Handheld Resolution Comparison

UHDV... :p

More interesting, is the 22.2 surround that's bundled with it. 22 motherfucking speakers. Count it, 22.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any chance you could post a version of this that IS in physical scale? I find that much more useful, but maybe that's just me.

That's an accurate comparison.

The Pandora's DPI is 250, the PSP's is 130, the DS's is 106, the iPhone's is 165. A 9" 1024x600 netbook screen is 130. (these numbers are rounded a bit)

'Butterman' said:
UHDV... :p

More interesting, is the 22.2 surround that's bundled with it. 22 motherfucking speakers. Count it, 22.

Actually, I think that's 24 speakers.

CODE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4320p

CODE
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7205338.stm

'Sphinxter' said:
'kin' said:
Lol funny comparison chart.

uhu.. i would like to map the dpad to be the same function as the scrollwheel click function so you can navigate leftright updown when browsing in 800x480
Have to point out there is no scrollwheel to click or function.

What he meant was to map the scrollwheel click function of an ordinary mouse (that brings up the scroll feature) to the d-pad, that is tho scroll web content with the d-pad. The last keyboard layout image I've seen had this feature mapped to the right analogue nub, with 3 mouse keys on the thumb buttons and a mouse cursor move on the left nub. Who knows if this is final, but you should be able to map them as you want one way or another.

'Butterman' said:
'WizardStan' said:
'Butterman' said:
You brought some shitty TV eh?

800x480 is actually better than SD. All tube TVs (and possibly some early LCD (though at 42 inches, I don't imagine it being all that early)) would have a lower res than what the Pandora has.
What I meant, was that most decent 42" TVs run 1080p (1920×1080). I know mine does.

People seem to forget that 1080p was unheard of just a few years ago. The first 42" TV's I remember only had 640x480 and cost many times that of todays LCDs. The quality was probably crap as it was 1st gen, compared to like 7th gen or whatever we are at now. The only way normal people could afford one was through a lottery.

sizecomparason.jpg

here is a quickly edited size comparaison picture showing some actual content at their "almost" respective resolution...

I was trying to make a similar visual aid early today but the problem I found was that it was difficult to visually show an accurate discription of screen quality through an internet jpg. The reality is that the Pandora;s higher resolution (more dots per scraure inch) should make the text readable at that size while the PSP;s would be more blurry (basically almost the opposite of what's pictured due to fewer dots in a similar size) and the DS more blocky with a diminished color pallet. I have trouble getting the resolution to match the actual screen size because resizing the image automatically changed the resolution making the comparision basically wrong.

yes, we should make a high res version, designed to be printed... it's the only acurate way to show screen quality... already printed a 800x480 image at the right size and it look great...

edit:

here's an actual version to print out...
CODE
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/1096/63012248.jpg

make sure you use a software that actually use the image dpi/size value... it should print a 20cm wide image...

I browse web at 800*600 and I often need fit-to-witdh from opera.
Has firefox similar feature?

'craigix' said:
The next generation of HD TV is 3840×2160, and the BBC already have cameras which can record in some crazy res, 12000x7000 or so and they have done test broadcasts at these resolutions.

The future is pretty clear.
If you put a screen @ 96 DPI at 2 meters away from you, you won't distingue a pattern of 1-pixel wide white line and a 1-pixel black line because you reached your max eye's acuity. This means that those TV screens (correct me if wrong) would make sense only if their size was (3840/96)inches x (2160/96)inches = 40 inches x 22.5 inches... total of 45-diagonal inches TV. Let's say that 42' are fine... Everything beyond this (EG: 3840x2160 on a 30' TV) would just be a waste of resources (provided that you see your TV from a 2 meters distance...)

We will probably see a 3840x2160 res on a 30' TV, so...
The future is much clearer than needed :p

'Elwing' said:
here's an actual version to print out...
CODE
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/1096/63012248.jpg

make sure you use a software that actually use the image dpi/size value... it should print a 20cm wide image...
This is very much appreciated!
I wonder what my GF will say when she comes home.
We had a discussion about the screen size some days ago.
I must admit that the charackters are bit to small. However, this can be adjusted by the OS as ED demonstrated.
And when the D-Pad is set up for panning the web page it should be cool to surfe teh web. A fit to width option for firefox would be cool aswell. Don't know if it has this. Maybe Fennec?

BTW, has some Pandora devboard owner compiled Fennec already?

Xmoon said:

Firefox's "Web Developer Toolbar" extension is a little like that. In the "Miscellaneous" menu there are options such as "Linearize Page" and "Small Screen Rendering". The former will solve many of the width issues but will not autoshrink images and applets, while the latter makes things PalmOS width, which is kinda blah. Both sort of mess up some advanced positioning elements, like the formatting toolbar on this very page (if you use either, remember that "Options -> Persist Features" is your friend here).

Also, there appears to be an extension called "Default FullZoom Level". It seems to have an option called "Fit To Window". YMMV, as I haven't tried it out myself.

My suspicion, though, is that Opera rules and Firefox drools, at least in this particular area of usability. ;)

'chole' said:
'Xmoon' said:
Firefox's "Web Developer Toolbar" extension is a little like that. In the "Miscellaneous" menu there are options such as "Linearize Page" and "Small Screen Rendering". The former will solve many of the width issues but will not autoshrink images and applets, while the latter makes things PalmOS width, which is kinda blah. Both sort of mess up some advanced positioning elements, like the formatting toolbar on this very page (if you use either, remember that "Options -> Persist Features" is your friend here).

Also, there appears to be an extension called "Default FullZoom Level". It seems to have an option called "Fit To Window". YMMV, as I haven't tried it out myself.

My suspicion, though, is that Opera rules and Firefox drools, at least in this particular area of usability. ;)

Thanks for your well explained answer. :)

Back