hardrives compatible with the pandora?

Wrath Of Khan

Soul soother...
Hi i was wondering if anyone knew of a small portable hardrive that was compatible with the pandora.

What is the smallest physical size you can buy.I am looking at something like this at the moment.My linksomething that plugged directly into the usb would be good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of interest, why has someone added some hard drives to that list under the category 'Untested on Pandora, works on Linux'? A hard drive is a hard drive, of course it's going to work in Linux.

If anyone who has his Pandora happened to use an external hard drive with it, can you tell me how much battery time does the hard drive take if you use it frequently (as in more than 7 hours a day)?

I added the 250gb WD essential portable to that list and I'd say it halves battery life and its more realistic, to simply use it to quickly switch a few files over to the SD cards and then remove it again.

Out of interest, why has someone added some hard drives to that list under the category 'Untested on Pandora, works on Linux'? A hard drive is a hard drive, of course it's going to work in Linux.
I don't see it (unless it's been edited since you posted this :p ).

Yeah, that was me, I deleted them. I posted that, then realised I was moaning about an entry on a wiki which is pretty dumb of me.
You'd probably have an easier time listing hard drives which were NOT compatible with Linux, and it honestly would not surprise me if there were such hard drives out there somewhere.

Don't 1.8" HDs have lower power ratings than 2.5" ones? I don't know if there are USB enclosures for them, but it would be very cool!

the wiki page so far only covers 2.5 inch hardrives.Wonder if anyones tested a 1.8 inch hardive on the pandy.

I was just about to start an identical thread.

Instead... I'll bump this one. =)

The external HDs listed on wiki seem a bit small storage wise. I've been meaning to get a 600gb - 1tb ext. Hard Drive for some time.

Of course my requirement are the same as in my Thread

In other words - I want to use it on my current old winXP desktop, my future DesktopReplacement Win7 Laptop, and My Pandora which should be shipped in a few months time (touch wood).

On the road down to Cape Town and will be arriving tomorrow. What would be most usefull to me is to know what questions to ask when shopping around.

At present I'll be asking:

Works on Linux?

Powered externally? (I would think this is a good idea to minimize draw from the Pandora)

Drivers required?

High Speed USB2?

I'm lucky enough to have use of a computer at our overnight location - so will give my thanks ahead of time if I don't get a chance to post again for a few days.

Thank you! :p

Now, please correct me! :)

I was just about to start an identical thread.

Instead... I'll bump this one. =)

The external HDs listed on wiki seem a bit small storage wise. I've been meaning to get a 600gb - 1tb ext. Hard Drive for some time.

Of course my requirement are the same as in my Thread

In other words - I want to use it on my current old winXP desktop, my future DesktopReplacement Win7 Laptop, and My Pandora which should be shipped in a few months time (touch wood).

On the road down to Cape Town and will be arriving tomorrow. What would be most usefull to me is to know what questions to ask when shopping around.

At present I'll be asking:

Works on Linux?

Powered externally? (I would think this is a good idea to minimize draw from the Pandora)

Drivers required?

High Speed USB2?

I'm lucky enough to have use of a computer at our overnight location - so will give my thanks ahead of time if I don't get a chance to post again for a few days.

Thank you! :p

Now, please correct me! :)

Standard USB storage stuffs "just works". External power source is strongly recommended if you want to be sure that it will not kill your pandoras USB port (or possibly more.)

Standard USB storage stuffs "just works". External power source is strongly recommended if you want to be sure that it will not kill your pandoras USB port (or possibly more.)
I like using my n900's 32gb storage which just works :D useful for ISOs, but I usually just copy them over and then play them and delete after use so I dont need to always be powering it

Back