Read thread first. What should I do?

• Use what you have!

• Get a new smartphone.

• Get a new music player.

• Get a new tablet.

• Wait for the Pyra and suck it up.

• Other suggestion in my post.

Results are only viewable after voting.

My mother bought a 2016 spec Sandisk Clip sport early last year, and it lasted about a year before it started to corrupt it's filesystem and then brick itself entirely. But then she was putting new audio on there on average about twice a week, and deleting the files as she listened to them, as she was using it to listen to podcasts. That's relatively harsh use for flash storage, but I've been using a Sandisk Ultra card for my system home directories on this laptop for over a year now (since the internal mini-PATA controller chip went pop) and under that I have my browser cache and also podcasts downloaded about as frequently, and there's no sign as yet of that suddenly going dark. I guess they use the cheapest of their cheap flash parts in these players, and probably have dodgy wear levelling as well.

Because a few weeks' podcasts generally fit in a few GB just fine. But yeah, had I known how fragile the supplied flash was, maybe using a uSD card with it would have been sensible. Still doesn't excuse the shoddy workmanship though.

Back