Hellollo

atomicthumbs

I am the king of the collectors, with hospital bed
Website
printeronfire.org
I'm announcing Hellollo, an IRC client I'm [about to start] writing for the Pandora. I'm planning on using Python, Twisted, and PyQt.

Features:

• Optimized for the small screen
  • Optimized for thumbboard (predictive text input and/or Dasher support)
  • Various normal IRC features (highlighting, logging, etc.)
  • Bot mode! Amaze your friends by becoming a learning chatbot.

Current status: Learning Twisted, writing IRC core.

TODO:

• Finish learning Twisted and writing IRC core
  • Learn PyQt, interface IRC core with UI, lay out UI
  • Write logging system
  • Write bot system, implement bots
  • This
  • that
  • the other

Hey, I do have a trademark on the word! ... not :)

XChat is preinstalled, but the chatbot idea sounds cool :D

Good luck :) (I mean that sincerely, not sarcasticly.)

I do find it odd to announce something before you've even begun it, but if you're planning to use this thread as a sort of blogroll to record your progress, ups and downs, design ideas, etc, that could be really fun; a friend of mine put together a console-IRC client (http://rhapsody.sourceforge.net/) so I'll be interested to see how yours goes :) Could even get yourself a gp32x based blog, to keep it close to the community here.

jef

skeezix said:
Good luck :)  (I mean that sincerely, not sarcasticly.)

skeezix said:
but if you're planning to use this thread as a sort of blogroll to record your progress, ups and downs, design ideas, etc, that could be really fun

that's my plan

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a good idea. Some advice, though, you might want to make certain GUI elements kinda large so they're easy to tap, but keep the GUI pretty light and have the user access things through commands (but also have a kinda drop down menu thing if they want... kinda like the big button in MS-Office, would also help if menu items showed their command counterpart as well, so the user can learn them as they use the program.).

EvilDragon said:

Actualy, JarJar Binks introduced this word in SW: Episode 1. ;)

lulzfish said:
Make a browser toolbar as well.

It will have appealing free offers targeted towards Pandora users from relevant companies pop up every thirty seconds for your convenience

shell+screen+irssi along with auth keys is as optimized as it gets for a mobile device, and it works out the box (if you have it set up at your shell) :)

mIRC has an embedded scripting language that allows users to, among other things, create their own chatbots. I was wondering if this would have anything similar.

Aethix said:
mIRC has an embedded scripting language that allows users to, among other things, create their own chatbots. I was wondering if this would have anything similar.

Not planning on it

Iorgy77 said:
Please allow for multiple servers. Also have "user name" and "password" support so I can use it with my bnc. :)

Planning on it

If it's written in python, it shouldn't be terribly difficult to extend on one's own. Hell, if it's popular enough, it might end up getting a fork with proper add-on scripts support added. :p

paulguy said:
If it's written in python, it shouldn't be terribly difficult to extend on one's own.  Hell, if it's popular enough, it might end up getting a fork with proper add-on scripts support added. :p

I'll see about it when I get there, and I'll try to leave hooks to make it easy to develop when other stuff is done :p

fusion_power said:
EvilDragon said:

Actualy, JarJar Binks introduced this word in SW: Episode 1. ;)

He did? OMG! I HATE this stupid what-ever-it-may-be-for-an-animal.
I tried to erase SW: EP1 from my memory as quickly as possible.
Seems it did work.

But... oh no... accidentally talking like JarJar? Somebody kill me, please.

Last edited:
Back