Has Anyone Benchmarked The Wiz / Gp2X / Dingoo / Pandora?

Retroid

Website
Visit site
Just wondering as I've not seen such things around. Google brings up nothing and there's only one thread mentioning them on this forum, and that doesn't mention much :/

I know there are a lot of factors which affect such numbers but I'd love to know how I could expect performance differences on each machine on, for example, Outrun or 1942 using C cores. Maximum framerates at default / maximum CPU speeds.

Apologies if this has been asked before but I've searched and honestly couldn't find any such info....

I know this isn't really answering your question, but I made a video of the Wiz running 1942 here. This was running on the default MAME settings (with the exception of the rotation), so take of it what you will. And forgive my terrible camera.

I remember this from a little while back:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/45583-pandora-some-actual-performance-numbers/page__view__findpost__p__675606

sort of answers your question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah you really can't put the Pandora in the same class with these others. It will brutalize these "toys". I mean there is already a Dreamcast emu running on the Pandora, these others wouldn't be able to do that at all.

I still like the Wiz for now for older stuff though just due to the contrasty OLED.

carlgeorge said:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/45583-pandora-some-actual-performance-numbers/page__view__findpost__p__675606

That's the sort of thing I'm staggered no-one seems to have done to compare the formats. I'd love to know just what sort of difference there would be, as things like VICE and MAME would be what a Wiz / Dingoo would probably be used most for.

As for Pandora, it's just too expensive so it's mostly just curiosity. I've got an eeePC.

Retroid said:
carlgeorge said:

That's the sort of thing I'm staggered no-one seems to have done to compare the formats. I'd love to know just what sort of difference there would be, as things like VICE and MAME would be what a Wiz / Dingoo would probably be used most for.

As for Pandora, it's just too expensive so it's mostly just curiosity. I've got an eeePC.

VICE can run C64 games on normal C64 speed (by overclocking to 703 MHz), but in some games the scrolling is really bad. the strange thing is that these are usually quite old and simple games. Mayhem in Monsterland for example works absolutely perfectly, but Radar Rat Race is almost unplayable :(

MAME is usually running great on the default 533 MHz, but with some newer games it is very slow

I have an eeePC too, but it's not really the platform for gaming :) (nevertheless Mayhem in ML runs perfectly on it too...)

glezmen said:
VICE can run C64 games on normal C64 speed (by overclocking to 703 MHz), but in some games the scrolling is really bad. the strange thing is that these are usually quite old and simple games. Mayhem in Monsterland for example works absolutely perfectly, but Radar Rat Race is almost unplayable :(
Oh dear...

C64 was my format while I was at school so I've got a lot of affection for the format, to me that sounds like VICE on Wiz runs barely any faster than on my 2X and I wasn't exactly bowled over by having to use frameskip on it.

:(

Retroid said:
glezmen said:
Oh dear...

C64 was my format while I was at school so I've got a lot of affection for the format, to me that sounds like VICE on Wiz runs barely any faster than on my 2X and I wasn't exactly bowled over by having to use frameskip on it.

:(

i don't use frameskip, and you don't need it, the games run perfectly without it. why do you want to run VICE faster if it can produce the same speed as the original C64? but if you really want to, you can modify the source to be able to overlock over 703 MHz :)

I was referring to you saying you had to overclock to get VICE running games at C64 speed, and the scrolling was still bad on some games.

So far the most compelling reason to me to 'upgrade' to a Wiz or a Dingoo is the fact that both of them have higher-than-AA capacity batteries... :(

Retroid said:
I was referring to you saying you had to overclock to get VICE running games at C64 speed, and the scrolling was still bad on some games.

So far the most compelling reason to me to 'upgrade' to a Wiz or a Dingoo is the fact that both of them have higher-than-AA capacity batteries... :(
There is more reason than that. The Wiz has much better controls than a GP2X (real d-pad), it has a smaller but higher contrast screen, the battery lasts longer on a charge, It has a 3D chip (OK no one uses it yet).

Vice runs OK on the Wiz but is slower due to the accuracy I guess. Frodo was fullspeed on the GP2X but Wiz doesn't have that yet.

DaveC said:
Yeah you really can't put the Pandora in the same class with these others. It will brutalize these "toys". I mean there is already a Dreamcast emu running on the Pandora, these others wouldn't be able to do that at all.

I agree. You can't put Pandora in the same class with these "toys"... since it's not available. >_>

And before the Pandora flame-squad gets all mad, let's put it this way: It might very well be the best thing ever. On the other hand, it might be a buggy piece of crap -- or just plain doesn't live up to the years of hype. Until it's actually released, it's as mythical as it's namesake.

DaveC said:
The Wiz has much better controls than a GP2X (real d-pad), it has a smaller but higher contrast screen, the battery lasts longer on a charge, It has a 3D chip (OK no one uses it yet).
Well, yes, those are all reasons which appeal :) An ex-neighbour has a Wiz and it seems like a nice bit of kit, they're after a Dingoo too.

I suppose what I'm looking for, in regards to benchmarks, is similar to this MAME site. Except with different machines, C/ASM settings etc.

glezmen said:

MAME is usually running great on the default 533 MHz, but with some newer games it is very slow

What may seem "a simple game" depends entirely on how the native machine works in the first place.

Video game systems like the Atari 2600 and Commodore 64 are actually not as straight forward to emulate accurately as arcade machines.

Arcade machines were often very simple pieces of hardware, despite their fancy graphics.

Case in point is the Atari 2600 - it's quite complex to emulate because of the way it works. Generally the emulator needs to emulate a single CPU instruction then update the machine accordingly. Running one CPU instruction at a time is very inefficient.
MAME on the other hand can often run many 10s of thousands CPU instructions sequentially - this is much easier on the machine.

Back to the topic, I'd love to see some benchmarking of MAME on various machines - particular running the same game.

Back