how big is a movie file?

cth

Still Fresh
Say I have a 2 hour 30 minute movie, will I be able to fit that onto 128mb smart media card?

Also, how big of a hassle is it to convert it to play on the gp32?

And, can I use like a 512mb card on the gp32?

thanks!

bambam2717

Still Fresh
1. Say I have a 2 hour 30 minute movie, will I be able to fit that onto 128mb smart media card?
2. Also, how big of a hassle is it to convert it to play on the gp32?
3.And, can I use like a 512mb card on the gp32?

1. Yes u certianly can fit a 2.30 hr. movie on a 128 mb smc considering u convert it right . To do this u use divx codec 4.12 which leaves them super small compared to their original counter parts.
2. Its no hassle at all. Its actually pretty simple. All u do is d/l something called virtualdub and read the instructions on this page and your set. It only takes like 6 min to convert 600 mb on my comp.
3. Nope, not at the moment. Gp32 only runs 3.3volt smc and i dont think there are any 512 smc in 3.3 volts. Dont get to distressed tho i read that Gamppark is working on dishing some out at 3.3 volts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY :D

Tobriand

Very Active Member
Website
Visit site
Yeah, agreed (for the most part). The only time there's any hassle involved is if you have to rip the DVD first - since they're copy protected, it takes ages to fiddle with those. Its pretty straight forward (thankfully), it just takes a long time.
And of course, you'd need 4gb free on your hd for most films. Which is always a little hard to come by. There are proggies to rip a DVD straight to DivX (i.e. you don't need 4GB free) but I've never got the hang of them...

cth

Still Fresh
Bah, harddrive space is no issue, I have 80 gigs.

Anything I want to watch I'll probably just pull off p2p anyway.