Honest Opinions Needed About Emulation

Well,

Its sounding better all the time. I did go to youtube and see it in action. Pretty impressive! Actually, having a handheld NeoGeo would be awesome, I don't think a NeoGeo emulator has been released for PDA or if it has it doesn't run very well (like MAME). Also, do most of these emulators come with save states? I know Morphgear easily allows you to save a game anytime/anyplace you want to.

dochuge posted on Dec 28 2006 at 06:52 PM said:
Well,

Its sounding better all the time. I did go to youtube and see it in action. Pretty impressive! Actually, having a handheld NeoGeo would be awesome, I don't think a NeoGeo emulator has been released for PDA or if it has it doesn't run very well (like MAME). Also, do most of these emulators come with save states? I know Morphgear easily allows you to save a game anytime/anyplace you want to.

Genesis, Snes, NeoGeo fully supports savestates. I think MAME don't, and don't know for others :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Genesis, Snes, NeoGeo fully supports savestates. I think MAME don't, and don't know for others :ph34r:
[/quote]

Well that's cool. I'm sure many of the others do too, like NES ones.

Do most of you guys download files directly to the GP2X or on a card reader first? I ask this because I'm a bit nervous that I will buy this thing and have problems with my PC recognizing either one. I have only two USB ports and use them over and over again for different things: PDA, controller, wifi adaptor, etc. I don't want to order something that's going to give me a headache.

Both card readers and GP2X work with UMS, that means, same way as USB sticks, so if your PC recognize USB Sticks, you shouldn't have problems using the GP2X
But we all will advise you to buy a card reader or use anything but the GP2X : file transfers are sh*** and VERY unreliable when using the GP2X itself
Any multi-format card reader should take SD cards, they are standard for many cameras or devices

Anyway, transfering files is very simple in 99% cases : pop your card out the GP2X, plug it in your card reader (and don't forget to plug it ;) ) and it should be automatically appearing like every external drive/usb stick! but hey, i guess you already knew all that? B)

reiboul said:
Both card readers and GP2X work with UMS, that means, same way as USB sticks, so if your PC recognize USB Sticks, you shouldn't have problems using the GP2X
But we all will advise you to buy a card reader or use anything but the GP2X : file transfers are sh*** and VERY unreliable when using the GP2X itself
Any multi-format card reader should take SD cards, they are standard for many cameras or devices

Well I can get one with a free TV out, or one with a free card reader, neither is really expensive, however. Looks like the card reader is more important for right now.

reiboul posted on Dec 28 2006 at 11:36 AM said:
Actually, most snes games are playable but without transparencies, and you may need overclocking for some games (and no, F6 isn't fullspeed)

do you mean frameskip 6?

with the most recent version of squidesnes (notaz's 0.39), running at 230-240 mhz, i get zero dropped frames.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=32823

oh wait you probably mean final fantasy 6...in that case i refuse to let myself play through it until there's (fast) transparency...as it is i gave in to super metroid, harvest moon, and chronotrigger, all of which would have been that much nicer with the alpha effects :)

rokdcasbah posted on Dec 28 2006 at 07:55 PM said:
reiboul posted on Dec 28 2006 at 11:36 AM said:
Actually, most snes games are playable but without transparencies, and you may need overclocking for some games (and no, F6 isn't fullspeed)

do you mean frameskip 6?

with the most recent version of squidesnes (notaz's 0.39), running at 230-240 mhz, i get zero dropped frames.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=32823

oh wait you probably mean final fantasy 6...in that case i refuse to let myself play through it until there's (fast) transparency...as it is i gave in to super metroid, harvest moon, and chronotrigger, all of which would have been that much nicer with the alpha effects :)

Sorry I was talking about FF6!

One of the most wanted SNES game, but not fast enough even with high overclocking :(

Other recent Square-like RPG may be slow (i think about Bahamut Lagoon for example but not sure) yet playable with overclocking

Games with chipset in cartridge, such as Starfox, don't work at the moment

As stated, Snes emulation has much to be done, but most games are OK to play!

dochuge posted on Dec 28 2006 at 04:40 AM said:
Hey all,

I am VERY intrigued by this little handheld. I like emulation and this seems right up my alley. Yeah, having a JPEG and MPEG viewer is cool but if I bought one of these it would be mainly for emulation.

I actually have a pretty decent emulator. I have an Asus PDA but the bloody thing runs out of juice in ONE HOUR. ONE! Now I hear the GP2X isn't great either but I'd rather have five hours than one. If someone could help me out I'd really appreciate it. I need candidness here about how the GP2X's emulation compares to my Asus. Overclocking is OK for me, I do it with the Asus, from 400 to 472 mhz. Here goes:

NES- perfect, GB and GBC- perfect, Genesis- really well although many titles simply won't load

SNES- pretty good, gotta overclock the Asus and put a couple of frameskips in there

MAME- pretty lousy but couldn't find a MAME emulator made past 2002

GBA- S...L...O...W, and the music and sound is severely messed up

Could any kind person comment on the emulators for these consoles for the GP2X? Its a $200 investment and if the emulation is still "in the works" then I may just keep on using my PDA. Thanks very much.

Dochuge

The status lately on Gp2X emus that you mentioned are:

NES is not completely full speed, the sound stutters on some games, the emu is abandoned so no improvement will happen on that one. Most games are still playable though just not perfect.

Genesis is fullspeed with sound, most games will load, only a few don't work.

GBC/GB is good but it seems to have trouble loading .zipped roms. The interface is confusing. The emulation itself is good though.

SNES is "ok". Some games like SMW run fine, while others like DKC are unplayably choppy. The sound is bad in many games and the emu doesn't support transparencies. It seems to be abandoned as well so don't count on improvements. I would not buy the GP2X for SNES.

MAME is great for older games but don't expect newer stuff like Outrun era games to run full speed with sound on a 200+ MHz system. It is a hardware limitation.

GBA is ok for some stuff, very choppy for most and the sound is poor. The emu is very early and may be improved but you can never be sure until it happens. It hasn't been updated in some time, who knows. Again I wouldn't buy the GP2X for GBA. You would be better off with a real GBA and a flash cart.

One thing is for sure though and that is emus play better on the GP2X due to it having real game controls and buttons. A PDA is just horrid as far as gaming because of those awful "controls"

DaveC posted on Dec 28 2006 at 08:46 PM said:
SNES is "ok". Some games like SMW run fine, while others like DKC are unplayably choppy. The sound is bad in many games and the emu doesn't support transparencies. It seems to be abandoned as well so don't count on improvements. I would not buy the GP2X for SNES.

There are two SNES emulators for the GP2x though, and the second one does support transparencies and has better sound. DKC runs perfectly on SNESgp2x at 250 Mhz and Metroid is also playable at this speed. Basically, most games with transparencies can be played on SNESgp2x and both emulators can use the same saves and save states.

OK guys,

Thanks for your help, I am really very close to ordering one. I can get a free card reader with it that is USB2.0, HOWEVER I only have USB1.1. Will this card reader still work with an older USB port? I could buy another card reader but the new ones are all 2.0. I already know in my little time of being on this board that bypassing the card reader and downloading directly on the GP2X is a shaky proposition. Can anyone answer this for me? Thanks, it would stink if I couldn't get a GP2X over a technicality like this one.

dochuge posted on Dec 29 2006 at 12:08 AM said:
OK guys,

Thanks for your help, I am really very close to ordering one. I can get a free card reader with it that is USB2.0, HOWEVER I only have USB1.1. Will this card reader still work with an older USB port? I could buy another card reader but the new ones are all 2.0. I already know in my little time of being on this board that bypassing the card reader and downloading directly on the GP2X is a shaky proposition. Can anyone answer this for me? Thanks, it would stink if I couldn't get a GP2X over a technicality like this one.

I don't know about backward compatibility of USB 2 readers working over USB 1.1 but I would say it is probable

By the way, card readers are cheap! they are links on this forum about a SD reader @ 3$ shipping included, if I remember correct ;)

WhizzBang posted on Dec 28 2006 at 09:58 PM said:

There are two SNES emulators for the GP2x though, and the second one does support transparencies and has better sound. DKC runs perfectly on SNESgp2x at 250 Mhz and Metroid is also playable at this speed. Basically, most games with transparencies can be played on SNESgp2x and both emulators can use the same saves and save states.

Runs perfectly? My experience with it is that it was slow and had high frameskip making it choppy. Anything FS2 or more is noticeably choppy. I still wouldn't get the GP2X just for SNES, not yet.

DaveC posted on Dec 29 2006 at 01:55 AM said:
WhizzBang posted on Dec 28 2006 at 09:58 PM said:

Runs perfectly? My experience with it is that it was slow and had high frameskip making it choppy. Anything FS2 or more is noticeably choppy. I still wouldn't get the GP2X just for SNES, not yet.

I have to agree with DaveC for this point ;) Don't expect as good emulation as Genesis, SquidgeSNES do' support transparencies, Snes9x is slow but support them, and none supports in-cartridge chips :(

I saw Squidge talking about a completely new SNES emulator, but it was long ago, and haven't heard much about it :(

[

I have to agree with DaveC for this point ;) Don't expect as good emulation as Genesis, SquidgeSNES do' support transparencies, Snes9x is slow but support them, and none supports in-cartridge chips :(

Hmmm.... that's too bad about the SNES emulation. On an overclocked ASUS most games run pretty well if you frameskip a few. Even Chrono Trigger runs decently. So if SNES isn't great are there some other "work in progress" emulators? I see PSX emulation is extremely slow and honestly I don't expect THAT much out of a GP2X. The Amiga emulator doesn't look so hot right now. I watched countless youtube videos to get a feel for this thing. And the NES isn't that hot either? That would seem like an easy one to emulate! Anyhow, I am still very much impressed with the emulation aspects so far.

Does anyone know if a card reader for USB 2.0 will work on a 1.1 USB port? It's really the only hangup I have before I order a GP2X.

dochuge posted on Dec 28 2006 at 11:08 PM said:
OK guys,

Yes, USB2.0 card readers are backward compatible with a computer with USB1.1 ports, The reader will just work/transfer files at 1.1 speed, So you will have no problems there.

Trooper

Yes, USB2.0 card readers are backward compatible with a computer with USB1.1 ports, The reader will just work/transfer files at 1.1 speed, So you will have no problems there.

Trooper
[/quote]

Hey Thanks Trooper,

You guys have been really generous with your information and opinions. Looks like if I get stuck trying to figure out how to emulate a console there will be some helpful responses.

SO I JUST ORDERED A GP2X!

Gulp, got it with the 1gb card so it is over two hundred dollars and I hope I don't have to fiddle too much with it and it really is easy to emulate most consoles, just get the emulator and put the roms in a rom folder. If not, I can return it for a small restocking fee. I have a feeling that for emulation of most consoles it will be pretty easy.

dochuge posted on Dec 29 2006 at 02:04 AM said:
SO I JUST ORDERED A GP2X!

Gulp, got it with the 1gb card so it is over two hundred dollars and I hope I don't have to fiddle too much with it and it really is easy to emulate most consoles, just get the emulator and put the roms in a rom folder. If not, I can return it for a small restocking fee. I have a feeling that for emulation of most consoles it will be pretty easy.

The only problem there is 1 gb will be too small especially if you will be using NeoGeo and Doom wads. I have a 4 gb card and i need more space. You may want to look into getting a bigger card someday, they are pretty cheap online.

The only problem there is 1 gb will be too small especially if you will be using NeoGeo and Doom wads. I have a 4 gb card and i need more space. You may want to look into getting a bigger card someday, they are pretty cheap online.

I understand. I guess I want to "dip my toes" in first. That is why I didn't go "hogwild" getting a really large SD card. If I really enjoy the GP2X I'll definitely invest in bigger cards. My Asus only has 512 mb and I never really used all of it. I play mainly NES, GB, GBC, SNES but want to add MAME, Genesis, TG16, NeoGeo and NeoGeo Pocket, and Lynx emulators to the GP2X. If I don't get really big roms I should be able to fit plenty of stuff on the 1GB card.

Blah posted on Dec 28 2006 at 10:04 PM said:
Just don't try anything bigger than 2gb, it wont work.

Um, what? 4GB cards work fine ... :huh:

Back