Hibernation on the Pandora

OmegaPhil

According to the wiki, the OS supports hibernation (suspend to disk), however in XFCE4 neither suspend or hibernate is a logout option (and when you turn them on via the settings editor XFCE4 doesn't know how to do these). How do you trigger hibernation on the Pandora?

Thanks

When you flick the power button,

AFIAK when you hit the power button when unplugged it goes to suspend to RAM mode, if you hit it when it is charging it goes into low power mode as it needs to be semi powered to charge properly.. It's also why when you plug in the charger when in suspend mode it wakes up... 

Thats suspend, not hibernation.
Ah suspend to disk.. I get those mixed up.. seeing how the only place to suspend to disk consistently would be the NAND that only has ~100MBs of free space I doubt it's supported. 

I get about two and a half weeks in suspend mode on a 75% charged battery, not sure the benefit of suspend to disk over the current setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that is why I was interested - of course there is the option of using the SD slots too. Since someone put it in the wiki, presumably the functionality is there, so the question still stands ;)

Yes, I've seen the same on the wiki. I can only assume that's outdated data that got superceded by developments, as there was quite a lot of work done on power management and power modes in the early days.

As far as we know we only have the options of on, low power mode (switch slid right, charging), standby (RAM powered, CPU off, switch right, on battery), and off. But it wouldn't surprise me if I'm wrong tbh.

I usually put the OP in the fridge.

Joke aside, i'm not sure it's that helpful to have a suspend to disk.

To you see a special use for it ?

0 power drain while keeping stuff 'live' some what. I'm going to use the Pandora more now again, I guess I'll be seeing how good suspend is here in the meantime.

Suspend to disk would have to write ~500MB to an SD card at ~15MB/s (if you have a fast enough card). So it would take at least 30 seconds to go into hibernation, and the same to get out of it. All that IO consumes some power too, so the hibernation better be for a few days or else it's not really worth it.

Still, in some cases (when less RAM is used) it could still work, so it may be sufficiently useful to try to get it to work. I don't think there's support for it at the moment, at least not easily.

OK, I have updated the wiki to reflect the fact its not supported. Its a fair point that the I/O will be power intensive on its own.

Back