Horror Of Horrors!

angryinvalid

Still Fresh
From the sounds of it DrMD 2.0 doesn't support Shining Force 1-2.

I think that might be a deal breaker for me.

I was originally gonna get a GBA SP and cart, but genesis turned me onto GP32.

........maybe I should get a PSP and wait for for their emulation to reach fruition.
I new version of the genesis emulator came out today.

The PSP would cost me a similar penny as the GP32.

I've been drooling over this GP32 for a while, i've infact already order SMC cards and been watching various GP32 sales on Ebay.

But maybe PSP is a better call?

what do you guys think?

PSP vs. GP32 (from an emu/homebrew standpoint).

emulation for PSP isn't as good yet....but it's growing very quickly from what i understand. and won't the new hardware make it capable of so much more?

well its totally your opinion, as the gp32 is already developed and has hundreds of homebrew stuff and this just, well brilliant :).

even if someone gave me a choice if i wanted a gp32 or a psp, ild go for the gp32 then later save up for a psp, because the gp32 offers a ton whilst the psp yould have to wait some time before its got as developed as the gp32.

and the gp32 scene is a good and friendly comunion, i think. :D

Most people here are going to be GP32 biased. :) Basicly GP32 has fantastic emulators, and more on the way. PSP is a bit of a gamble. No doubt it can do even better than GP32, but the GP32 has been out for a long time, and it might take a long time for the PSP scene to reach the level it has here. Having said that PSP is more well known, so more coders should be avaliable.

So the real choice is

GP32: Great emulators and homebrew avaliable now.
or PSP: Even greater emulators avaliable sometime between soon and never.

I've always loved the way that the GP32 is pretty much just homebrewn (there's a short list of the original Korean games) software. The best bit is that if you get a GP32 now there's lots of stuff for you to play with until you wait for Shining Force support. Also, F-day is coming soon which could leave you with a Mega Drvie (Genesis) emulator that will support your desired games.

also i forgot to mention, unless you get a version.1 firmware on the psp you wont be running your emulators right away, you'll have to wait till the version1.5 or higher firmware is cracked.

EDIT: also there is an uncertenty if you get a psp that you will have dead pixels, is that still a problem with the psp?

i guess im biased, gp32 RULES

Yup, any PSP bought now will have 1.5 (or 1.5.1) firmware, and you need 1.0 to use emulators. 1.0 PSP's are like gold dust to find - some people may be willing to sell there 1.0 PSPs for extortionate prices if your desperate though.

Personally, I'd wait for when the PSP gets properly cracked - either a firmware independant way, or for at least 1.5 to be worked around.

Also, don't forget that a lot of the new games require firmware 1.5 to run, and they will upgrade your PSP to that version if you run them on a 1.0 unit, thereby killing off all your emulators/etc.

So I'd go for a GP32 for now.

EDIT: Yes, Ebay does have some PSP 1.0's, but be very careful - there are still a lot of PSP scams on ebay, such as people selling links to websites (and for some reason, even the auctions clearly stating "this is a link to a website" are still sold for £50 - £200 :eek: )

I was in the same boat as Angry here. Fortunately, I found a couple things to hold me over. They're nowhere near replacements for Shining Force, but they're pretty good on their own.

One is Live A Live on OpenSnes9x 0.3.

You also might look in to the Fire Emblem series and GPwar, since they're more like Shining Force.

Besides that, you probably don't want to buy a game system for ONE game. Think of the other things the system can do too.

go buy a Sega nomad to play shining force on :p

but seriously, I'm sure you'll be happy with everything else the gp32 has to offer

The great thing about the situation with the PSP and GP32 is that they aren't in any kind of real compitition. No one gets screwed over, no one has to sell one for the other because they both have similar advantages over other game systems.

As for me, I think I'd still use my GP32 because the media is cheaper and I enjoy the community.

Well, the real question is "Do you mainly want commercial software that guarantees a certain level (and is readily available) and maybe some homebrew later or do you want something with a definitely large library of homebrew games and emulators (which are available now and some of which are utter crap) but basically no support from the manufacturer and no easily available commercial games?".

Man, that's a long question :D

I personally wouldn't expect ANYTHING for any console. There are things that the GP32 would in theory be capable of, but which will probably never be done (Amiga emulation comes to mind - I don't believe in it) and you'll have no real ground to stand on to say that the PSP will always be usable for homebrew.
I wouldn't buy any console on a gamble. The GP32 has what I wanted, so I got one. If you want to take the chance, get a PSP and hope for more advanced emulation on it. The call is yours - I don't think there's a right or wrong decision here.

Personally I'd get a gp32, but then I am biased :p

But if you think the psp *might* do what you want, perhaps you could look at buying a secondhand gp32 no light unit (NLU) or gp32 front light unit (FLU) and wait for the psp scene to mature a little and get one when those *mights* turn into *do's*, and it'd be cheaper then too ;) You wont be disappointed if you get a gp32_console if you get any roms for it, they can be used in a psp if you get one.

The GP32 community is DEFINETLY great. And wandering through the last of homebrew things has been pretty sexy. DUnno, i'll have to give it some more thought. thanks guy! ;)

As someone stated in another thread the PSP is totally worthless in brightly lit or outdoor conditions because of the way the screen is lit. Another option is to buy an el-cheapo non-lit GP32 now and play with it while waiting to see if the PSP gets cracked. Then if it does you can still use your GP32 outside and you can afford a PSP too to use indoors. This way you will have a portable emulation console for every occasion :p

Selling links? That's new, what's the basic concept?

You are joking right? I HATE this link sellers!!! Horrible modern day highwayrobbers!!!!

But seriously, the GP32 is a compliment to the PSP at the mo. It just does so many things so well!!!!

Sell some stuff, and get them all.....

Last edited by a moderator:
who really could say, 'oh theres no shining force 1-2' so no gp32 for me then!! The GP32 is an absolute revelation in the console world and is quite possibly the most technically innovative, killer app ever!! I'd rather have a GP32 over an Ipod anyday!

So, to split hairs over if just one game will work sounds crazy to me.

GP32 is the daddy, the mammy and the whole goddamn family - BUY ONE NOW!

who really could say, 'oh theres no shining force 1-2' so no gp32 for me then!! The GP32 is an absolute revelation in the console world and is quite possibly the most technically innovative, killer app ever!! I'd rather have a GP32 over an Ipod anyday!

So, to split hairs over if just one game will work sounds crazy to me.

GP32 is the daddy, the mammy and the whole goddamn family - BUY ONE NOW!
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back