Help: Bits Falling Off!

Gruntfuggly

Mostly Harmless
Website
www.zaonce.com
I just got my GP2X out of the car and noticed a rattling inside. Everything looked to be in place from the outside so I opened her up and what looks like a large capacitor has fallen off the PCB. It's got 30,000 stamped on the top and it was sitting in the bottom left hand corner as you look from the back. Anybody know what it's for and whether or not it's safe to run without it attached? The unit seems to be working fine...

Do a forum search for rattle/rattling and capacitor. This is a known thing to happen and has been explained.

-Kensupen

Gruntfuggly posted on Aug 5 2006 at 10:14 AM said:
Cheers - I'll take a look...

Hmmm - the others seem to have had problems with a small capacitor - c106. Mine is a larger one...

where did you buy it from?

think you should just return it

Last edited by a moderator:
You can buy a similar part (as the legs probably broke off, good look reattaching it) and solder the replacement in.. or just send it back. This is a good reason for returning a unit if ever there was one. :) At any rate the '2x probably works without it, but it might have quirks. Unclean DC signals might lead to stability, stray AC currents on some lines may cause intereference that messes with things, your battery life may be impacted, things like that. Capacitors generally act as open circuits electrically, so it usually wouldn't fuck the unit if one fell off.

Since a capacitor is the case, I wouldn't use it untill it's fixed. That thing isn't in there for nothing you know ;)

Well, I've used it a few times and not noticed any problems so I'm not going to worry too much about it. I'll see if I can get a replacement capacitor.

The unit came from somebody on here who was selling it cheap (£60) cos it had a hair under the glass - came out pretty easily though...

Thanks for everyone's comments...

Back