Hardware Database updater

Tavin

I just got my Pandora and trying stuff I recognized that http://pandorawiki.org/USB_compatibility_list is rather empty.

I think that is because adding something is quite a task, you need to be aware of this list, register to the Wiki and take the time to actually add it.

Would it be possible to let a Programm do that work? Afaik every usb-device has some Kind of ID that makes it possible for the Computer (in that case the pandora) to handle the device.

I haven't had a further look at this because I wanted to ask first if that could be done.

-Tavin

That's perfectly possible.

You could make a program which keeps track of the hardware you plug in and out and asks you if the hardware worked well after you plugged it out again, then it could submit the answer to the database in the wiki.

Shouldn't be to hard to code, but I haven't got my Pandora yet, so I can't try it.

I don't think my basic c++ knowledge will be enough for this, so if you want to code it I'd surly test it.

I don't think my basic c++ knowledge will be enough for this, so if you want to code it I'd surly test it.
I don't like developing that way and so I won't do it.

If it isn't done when I receive mine (in 2 Months™, hopefully) I'll try.

But you could do that too, just use a little shell script (with zenity to ask the questions).

You could check every 1s or something like that if hardware was plugged in or out (that's a shitty solution, there might be better ones which are as easy, but I don't know any of them) and if yes ask your questions and submit it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might be able to have it read dmesg or something.

Avoid polling anything every second, always, that's ridiculous.

Also if there's some kind of hardware daemon that broadcasts over D-Bus, (I think hal does?) you could subscribe to that somehow.

Just things I've heard of, though.

Back