Headphone Jack

Hobo

Website
Visit site
Hey all
today i decided to use my headphones with my GP2X and as stated everywhere you have to push the jack into the socket really hard so that all the sound comes from the headphones. I pushed it in and suddenly the whole jack came apart and now it is rattling away in my unit :( :( :(

If anyone else has done this is it possible to fix the jack?

If not i think its back to Gbax.

Thanks

Hey all
  today i decided to use my headphones with my GP2X and as stated everywhere you have to push the jack into the socket really hard so that all the sound comes from the headphones. I pushed it in and suddenly the whole jack came apart and now it is rattling away in my unit :(  :(  :(

If anyone else has done this is it possible to fix the jack?

If not i think its back to Gbax.

Thanks

Welcome to the Club !

I've sent back my rattling GP2X to Craig this very morning: I can solder but I do prefer to replace my faulty unit with a new one.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been known to happen:
Are you sure the headphones are in all the way. I tried headphones yesterday and could here sound from the speakers. I just pushed the jack in harder and sound was clear and loud .

That's what I did and it made the plug come lose disappear into the gp2x. Now earphones are not possible anymore :(

That's just happened to me also....time to send it back to GBAX I suppose :(
Unless you have the right equipment and are proficient at soldering you better return the unit to GBAX.

It's not "really hard", but "all the way".

Putting the headphone jack in to the GP2X is like making love to a beautifull woman. You have to ease it gently in, make sure it's not tangled or twisted, and the push firmly, but still gently. Also make sure you have fresh batteries inserted, for optimum performance.

Putting the headphone jack in to the GP2X is like making love to a beautifull woman. You have to ease it gently in, make sure it's not tangled or twisted, and the push firmly, but still gently. Also make sure you have fresh batteries inserted, for optimum performance.
Hehe, I think it's more a case of being lucky and having a jack that fits correctly and
isn't cold soldered to the unit ;)

:huh:
Do you insert fresh batteries in a beautiful woman ???

It ain't the jack that matters, as my GF used to say.
Yeah, when I get my unit I'm definantely not going thrust the headphone plug like a jack hammer into the socket. That would kill anything. But if the jack isn't soldered correctly it's going to come loose sooner or later.

I'd say yes. It's a hardware defect and you have a 1 Year Guarantee. It's not like it's difficult to fix it anyways. Better talk to them first though.

i phoned them just now. Put me on answering machine.

I opened up the gp2x to remove the ratteling headphone plug - this voids warrantee! Better not do it I say. I mailed Craig about it a couple of days ago but didn't get any reply yet. I bet the guy is swamped with work and I don't feel like bothering him about it since my father in law has been an engineer at the Philips company (video tapes, solid state video, mpeg encoding are his things). He has agreed to teach me how to solder properly AND at the same time fix my gp2x headphone plug.

He'll thoroughly examine my machine while he's at it to see if there are other problems lurking within. He might even come up with some 'improvements'. Say, is there any schematics or technical info on the gp2x that might be usefull in this respect? He is just fascinated by the machine and the fact that it runs Linux. The 64 year old might even get one himself! Go Karel!

Dont forget to make sure its completely unconsious! I mean... erm.... off....

I opened up the gp2x to remove the ratteling headphone plug - this voids warrantee! Better not do it I say. I mailed Craig about it a couple of days ago but didn't get any reply yet. I bet the guy is swamped with work and I don't feel like bothering him about it since my father in law has been an engineer at the Philips company (video tapes, solid state video, mpeg encoding are his things). He has agreed to teach me how to solder properly AND at the same time fix my gp2x headphone plug.

He'll thoroughly examine my machine while he's at it to see if there are other problems lurking within. He might even come up with some 'improvements'. Say, is there any schematics or technical info on the gp2x that might be usefull in this respect? He is just fascinated by the machine and the fact that it runs Linux. The 64 year old might even get one himself! Go Karel!

I'm not sure how useful it would be but you could download the MMSP2 hardware documentation:
http://fear.me.uk/gp2x/db.pdf

and the MMSP2 datasheet:

http://www.mesdigital.com/support/downfile...ata%20sheet.pdf

More docs here:
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Docs_%26_Papers

I really hope my GP2X does not have a headphone jack problem as it is one of the key features of it, especially for on the go. I don't want to be playing SNES or Quake or *insert game/emu here* and having everyone on the train or bus listening to it...Like wise I wouldn't mind being able to enjoy music on it.....

*crosses fingers his will not break and need to be sent back :unsure: *

:huh:
Do you insert fresh batteries in a beautiful woman ???

It gives them a nice tingling feeling inside.

I've not put any headphones in mine, frankly I'm too scared it will implode

EDIT: thats my GP2X by the way not my woman :p

When i send it back does anyone know if i will get a replaced unit from the batches at Gbax or would i have to wait until the official release in January. :( :(

Back