Headphone Port Combination

If the adapter comes with it I don't mind because finding such a thing could be hard. Even if you add 5 bucks to cover it I wouldn't mind.

I'm not too sure exactly what this new thing would do though.

Oh and like monkeyo2 said mentioned, I am concerned about how secure the plug is in the Pandora. It needs to clip in somehow or some other secure connection method.

wait... if video is one of the things that this can be used for would the normal tv out port be eliminated. Would it have any effect on video quality by using this sort of thing or on sound quality by putting your headphones in through an adapter?

A direct port would be better, however if you guys can get a wired remote control supplied for free (without increasing the cost significantly) then that would be a lot better. Something like the remote found on most Sony Ericsson phones:

gpsenablerhge1001ud1.jpg

flatmush said:
I'd rather have access to a straight headphone port for ease of use, but if having the adapter will make the design easier and mean that the pandora has less ports about the place then it's a good choice.
I'd rather have an all in one port than make the pandora look like a usb hub with lots of ports all round.
More ports are always better. Having only one connector that serves several functions means you can only perform one of those functions at a time (unless you have more elaborate special connectors).

There are plenty of legitimate situations where you may need to use headphones in conjunction with an external microphone or TV-out.

Elimination of a standard headphone jack should be a last resort. If we can keep the 3.5mm jack and have an ext connector, that is a far better situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we have both? Two people could listen to music/video with headphones, and still have the the other capabilities. Also as long as the adapter comes with the system.

Have you looked at a 4 conductor 3.5mm jack like the newer ipod shuffles use? The ipod shuffle uses it for both headphones and USB (pwr, gnd, D+, D-; I believe). I think video cameras often use the same 4 conductor 3.5mm jack to get composite video and stereo audio out (Video, Audio R, Audio L, gnd).

If you can squeeze UART (I'm not sure what lines you need) and any other thing you want into 4 conductors, I think the 3.5mm jack would be ideal. Headphones can be plugged directly into it, and the 4-pole plugs should be fairly cheap, as it is pretty standard, for users who want to access the other features.

This webpage has a picture of the plug and its pinout for video/audio in a few media devices. I kind of don't like how video and audio ground is shared, but I'm not sure if that will affect quality that much.

Mouser has a 5 conductor jack, MF PN: STX-3150-5N, but I have never seen that before. I don't think it will be as cheap or easy to get as the 4-pole jacks and plugs.

It may end up having to be 2 ports, a small ext and a normal headphone port, it's just a bit of a space issue.

craigix said:
It may end up having to be 2 ports, a small ext and a normal headphone port, it's just a bit of a space issue.
why not just for sheer simplicity sake just use a simple USB head set?

Is there anything like a 8-pin mini USB connector?

I've found this, but I think the description is a little unclear.

http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/USB-co.../1000882740.htm
(Check the third link for a 8-pin mini-USB connector)

If it's really a 8-pin mini-USB connector, it would be perfect for an EXT port.

Although I understand you need a converter, an not a connector, indeed.

novaslogic said:
craigix said:
why not just for sheer simplicity sake just use a simple USB head set?

For one USB headsets use their own sound chip and also why should i buy separate earphones if i already have high quality ones. Sorry, but that is definitely not a good idea.

I must say, I'd consider it pretty much a necessity to have a standard output for headphones. I can just see the adapter getting lost too easily.

If it does need to be two ports, then, assuming it's not going to boost prices, I'd say go for it. Better that than being unable to sort out the situation when you remember the Pandora, but forget your headphones which have the adaptor attached. Very annoying to get to the airport, swear, and then not even be able to buy some cheap headphones from the nearest Dixons.

Chip said:
Having to use a dongle for standard headphones is far from ideal. Is there absolutely no room to put a standard headphone jack next to an ext connector?

If there is no other option, then I guess it is what it is, but I don't see anybody wanting a semi-proprietary headphone connector.
i agree entirely.

Chip said:
There are plenty of legitimate situations where you may need to use headphones in conjunction with an external microphone or TV-out.

Elimination of a standard headphone jack should be a last resort. If we can keep the 3.5mm jack and have an ext connector, that is a far better situation.
Agreed.

craigix said:
This would probably be your best bet Craigix even if it'd have to increase the size by just a little or not at all. :D

Personally, I think the headphone jack should be on the front (or at least side), while the TV out should be on the back. When having it hooked up to a TV, you'll want it to be facing you, especially if you use it as a controller as well (which also means you might want to make sure the TV out is of decent length).

Zarneth said:
I'd want to be able to use my $100 sennheiser headphones. :D
I'd want to be able to use my $30 sennheiser headphones. :D

Back