Has Anyone Heard Amazon May Be Making A Console?

Did you notice:

Evil Dragon is thinking of making a Pandora successor some time.

I think that's more interesting than Apple and Amazon console.

;)

Did you notice:

Evil Dragon is thinking of making a Pandora successor some time.

I think that's more interesting than Apple and Amazon console.

;)
And whats the eta for delivery on that? better give craig a ring

Did you notice: Evil Dragon is thinking of making a Pandora successor some time. I think that's more interesting than Apple and Amazon console.
yup, interesting indeed!

In an article the guy who's building an open source laptop is basically saying that once Moore's Law comes down, small buisnesses, groups or even individuals will get the chance to develop produtcs on a long term. Meaning after two years or so, they can bring their product on the market and it won't be outdated in terms of speed.

http://www.zdnet.com/building-the-open-source-laptop-how-one-engineer-turned-the-geek-fantasy-to-reality-7000018987/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, just heard about this..though I'm surprised it's taken them this long

Be interesting to see what kind of tech whatever they announce is sporting..

If it's aggressively priced, this will certainly shake things up.

Yep, just heard about this..though I'm surprised it's taken them this long

Be interesting to see what kind of tech whatever they announce is sporting..

If it's aggressively priced, this will certainly shake things up.
Well, I'm sure they wanted to show that they could step in to a new market and compete(dominate), as they have done with the Kindle. I'm sure they have just been getting their ducks in a row, and planning something totally cost effective and a "Game Changer". I'm super interested in what they bring to the table, and I'm sure it will be 100% digital as well.

Chris

its an android device with a controller.....hardly a "console" imho. itll just be something that will support the Amazon market. so all those mobile games you can buy on amazon already, youll be able to play on said android device, with a controller that amazon will make. quit trying to name everything with a controller a console

its an android device with a controller.....hardly a "console" imho. itll just be something that will support the Amazon market. so all those mobile games you can buy on amazon already, youll be able to play on said android device, with a controller that amazon will make. quit trying to name everything with a controller a console
Wikipedia

A video game console is an interactive computer that produces a video display signal which can be used with a display device (a television, monitor, etc.) to display a video game. The term "video game console" is used to distinguish a machine designed for people to buy and use primarily for playing video games on a TV in contrast to arcade machines, handheld game consoles, or home computers.
So it is more of an Android home computer with a gamepad?

Rumor is that it will use a Snapdragon S4 Prime MPQ8064 aka Snapdragon 600 8064M. It has an Adreno 320 GPU which means OpenGL ES 3.0

Are these early Android game consoles the seeds that eventually bring down the major consoles in 4 - 5 years time? Ala 80's console crash

Rumor is that it will use a Snapdragon S4 Prime MPQ8064 aka Snapdragon 600 8064M. It has an Adreno 320 GPU which means OpenGL ES 3.0

Are these early Android game consoles the seeds that eventually bring down the major consoles in 4 - 5 years time? Ala 80's console crash
Hopefully not!

Google is the devil and I'll never use the play store,

I did not even register my 3DS.

We are caught in so many webs already.

Based on the nature of the earlier Wall Street Journal leak, and what the other professional news sources have been indicating this device was originally developed as a streaming set top box to compete with the Apple TV and Roku products as a portal for Amazon Prime and media services. The more recent leaks tend to imply they decided to not go with gutless obsolete hardware, *cough* like the Apple TV *cough*, and it occurred to them to also set it up to handle Android games.

Knowing Amazon the device is liable to be a walled garden, and thus unless you really like Amazon there's not much to advocate for this over the MadCatz MOJO which is supposed to have straight vanilla Android with Play Store access and the ability to use games already tied to one's Play Store account.

I think the Mojo is set to be released this year, wasn't that rumored to have a Tegra 4

MadCatz's statements indicated their intent was to pick the most powerful SoC they could get their hands on, but they'd not finalized on a particular SoC when they were showing off their demo unit.

As far as I'm aware the Tegra 4 rumors are related to the demo unit using a Tegra 3, and MadCatz's GameSmart initiative being compatible with nVidia Tegra. Hence the two companies have been rubbing shoulders. The launch of the Shield undoubtedly also getting that SoC in people's minds.

I haven't seen anything resembling an actual leak rather as opposed to speculation based on those things. My impression is that they intentionally kept their options open. Given Android did take the step of adding support for OpenGL ES 3.0 and MadCatz stated intent, I have doubts the end product will use the Tegra 4 over something from Qualcomm. However as I said, as far as I'm aware there's no final decision yet, no leaks, and what is floating around appears to be speculation from the sidelines.

Back