Help Test My New Gp32 Game

Imerion

I made a small game in order to get used to the excellent Fenix-language. It turned out quite well and I thought you might want to try it.
The objective is to dodge the falling icicles and pick up as many packets as possible in order to get a high-score.
I think it is ported correctly, since I made a Linux-version first which I ported to GP32.
Scaled down the graphics and so on. The game can be found here :
http://www.freewebtown.com/Imerion/istappgp.zip
Please tell me if it works, and if its slow or something like that. I don't have my GP here for the moment so I cannot test it, but it should work fine.
The Fenix-runtime is needed, but it is included in the file.
The Linux version can be found here if anyone wants it as well : http://www.freewebtown.com/Imerion/istapplinux.zip
There is also a Win-port : http://www.freewebtown.com/Imerion/istappwin.zip

Also, here is a screen :
istapp.jpg

Please keep in mind its just a small game I made to get used to Fenix, it isn't and is not meant to be a big professional game. Still, any comments and ideas are wellcome.

we've got both a betatest forum and a fenix forum, i think it would have been more appropriate to post there...

but i'll give it a try :)

just tested it (on my pc), first of all, have you played it on you gp32? i see transparent clouds, transparancy on the gp32 is very bugged (usually no transparancy at all...)
i'm also a bit afraid of the framerate, mode 7, attempt at transparancy (if you're lucky it might work), luckily not too many moving objects...

and the gameplay is just a bit too basic atm, but very good start, i must admit

btw, with what fenix did you compile it? i had to recompile it with the fenix i use for my gp32 in order to get it work, are you sure it'll work? your version of fenix might be wrong...

i've also checked the code, it's okay, but use more tabs to make it more readable, and make the processes a bit more flexible... for example you've got cloud 1, 2, 3 and 4, why not make 1 cloud process where you give the differences between the clouds as arguments? that's the entire goal of processes and the arguments you can give (thus in the cloud case you'd call cloud(graph, initial x, initial y, anything else that's important) ).

Thanks for trying it out and for the comments. (and sorry for posting in the wrong forum...).

I used Fenix version 0,84b. Is there a special one which should be used with the GP?
Sorry for missing that. Could you upload the correctly compiled version, so I can update the zip-file? That would help a lot.

As for the code, yes, I should use tabs more. I am aware of the problem, Im just forgetting :).
Also, Ill remember what you mentioned about the processes. Thats one of the main reasons I did the game, to get used to them. I have mostly been programming Basic-like languages and this is a whole new way of doing it.
As for the transcluencies, I used dithering just because of speed issues. Doesn't look as good, but it won't affect speed more than a normal sprite. Btw, how do you do transparencies in Fenix? Or perhaps I should ask at that board. :)

each process has an alpha variable (like the x, y, graph,...), but it's bugged, and unusable on the gp32....

just go to the gp32x filearchive, the right fenix can be found there :)

Yes, I went there. But there were only download for the Windows-version of the Fenix Compiler. I run Linux. I tried running that version through Wine though, and came up with this version. Now it should work for GP32, unless Wine failed to run the Win Fenix Compiler correctly.

File is the same : http://www.freewebtown.com/Imerion/istappgp.zip

Please, could someone just tell me if the current version runs? I think I compiled it correct, but I can't be certain since I don't have my GP at home for the moment.

Please, could someone just tell me if the current version runs? I think I compiled it correct, but I can't be certain since I don't have my GP at home for the moment.
it works on the fenix version on my pc(which is the right one), so i should be okay :)
and you either compiled it with a commandline, or you found out how to disable the debugger :)

well done :)

Last edited by a moderator:
and you either compiled it with a commandline, or you found out how to disable the debugger

Yes, I compiled from a commandline this time. I did wonder why the file got so much smaller though. Now I know.

There is now a bigger slowdown than before. At first it is at normal speed than it takes about around 20 seconds to mve once.

Perhaps it gets slow after a while when the amount of icicles increases. Ill try to speed it up!

Back