if it's of any benefit at all.

Thanks b1ueskycomp1ex

I'll give the pollux thing a shot. Also there's no way to get rid of the diagonal line at this stage with pocketSnes correct?

i cant live with this diagonal line anymore !! Please do something. in nes emulator its worst.

im surprised mana runs slower with pollux timings. its seems not all games will benefit from it. But f-zero and mariokart are much faster.

Back