GP32 How do I port?

NeoAP

Insane Swede!!!
Website
www.speltorget.net
Hello, I'm new to the development and with C++, but I want to learn so I gonna take a look on a code and then see if I can port it. My question is now, what do I need to port a game? And maybe some more details about porting.

Thanks! :)

EDIT: Someone please move this topic to "New developers help", sorry.

NeoAP posted on Aug 15 2003 said:
Hello, I'm new to the development and with C++, but I want to learn so I gonna take a look on a code and then see if I can port it. My question is now, what do I need to port a game? And maybe some more details about porting.

Thanks! :)

EDIT: Someone please move this topic to "New developers help", sorry.
Well, first you need a set of compiler tools. I've been using the Debian cross-toolchain, but I'm becoming more and more unhappy with it, as literally tons of header files necessary for porting common software are missing.

(as an aside, I just installed it from packages, perhaps I didn't do it correctly... is everyone else missing headers under sys/, bits/ and gnu/?)

Second, you need to see the requirements of the software you're trying to port. Keep in mind that porting is generally a lot more work than writing something from scratch, simply because the original software tends to assume a lot about the libraries and such that are available to it. This is a problem, as very few libraries have been ported to the GP32 to far.

I've actually got half a dozen ports on the back-burner right now, while I attempt to sort out my compiler issues and such. If someone who has a better cross-compiling environment (I think someone's using Gentoo with theirs, that would be nice!) could give me a hand, I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Porting code can actually be much harder than coding from scratch (especially for new developers). When you code from scratch you use your own style and do things the way you think they should be done. The problem with coding is that everything can be done in so many different ways that when you come to look at someone elses code it can be difficult to figure out what method they've used, and it almost certainly wouldn't be the method you would use. Porting is also a long, slow and very boring job, and (IMHO) nowhere near as rewarding as creating something yourself.
is everyone else missing headers under sys/, bits/ and gnu/?
Nope, it works for me. But I've only really used it to compile my own code. If you're missing things when porting it might be because the original coder created his own weird and wonderful environment. If that is the case then the problems may happen whatever version of the compiler you use.

woogal posted on Aug 21 2003 said:
is everyone else missing headers under sys/, bits/ and gnu/?
Nope, it works for me. But I've only really used it to compile my own code. If you're missing things when porting it might be because the original coder created his own weird and wonderful environment. If that is the case then the problems may happen whatever version of the compiler you use.
Yeah, it's starting to look like it's just someone's custom environment, and not an actual generic gcc compiler with all the standard gcc headers and libraries. *sigh*

Last edited by a moderator:
Back