Graphics Comparable Or Better Than Psp And Ds

Sphinxter said:
nubie said:
icurafu said:
It's doable with some technical skills.
or the ability to follow a simple tutorial and type eeepc xp into google.

From the first page in google (admittedly a lot of the results were news items on the new ASUS XP models)

http://www.jasbone.com/blog/archives/2008/...g-xp-o.html.php

It looks like all you need is a small SD card and a 1GB memory stick to hold the install files, you probably have that laying around if you are geeky enough to be here and have purchased an Eeepc.

Actually I think there may be an even easier way, you install xp onto a pc, then run a utility, 'ntlite', or something like that, comes with it where you pick only what you need to support and it will produce a tiny version of itself on a disk ready to load.

im sorry Guys I think Ive gotten this topic off topic with my EEEpc comments. What do I hope. I hope Pandora is awesome! im always looking for something better and even more fun to play with. Windows XP is very easy to install on the EEEpc as I simply bought an external DVD/burner. made a mini copy of windows and just installed as normal. there is an option in the bios to boot from external cdrom. I went back and forth with windows and linux on the thing. Its this simple the EEEpc is a dud at gaming. I had a install of world of warcraft in windows on the EEEpc with 18 frames per second and believe me you wont be doing any raids with that frame rate. The EEEpc is a great little unit for surfing the web, videochatting and checking that email. the portability is just awesome its so small. But gaming not good. One of the reason for poor performance is the limited screen resolution 800x480. that resolution is not good for gaming. I hope this will be remedied on the Pandora. All im trying to get at is the people who write the software need to keep it in mind. To simply port a game over to the Pandora will most likely require a resolution fix. I hope im wrong but ive gone through this problem with the Asus.

Last edited by a moderator:
windancer said:
im sorry Guys I think Ive gotten this topic off topic with my EEEpc comments. What do I hope. I hope Pandora is awesome! im always looking for something better and even more fun to play with. Windows XP is very easy to install on the EEEpc as I simply bought an external DVD/burner. made a mini copy of windows and just installed as normal. there is an option in the bios to boot from external cdrom. I went back and forth with windows and linux on the thing. Its this simple the EEEpc is a dud at gaming. I had a install of world of warcraft in windows on the EEEpc with 18 frames per second and believe me you wont be doing any raids with that frame rate. The EEEpc is a great little unit for surfing the web, videochatting and checking that email. the portability is just awesome its so small. But gaming not good. One of the reason for poor performance is the limited screen resolution 800x480. that resolution is not good for gaming. I hope this will be remedied on the Pandora. All im trying to get at is the people who write the software need to keep it in mind. To simply port a game over to the Pandora will most likely require a resolution fix. I hope im wrong but ive gone through this problem with the Asus.
Depends on the game. I know for a fact that Bandits: Phoenix Rising will just simply drop onto "goofy" screen resolutions, including 800x480, 1440x900, and 1620x1080. I know, I've got a few goofball machine setups and I'm trying to wrap up the things that're busted on it so it can go out the door for Linux (Right now, trying to sort out the last sound glitches and a %$!#@ shader bug...I'm about to "fix" the bug in a manner that will provide a possible first contribution to things here... :D). Now, having said this, there might be a bit of "fixing" to clamp the title's rendering to Pandora's proper screen real-estate once it's been added to the supported list, if it's not there already.

As for WOW on an eeePC? Heh... WOW doesn't play nice with the GMA class of parts unless you're talking the X3xxx series parts- and only the X3100 really does adequate with it. WOW really, really needs TCL support in the GPU and the GMA series does NOT provide the vertex shader support except where you're talking about X3xxx series parts- and your UMPC has only a GMA900 part in it. The MAIN reason why it stinks on ice is that you're trying something that the hardware just simply can't and never could do- not the screen resolution... ;)

bmxx132 said:
I just want to know if the graphics will be as good as psp and nintendo ds.
DS 3d looks little different to MS DOS games 3d graphics. It would not surprise me if the Pandora was capable of rendering them in CPU alone.

Zarneth said:
bmxx132 said:
I just want to know if the graphics will be as good as psp and nintendo ds.
DS 3d looks little different to MS DOS games 3d graphics. It would not surprise me if the Pandora was capable of rendering them in CPU alone.
hum not sure, the limitation of the GPU 3D on DS is about the maximun number of quads ( 2000 if i don't say wrong ) and the position of lights , if you use calllist and not only 'opengl DS' you have good results ... make an emulation of that needs use of Direct3D or Opengl under PC, so for Pandora you need to use OpenGL ES 1.1 to have same results ....
and better without problems , take a look about demo games TI :)

and with Pandora we have OpenVG (hardware vectorial render API ) :)

windancer said:
Sphinxter said:
nubie said:
icurafu said:
It's doable with some technical skills.
or the ability to follow a simple tutorial and type eeepc xp into google.

From the first page in google (admittedly a lot of the results were news items on the new ASUS XP models)

http://www.jasbone.com/blog/archives/2008/...g-xp-o.html.php

It looks like all you need is a small SD card and a 1GB memory stick to hold the install files, you probably have that laying around if you are geeky enough to be here and have purchased an Eeepc.

Actually I think there may be an even easier way, you install xp onto a pc, then run a utility, 'ntlite', or something like that, comes with it where you pick only what you need to support and it will produce a tiny version of itself on a disk ready to load.

People who will write software for the Pandora will make it compatible with the Pandora ;). As you can see the community is dedicated to its handheld and I would be pretty dissapointed myself if it wasn't done properly, but I know that the devs won't do this. Quality is a thing that the devs do quite well.

windancer said:
Once again, all the specifications for the Eeepc are publicly known, if you knew the specifications and the graphics accelerator and the screen resolution, why did you buy one and then start whining about it when it performed exactly as its hardware was specified?

I would only expect it to support games properly designed for 640x480 resolution (and only in a pillar-boxed mode).

With the Pandora you can expect the same, only without the benefit of a large library of PC games that will play on it natively (did you set the processor to 900mhz, or 800mhz? According to some reviews I have seen this really increases the frame-rate, due to the (video shared!) RAM running at a higher speed,)

As I say, if you knew it was XXXx480, and you knew it was on a 70mhz FSB with single channel shared RAM on an Intel graphics accelerator, why are you complaining when that is exactly how it performed?

Personally I want the Eeepc to attach my Geforce PCI-E card to it(mini-PCIe is compatible, there are adapters commercially available), this would likely require an input board to attach the screen, but those are available on ebay for $XX. Of course there is always the option of modifying an MXM card to connect over PCI-e x1.

(don't tell me this isn't possible, I have a converted PCIe x1 Geforce 6200, been running fine for a few months now :) )

http://picasaweb.google.com/nubie07/PCIeX1...809524446028994

DSCF0340.JPG

I would expect to be required to do a lot of fiddling and use an older game on the Eeepc to get acceptable results for serious gaming. But I wouldn't just use a blanket statement like "Eeepc sucks for gaming", a more accurate statement would be that the Eeepc in stock form is only likely to play games with a recommended requirement of a 630mhz Pentium 3 and a Geforce 2 or Geforce 4MX. Needless to say if you check the game you are bitching about you will likely find that the games minimum requirements are not actually fulfilled.

If I wanted to game seriously on a laptop, I would only buy one with a 9500/9600 series card or 8800 series card, If I was on a budget and wanted to game casually, I would pick up a geforce 6600 laptop on ebay for around $400. Game hardware requirements are a basic thing that you need to be aware of, as is resolution.

The Pandora will only play games written for, ported to, or emulated on it. NO XP GAMES, no online PC games from the last ~7-8 years. The Eeepc in that regard is much better equipped for "gaming".

The Pandora is a handheld, think Nintendo DS or PSP with better processing power and a higher resolution screen, it does not need to be compared to the Eeepc (and in fact cannot be), which is a full-on laptop in a micro package (having owned a couple micro laptops I would like to point out that before the Eeepc came out it cost $1500 to buy a used micro-laptop with this much power, and that the Eeepc indeed has quite a bit more power than those even).

I love my eee, but yeah, it's completely different to the Pandora!

Back