Help me tell the BBC about the Pandora.

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
Some of you may have read this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9406690.stm

I then watched the program itself and while interesting I was frustrated that they made no mention of the GP32, GP2X, Pandora etc.

They actually said the only way to get an open system was to buy a PC.

Their argument for the PS3 was that you get continued support from Sony and that is the trade off.

Anyhow, the squeaky wheel gets the grease and I think we need to let them know about the Pandora, Click tend to be good at doing follow ups on stories so there is a good chance they will let the world know that there are open source non-PC machines out there.

The program is one of the most watched computer shows in the world (it goes out on BBC World).

Their contact page is here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/about_the_programme/default.stm

The general gist of what we need ask them is why they didn't mention open source consoles/computers such as the Pandora.

It would be most wonderful if you could spend 2 minutes doing that.

Thanks,

Craig

Their argument for the PS3 was that you get continued support from Sony and that is the trade off.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

<snip>

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

No. Really. Sony's idea of "continued support" is continuing to remove features that people want, and replace them with new ways to pay them more money. Seriously, they're CHARGING for an auto-update service, what the fuck!? Sony's PS3 is absolutely notorious for being a pain-in-the-freakin' ass when it comes to software updates. More so when Sony's "continued support" involves continuing to push out minor version revisions with no other purpose than to attempt to thwart hackers and raise the version number bar for people wanting to play online.

Disclaimer: I own two PS3s and a PSP... so I'm really not making this stuff up.

Anyway. Ranting aside. I have emailed them.

I'd absolutely love to interview you and compile an article about the Pandora which could be submitted to the Beeb. It would focus on the likes of the DS/PSP in relation to the Pandora, explain the difference in pricing strategies, and highlight the fact that the Pandora does so much more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy to help, writing a message right now.

EDIT:

gave them a nice brief history lesson of open handheld devices ;)

EDIT 2:

I'd absolutely love to interview you and compile an article about the Pandora which could be submitted to the Beeb. It would focus on the likes of the DS/PSP in relation to the Pandora, explain the difference in pricing strategies, and highlight the fact that the Pandora does so much more.

That's a great idea, although I have no clue what 'Beeb' is.

EDIT 3:

Actually I know exactly what the Beeb is, I lived in England for 4 years, how would I not know that. I need sleep.

I think this may have some potential for backlash, though .. if they promote the Pandora as a "UK homegrown effort to produce an open console", then you are going to get a *lot* of people wondering why the hell it takes Two Months for their orders to be fulfilled ..

Sent :)

I said along the lines of "it's a shame people reading your article will now assume there is nothing out there remotely open other than their "PC" which is a shame because if you had bothered to do a simple google of "open source console" you would find quite a few consoles showing not only is there a market for open source kit that people can hack and mod as much as they please, but that it's diversified enough to have a range of different consoles (tiny handheld for pure gaming to a clamshell design with a full keyboard).

That's quite a coincidence, just logged on to start a topic with the suggestion that you get in touch with the Digital Planet team on the BBC world service about the Pandora.

They have also been discussing openness of digital devices.

My gut feeling is that they might be a little more receptive to covering the Pandora than click.

It would be great to see the Pandora getting more mainstream media coverage now production seems to be running more smoothly. However it would make sense to me to delay the media blitz until a few things have been done, such as :

Shipping all of batch 1.

Getting a newbie friendly download of the best of Pandora Software together.

Finishing the changes to the official website.

Being able to meet the expected increase in demand for Pandoras.

I'll make you a deal, as soon as you actually get round to sending me what I paid for all those years ago, I'll consider helping you publicise it?

As far as I can see, it really would not be in my interests to attract further customers, everyone who buys a premium pandora (the only ones now available), pushes me one place further back in the queue.

I sent click an email about the Pandora at least a year or so ago, happy to do so again; in fact I just did :eek: )

Back