Gravity Force

Eolair

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds
Website
Visit site
Anyone remember good old Gravity Force on the Amiga? Or the even older "Thrust" (c64, etc)? Or the arcade Gravitar? I'd give an arm and a leg for something like that on the GP2X (well almost).

I know there's open source version of Gravity Force, written in C (http://www.gravity-force.de/). Unfortunately it uses Allegro instead of SDL so it would probably require a lot of effort to port. I don't suppose anyone is planning to port Allegro? ;)

Well at least I have Thrust...does anyone know if it works on Frodo?

Iirc, there was actually a remake of Thrust made for the GP32... perhaps it'd be worth seeing if there's source available (either for download or by emailing the author)...?

Eolair posted on Dec 17 2005 at 02:10 AM said:
I don't suppose anyone is planning to port Allegro? ;)

I'm already working on it - it's nearly there.

Eolair posted on Dec 17 2005 at 02:10 AM said:
Well at least I have Thrust...does anyone know if it works on Frodo?

I think the BBC emulator used Thrust as an example of setting up the config file.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tobriand posted on Dec 17 2005 at 12:00 PM said:
Iirc at there was actually a remake of Thrust made for the GP32... perhaps it'd be worth seeing if there's source available (either for download or by emailing the author)...?
You're right! Gravity Force has already been ported for the GP32 by David Douglas (ZXGP32). http://www.gp32x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,27,132
Would it be easier to port that than the allegro version I mentioned above? I think I'll try to contact him but he hasn't been around for a long time.

gfoot posted on Dec 17 2005 at 10:07 PM said:
I'm already working on it - it's nearly there.
You're porting Allegro? Great! There's a lot of games that uses that gfx library :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The graphics stuff is generally working now. Joystick is probably fine too, but the joystick example also requires keyboard support (doh!). I'm going to make the buttons generate keypresses, to get round that kind of thing, but I guess a lot of PC-oriented games are going to need a little adapting.

It's tempting to also implement a virtual mouse, as some of the examples (and the demo game) use the GUI routines to allow you to choose a video mode...

Back