Hexen II Port, Feasible?

Adventus

GP Mania
Im still in anticipation for my F200 and probably will be for the next month or so, so i've been trying to think of some projects to get me started. I've noticed that Heretic, Hexen 1 and Quake2x looks like they're running pretty well on the gp2x, so i figured the next logical step would be a port of Hexen 2. Actually im quite surprised nobody else is currently developing one....

Its already been done.... to a certain extent.... on the PSP, but would it be feasible on the GP2X? Im guessing something would have to be offloaded to the 940 even thou the PSP port seems to be just using the software renderer (not sure how playable it is though). From what i can deduce its largely based of the quake engine so i could almost, after some heavy modification.... *cough* cutting and pasting *cough*.... rebuild quake2x with hexen 2.

If you have any other realistic port suggestions (AKA opensource and GP2X-able) i would also be interested in your comments.

EDIT: Damn the topic name screwed itself....
EDIT2: Well it seems a mod fixed the topic name.... and broke the topic description. XD.

Adventus said:
Im still in anticipation for my F200 and probably will be for the next month or so, so i've been trying to think of some projects to get me started. I've noticed that Heretic, Hexen 1 and Quake2x looks like they're running pretty well on the gp2x, so i figured the next logical step would be a port of Hexen 2. Actually im quite surprised nobody else is currently developing one....

Its already been done.... to a certain extent.... on the PSP, but would it be feasible on the GP2X? Im guessing something would have to be offloaded to the 940 even thou the PSP port seems to be just using the software renderer (not sure how playable it is though). From what i can deduce its largely based of the quake engine so i could almost, after some heavy modification.... *cough* cutting and pasting *cough*.... rebuild quake2x with hexen 2.

If you have any other realistic port suggestions (AKA opensource and GP2X-able) i would also be interested in your comments.

EDIT: Damn the topic name screwed itself....
Sounds like a good idea for a port. But the Hexen2 I know requires OpenGL. Maybe the port allows software.

Anyway, there is a sugestion section which is easier enough to find.

EDIT: http://uhexen2.sourceforge.net/ - oh~~~ it does suport software. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, there is a sugestion section which is easier enough to find.
Yea i had a look through the "Cool Ideas and other wishes" section (is that what your referring to?) but it seems to be mostly people asking for completely unreasonable ports (AKA no source or halo, etc) and the other 50% are fairly old and have already been done (like ROtT and Exult).... I guess LBA (via twinengine) is another possibility.

Yea uHexen2 is currently what im looking into.

yeah, so 90% of the posts in that section are crazy, but that's where request go.

I think most of the possible ports are done already. A lot of these ports need touchups. But touching up on other peoples work isn't very interesting

icurafu said:
I think most of the possible ports are done already.

Hexen and heretic ports are simulators of a deafman! I cannot play these without midi music :(

I've said it before and I'll say it again: what we need is a port of ZDoom to the GP2X.
We'd have Doom, Heretic, Hexen and Strife all in one program, as well as opening up the path to a seriously large number of add-on mods and TCs.

ZDoom for the win! http://zdoom.org/about.html

I've said it before and I'll say it again: what we need is a port of ZDoom to the GP2X.
Thanks for saying it once more. I'll add it to my list of future projects. As a result, i may be able to fix the music problems for Draken & quasist.... but i think Hexen 2 will be more rewarding, so ill try that first.

AFAIK Hexen 2 uses the Quake engine. Since Quake runs pretty nice on the gp2x, I could not see a reason why Hexen 2 wouldn't.

ledro said:
AFAIK Hexen 2 uses the Quake engine. Since Quake runs pretty nice on the gp2x, I could not see a reason why Hexen 2 wouldn't.

Acutally I found Quake to run quite choppy, even at 270Mhz... Since Hexen2 is an upgraded version of the Quake engine (not sure about it) I wonder how well it could run... But I would definitelly appreciate playing H2 on the GP2X ;)

Back