Help Me Choose My New Dvd Player :)

Magic Sam

Forever Homebrew
Hi,

I lack a good DVD player, at the moment I have to watch my movies on an homebrew-enabled Wii...

Do you know any good DVD players that I could plug to my 10 years old Thomson S2021G TV set (SCART, S-video and RCA connectors), and to a pair of Cakewalk MA-15D monitors.(sampling rate up to 192KHz, 24 bits D/A converter, with RCA or digital input optical and coaxial connectors) ?

It should also be a great CD audio player, and if possible able to play music and video files in various formats (like OGG, xvid...) from an SD card, USB key, or even from the network...

EDIT: are MPMAN XVD* products any good ?

Bye and thanks for your help !

Magic Sam

Magic Sam said:
Hi,

I lack a good DVD player, at the moment I have to watch my movies with an homebrew-enabled Wii...

Do you know any good DVD players that I could plug to my 10 years old Thomson S2021G TV set (SCART, S-video and RCA connectors), and to a pair of Cakewalk MA-15D monitors.(sampling rate up to 192KHz, 24 bits D/A converter, with RCA or digital input optical and coaxial connectors) ?

It should also be a great CD audio player, and if possible able to play music and video files in various formats (like OGG, xvid...) from an SD card, USB key, or even from the network...

EDIT: are MPMAN XVD* products any good ?

Bye and thanks for your help !

Magic Sam

They're kind of big but I'd recommend an xbox 1 for doing this. They're cheap (£30 at CeX and so on, whoops, you're French), super easy to softmod and can use XBMC, so you get region free DVD playing, media playing over USB(you'd need a cheap cable to get that, but the ports on the front are actually USB), media playing over the network and so on. Plus on top of that, you can get those DVD remote things to make it more like a dedicated player.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Titcher :)

Thanks, but I'd rather have a genuine DVD player, not some video game console...

And I'd like something thin (about 5cm in height max)...

Finally, my religion ( known as Linuxism, we worship the Great Penguin) forbides me to buy Microsoft products ;)

Any other ideas ?

Bye, and thanks again !

Magic Sam

i would just like to come in here to say my thanks for not buying an xbox

Magic Sam said:
I lack a good DVD player, at the moment I have to watch my movies on an homebrew-enabled Wii...
That's like saying "I don't have any bacon, but I have a pig and a knife" :p (Not really, actually a bad analogy... nevermind)
Why do you need yet another device? A homebrew enabled Wii is perfectly capable of playing DVDs.

1+, but if Linuxism prevents Micro$oft products, buy a PS3 secondhand. It should play stuff off SD cards IIRC..

Hi guys :)

WizardStan said:
A homebrew enabled Wii is perfectly capable of playing DVDs [...]
I never said the contrary, but many DVDs just don't run, and there are a lot of issues, that's why I want a dedicated DVD player, and not a video game console...
Jourdy288 said:
buy a PS3 secondhand [...]
A PS3 on a 10 years old TV set :blink:

Seriously, do you guys know any good DVD player (model or brand) that I could buy ?

Bye and many thanks for your suggestions !

Magic Sam

Magic Sam said:
Hi guys :)

WizardStan said:
A homebrew enabled Wii is perfectly capable of playing DVDs [...]
I never said the contrary, but many DVDs just don't run, and there are a lot of issues, that's why I want a dedicated DVD player, and not a video game console...
Jourdy288 said:
buy a PS3 secondhand [...]
A PS3 on a 10 years old TV set :blink:

Seriously, do you guys know any good DVD player (model or brand) that I could buy ?

Bye and many thanks for your suggestions !

Magic Sam

Surely just about any DVD player will suffice? These things are everywhere. Just pop in to your local supermarket and buy the one with the features you want.

I honestly don't think it is possible to get a bad DVD player these days. Mine cost $20 at Walmart, before I repurposed my Wii for playing DVDs. I've yet to encounter a DVD that doesn't play, but if you're set on getting a real DVD player, just do what I did: go into Walmart or Target or wherever, buy the cheapest one you can find. It's really hard to go wrong these days.

Hi,

@ trooper: this player also features SCART, S-video and composite video outputs, with HDMI and 1080p compatibility for new HDTV sets.

@ WizardStan: Most DVD players I've seen in supermarkets only support proprietary formats like WMA and lack backward compatibility with older TV sets (only HDMI, YUV, progressive composite, etc...), that's why I thought I'd ask here for advice, before buying anything.

btw, I've found another player which seems to be really great: H&B DNX-8620

What do you think about it ?

Bye, Magic Sam

Jourdy288 said:
1+, but if Linuxism prevents Micro$oft products, buy a PS3 secondhand. It should play stuff off SD cards IIRC..

Well "Linuxism" should prevent you from buying any Sony products as well, since they are sueing/harassing everyone who put Linux back on the PS3...

Back