Hacking My Wii

ultm8

Still Fresh
Since I recently saw this video I think I should do it. Have you guys hacked your wii's yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
flash101 said:
Since I recently saw this video I think I should do it. Have you guys hacked your wii's yet?

I didn't watch the video.. but basically yes, my Wii has been "hacked" since it was first hackable. I intend to add Wii support in Penjin but Pandora/OGL2.0ES is higher priority right now.

You can do a lot with a homebrew capable Wii and if you install the Homebrew Browser there are many great homebrew apps you can easily install. I say if you are not worried about the potential bricking (very slim if you double check everything) and any moral/legal issues installing the Homebrew Channel then go for it.

Oh an I do recommend to get BootMii installed. it adds an extra layer of protection should you mess up your system menu and lets you jump to the Homebrew Channel, where you can hopefully fix whatever pickle you've got yourself into!

I second the BootMii suggestion, the dev team behind it are the most reliable on the scene.
The most frequent way people brick their Wiis is through pirating WiiWare/VC games, so unless you're thinking about doing that you should be fine.

Ps: Just watched the video, only follow that guy's instructions if you want to 'backup' wii games - his tutorial's full of downgrading and patching (not needed for legal homebrew use).
Otherwise, find a more sane tutorial :).

Just used the Bannerbomb to hack mine. Best thing I ever did with it. Now if only someone would come up with a way to hack the 360 like that. It would be nice to get a bigger hard drive connected to my 360 without getting reamed in the ass by Microsoft. Over $100 for a 60GB HD? Suck balls, Microsoft.

Didn't watch the video but yes I have and you really should. I softmodded mine because I ran out of space and didn't want to erase VC games before downloading new ones. Now I run homebrew, emulators and I have my Wii games on an external drive. I also use this to 'test-drive' games before I buy them, as reviews are not reliable enough (IMO).

raven said:
Didn't watch the video but yes I have and you really should. I softmodded mine because I ran out of space and didn't want to erase VC games before downloading new ones. Now I run homebrew, emulators and I have my Wii games on an external drive. I also use this to 'test-drive' games before I buy them, as reviews are not reliable enough (IMO).

Just FYI, you can back up "Channels" onto an SDHC card instead of just deleting them. They're tied to that specific Wii, though, so if your hardware fails, or you sell it and buy another one down the road, you're probably going to have to buy them again. At least Live Arcade games are tied to your Live account, not your hardware.

Ravnos said:
Just FYI, you can back up "Channels" onto an SDHC card instead of just deleting them. They're tied to that specific Wii, though, so if your hardware fails, or you sell it and buy another one down the road, you're probably going to have to buy them again. At least Live Arcade games are tied to your Live account, not your hardware.
I know, but copying them back and forth takes quite long on the Wii and I also wanted to be able to see my games library.
Of course by now you can simply launch them from SD-card but when I modded my Wii this wasn't possible yet.

flash101 said:
I had recently added the 'Homebrew Channel' to my Nintendo Wii and have been using it ever since. I followed the instructions from this website and worked flawlessly with the added bonus of all the homebrew applications running off the SD card. I used a 1GB SD card that was formatted to FAT. The firmware version on my Wii when I had this done was 4.0e. I do not want to hack the Wii to play backup games but just to have the 'Homebrew Channel' available to play ported games/emulators.

I still buy official Wii games for the system to support the developers.
smile.gif

Well, I finally did it but I need to know 1 thing from any of you guys that have done it. How do you make an emulator you have a channel on the Wii instead of running it from the Homebrew Channel?

flash101 said:
Well, I finally did it but I need to know 1 thing from any of you guys that have done it. How do you make an emulator you have a channel on the Wii instead of running it from the Homebrew Channel?

You have to find the relevant emulator WAD to install... it's convenient to have the Emulator on the Wii menu, but then you have to find the most recent WAD to install every time you want to update the emulator.
For the convenience it adds... it's really not worth it to have Homebrew as channels.

PokeParadox said:
You have to find the relevant emulator WAD to install... it's convenient to have the Emulator on the Wii menu, but then you have to find the most recent WAD to install every time you want to update the emulator.
For the convenience it adds... it's really not worth it to have Homebrew as channels.
Actually some guys also released emulator forwarder channels. These just point to the actual dol-file (like a shortcut). Check out the Wii-discussions at GBAtemp: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?act=idx for more information.

Back