Hardware modification: hold screen at an angle

A different hardware modification than previously posted.

• does not change the external appearance
  • much less drilling (you don't touch the base, just the inside of the lid's back half)
  • no epoxy glue
  • it does not damage the hinge
  • it can be disassembled again and you can restore the hinge to its normal angle.
  • still holds lid fully opened (a tiny bit more than 180 actually)
  • lid closes when on a table, not held strongly but shouldn't be an issue (do you really need it to hold closed when your Pandora is glued to the ceiling upside down?).
http://rv6502.com/index.php?blog=00000014

https://www.youtube.com/embed/1USxG63btPw?feature=oembed

you only need to grind two notches in the lid's hinge socket, then reassemble the lid held at about 120 degrees, see the picture for the proper angle.

pandora_hinge_result_large.jpg

Interesting idea, didn't I read somewhere that a DS lite hinge barrel can be used in place of the Pandora's?

Have you tried this?  A quick google search and I have seen them for sale on amazon.

Interesting idea, didn't I read somewhere that a DS lite hinge barrel can be used in place of the Pandora's?

Have you tried this?  A quick google search and I have seen them for sale on amazon.
Why would I buy a DS lite hinge when I can use the Pandora's stock hinge for free ?

My own DS has notches for 3 distinct angles, I thought this would also be the same when installed on a Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a DS Lite Hinge on the german Amazon page for 2,50€ incl. Shiping.
I will try that:)

Will try this when my replacement LCD cable arrives - good work :)

Did mod. Works nicely. the ~185o angle is actually very good in some situations.

@Evil Dragon, if you're reading this thread...

What are the chances of this nifty mod (or indeed fitting DS hinges) being incorporated into the assembly process in the factory?

This is the ultimate case mod! Can we add this to the wiki please?

Very impressed, elegant solution, sir. Just implemented it using a pocketknife, and it works as advertised, like no other charm.

Thank you.

@Evil Dragon, if you're reading this thread... What are the chances of this nifty mod (or indeed fitting DS hinges) being incorporated into the assembly process in the factory?
The issue was a legal one if I remember it right. Nintendo got the copyright on that sort of hinge on that sort of device, and thus royalties would have to be paid.

Good point about the DS hinge, but surely it would be OK to have the notch removal mod done in the factory?

The NDS hinge only has 2 positions, 0° and 180°.
The NDS seems to have 2 hinges...

The NDS hinge only has 2 positions, 0° and 180°. The NDS seems to have 2 hinges...
that's not possible, if the NDS had 2 hinges locking mechanisms there would be nowhere for the LCD and speaker cable to go.

^

I think there are thousand's of normal hinges already, that's the issue.
it uses the normal hinge, that's the beauty :D

takes about 10 to 20 seconds to carefully grind the pins in the case's socket.

could be offered as an option, could be included in repairs.

but I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, it doesn't hold the lid closed or fully opened with any force at all other than gravity, which is fine in most cases but people will go

OMG! SO CHEAP: IT DOESN'T HOLD CLOSED WHEN I'M UPSIDE DOWN DUCT-TAPED TO THE CEILING WHICH HAPPENS A LOT!

... right

and can't use it in bed on your back with the Pandora right over your head, the lid snaps down at ~120 degrees.

not that it was comfortable for any length of time to start with. tried that when I first got my pandora, got cramps in my arms pretty quickly.

For the use I make of my Pandora there's no downside to the mod but it might not be true for everyone.

At the moment my hinge holds well in EVERY position. I did my mod, but only part of it: Grinded the hole in the keyboard case totally cylindric (no notches anymore) and the hinge capsule is freely rotating in it. No resting angles. But enough friction to hold the screen well in every position. Even upside-down. It's just ideal.

I know this can change with time, as the rotating hinge capsule will grind the hole wider slowly, but then I can still apply the rest of my mod, glueing the capsule to some specific angle.

Or I change the case and apply Stephane's mod :)

Excellent mod!  I created an account just to show my appreciation!  This just so happens to hold the screen at what I consider to be the perfect angle.  I also took the opportunity to file down the edges and remove the tabs near the speakers to reduce some flex in the screen area and to make future disassembly easier.

Back