Haiku Commander - A norton commander clone - Anyone interested?

commander-beef

Very Active Member
Haiku Commander app i started few days ago. This NC-Clone was made from ground up primary for Haiku OS, since haiku doesnt have decent orthodox filemanager, but i thought that i post some info here and i'll see if here's a demand to have similar orthodox filemanager for OpenPandora. 

Basically Haiku Commander will have all basic features that NC have (take a look on screenshot)

Give me a shout, if you want something like this on OP. 

d7762f93c0e130e8e347971caed86bc4.png

There are tons of NC clones on the market. Many are foss and easy to port. I have ported one ages ago (xfe, a crappy one), and if there were more need for that kind of tools, we would have seen more port in that direction.

I might be wrong, but I would suggest to invest time in this before having a proof of it's usefullness.

Yeah, i know there are tons of different flavours. I already ported some like worker / beesoft commander / and more.. , but some of them are incomplete [beesofts] some have issues and keys dont fit OP nicely [worker]. 

Im doing this wether it will be usefull on OP or not, because primary platform / OS is Haiku. Its good to ask a OP community. Maybe somebody will need something like this. If yes, i'd might recompile it for OP as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Midnight Commander. "sudo opkg install mc" does the job.

I don't like graphical NC clones. For some reason they slow me down a lot, and they also look worse in my opinion.

non of these "commanders" worked good enough onto the Pandora yet, I've tried a few . "Midnightcommander" did not saved any settings or recognized any tab I choosed for the next time. Not sure if MC can do multi tabs already but it's not quiet an replacement like Total Commander I use onto the PC. Beesoft Commander didn't even worked right, afaik you was not even able to type anything. So I only have Thunar onto my Pandora and even this standard tool is bugy as hell if you try to use detailed views.

So I'm open for every WORKING (!!!!!) file manager onto the Pandora. :)

Personally I find the command line is quicker than using these type of programs.

But I do support anything with Commander in the name, it sounds powerful..

My favorite NC clone is worker but I agree that there's much room for a Pandora optimized one. Especially the use of dpad/buttons and adaption to the screen size isn't well implemented.

Worker is nice, but you'll appreciate it if you're from amiga world. You know, FileMaster, Opus :D . I grow up on using NC and DN [even more]. To this day i'm sure theres no better FM than DosNavigator / DN OSP. 

Are the people capable of using a commander style filemanager really going to click and scroll? Haiku, nice.

How about mouseover scroll?

The tab naming with right and left is a bit hmmm? How about doing what (cant remember if its thunar or nautilus) does, separate buttons with the directories, so you can navigate by clicking. The folders you have gone back from are grayed out.

If that could be combined with clicking in that space to write in the uri space would be saved

Edit: its both http://www.novell.com/documentation/opensuse103/opensuse103_gnome_user/graphics/nautilus.png

http://foo-projects.org/~benny/projects/thunar/images/preview.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I think that the Midnight Commander PND should be updated, so it can support even the SFTP protocol...

I tried many graphical programs for file management on the panda, but for now MC is still the one I prefere

interesting, I always postponed to try cli love, seems like the time is come :)

Just do "sudo opkg install mc" - your NAND can take it, and it's a lot more convenient to be able to start mc from any terminal.

Just do "sudo opkg install mc" - your NAND can take it, and it's a lot more convenient to be able to start mc from any terminal.
I always thought that using opkg was breaking things

I tried both the MC in Cli Love and the one from opkg, but none of them has SFTP, is the arm version so old ?

Hi commander-beef,

If I could make a wish, I would like to have something like TotalCommander (http://www.ghisler.com). I 'grew up' with nc and I use totalcommander on every platform exept linux (even win31), because for me it's the natural way handling files on a system. Yes, mc is ok, but cli ...

Greetings

Yeah, haiku commander should be 'almost' like Total Commander, but for now im focusing only on basic options.

Back