Guide Me Through A Firmware Update Please

Saoshyant

Still Fresh
Hey,

I got a completely vanilla firmware in my Wiz; it reports to be version 1.0.0.

So, I don't want to brick my Wiz nor lose compatibility with the popular apps. Should I update to version 1.2.1? Is it stable enough?

And if so, what are the steps? I hear we should first backup the NAND (which I have already done) and then install in order (1.0.1 => 1.1.0 => 1.2.1).

Is this correct? What else do I need to be careful with?

Also, is 1.2.1 compatibility good? I don't care about the skinning application, but nobody hurts my emulators or it's war, gentlemen.

Saoshyant said:
Hey,

I got a completely vanilla firmware in my Wiz; it reports to be version 1.0.0.

So, I don't want to brick my Wiz nor lose compatibility with the popular apps. Should I update to version 1.2.1? Is it stable enough?

And if so, what are the steps? I hear we should first backup the NAND (which I have already done) and then install in order (1.0.1 => 1.1.0 => 1.2.1).

Is this correct? What else do I need to be careful with?

Also, is 1.2.1 compatibility good? I don't care about the skinning application, but nobody hurts my emulators or it's war, gentlemen.

I recommend you firmware 1.1.0, because 1.2.1 did some problems with NAND, but if you want to play commercial games, get rather 1.2.1
In 1.1.0 I have problem with GMenu2x, but with Win2x is it perfect ;)
Also, be careful with card you are upgrading from. 1-2 Gigs is good; my SD-HC 16 Gigs had problems with this.

SaS

Last edited by a moderator:
:SaS:*rbusa said:
I recommend you firmware 1.1.0, because 1.2.1 did some problems with NAND, but if you want to play commercial games, get rather 1.2.1

I'm not interested in commercial games because I know of none. However, I heard the 1.2.1 firmware fixed some of the tearing issues? What exactly is the NAND problem(s) you speak of?

Saoshyant said:
:SaS:*rbusa said:

I'm not interested in commercial games because I know of none. However, I heard the 1.2.1 firmware fixed some of the tearing issues? What exactly is the NAND problem(s) you speak of?

If you have Windows7, pay attention and remove PROPERLY NAND or your Wiz will hang on boot screen or some files will become unreadable or undeletable :(, but if you have Linux or Mac OS, it is OK. (tried on ubuntu-10.04-pc and on mac os 9 on amiga)

Yeah, diagonal tearing and ghosting was reduced

SaS

Back