Release Here is a PND for LOAD81

Thats very weird - I can't reproduce this. For me, its all fullscreen. Could you re-download it and try again? Also, maybe you've got an old profile.txt floating around somewhere - so delete the old .PND before you re-download.

I have to say I don't full understand the caching policies of .PND yet. If you can get into your Pandora while LOAD81 is running (just leave it at picklelauncher, the first screen), do "find /mnt -name profile.txt -print" and see if you've got an old profile.txt floating around in there somewhere. The one in the defconf/ dir should have "--full" in the args - if not, then thats the problem.

I deleted everything and it fixed it... weird, but sorted, cheers ;)

BTW - Performance is great. I shrunk the flames down to size 8, used half the screen width, and increased MaxFlames to 1000, and it still ran nice and fast.

Thats great to hear pmprog! Now if only we could get a few more guys interested in using LOAD81 to write software on their Pandora, it'd be great .. ;)

I guess when the cloud-hosting feature gets implemented this week, it might suddenly get a lot more attention. :p

New version uploaded to http://w1xer.at/LOAD81.pnd

Features some fixes regarding bitdepth selection, as well as the new falldown.lua application.

Some nice things planned for LOAD81 this week, hope we start to see some more interest soon!

I wrote a couple of years back a vector game engine in Win32 Assembly. I've attached a screenshot of a game I was building with it (got the demo on my HDD at home). Might be nice to get something like that working with LOAD81.

Hence why I was asking about polygons ^_^

File I/O would be good, but I could always modify my Vector Studio to spit out some LOAD81 code instead.

Oh, this project kinda stopped being worked on when I saw Castle Crashers being released. Who'd have thunk somebody else would have gone medival w/ cellshaded sprites at the same time... pffft. We were also going to use this engine for our Werewolves game, but Dave's now doing bitmapped sprites for that.

ivanvector.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Polygon support is possible, surely .. we've got SDL_gfx primitives already, so its just a matter of either a) convincing antirez to add 'em, or B) submitting a nice patch to him that implements them already. ;)

My next LOAD81 contribution will probably be in the area of sound ..

Cool, looking forward to some sound :)

I'll keep hoping antirez is still reading this thread and will add it; I'm way behind in Collector Plus, which I should be working on if I want to hit the compo.

Need... more... time... ^_^

Oooh... this is cool. Only a few minor problems with the editor (can't click to go to a position, home/end and page up/down don't work), but this is such a cool idea that I might see if I can help antirez out with some of it (minor stuff like that, anyway).

Nice work all around!

You can click to navigate now, this was added recently. I also added joysticks (nub) support, just waiting for it to get merged before I do a new LOAD81.pnd update. After that I'll have a look at any other Open Pandora -specific issues that exist (maybe some shift-keys don't work, dunno yet) and fix them, then .. sound!

If you guys want to play with the nubs from LOAD81 any time soon, my fork is available which adds full nub joystick support: http://github.com/seclorum/load81

I'm waiting for the pull request to be serviced by antirez, and I have confidence that he'll accept it, but in case you want to start coding nub support in a LOAD81 program already, nubs-as-joysticks are fully working now. Both nubs work great as joystick input devices within LOAD81, sticking the values in named tables. The joystick.lua demo highlights this by showing you in realtime what the joysticks are doing.

Don't forget to switch modes with the Pandora nub-mode GUI first, though! (As soon as I figure out a clean way to do this programmatically within the LOAD81 environment, I'll add it..)

Don't forget to switch modes with the Pandora nub-mode GUI first, though! (As soon as I figure out a clean way to do this programmatically within the LOAD81 environment, I'll add it..)
I might be wrong, but don't you just open the device as a file, and write the new mode in as a string?

Seems to be what it's implying here

Yeah, thats how you do it, but unfortunately doing it during a LOAD81 session with Lua won't work - LOAD81 needs to be restarted to re-scan for joysticks. I have to add a joystick_rescan() function, I suppose, for this to work properly .. or add joystick rescan during the switch from editor to Lua-process state. Until antirez wakes up and pulls my request though, and we've had a chance to discuss this, the best thing is to put the nubs in joystick mode manually, then start LOAD81. Of course it would be better if we could just switch nub modes with a function call within LOAD81 itself, but this requires a discussion about how to deal with platform-specific Lua functionality within LOAD81, and antirez hasn't been paying much attention to LOAD81 in the last few days (he's been busy with redis stuff..)

Anyway, it'd be really nice to get some feedback on joysticks and confirmation that joystick.lua is working for you ..

I tested it out last night (after messing with the Makefile because it couldn't find the pkg-configs for SDL), and the joysticks work very well. I've only tested joystick.lua so far, but it worked pretty nice.

Great! What did you have to change with pkg-config, out of interest? I don't have to change anything, but I'm using the CDevtools PND shell, and it has everything already set up. Did you try changing "PKG_CONFIG_PATH=<somepath> make" by any chance?

just tried the current pnd - works nice and is fun for some tiny hacking sessions on the pandora.

just modified the keyboard sample to show the text on the screen and not on the console :)

Great! What did you have to change with pkg-config, out of interest? I don't have to change anything, but I'm using the CDevtools PND shell, and it has everything already set up. Did you try changing "PKG_CONFIG_PATH=<somepath> make" by any chance?

No, I edited the Makefile and put -I/usr/include/SDL and -lSDL -lSDL_gfx and commented out the pkg-config parts. I was tired last night, and just wanted to get it to work before I went to bed :p

I'm running off an SD card, so I have all the parts installed through opkg.

I think for future reference you just need to point PKG_CONFIG_PATH to wherever your sdl.pc file is, and type make.

Back