Graphics Comparable Or Better Than Psp And Ds

Gamedout001

Still Fresh
I just want to know if the graphics will be as good as psp and nintendo ds.
you see I was thinking about getting gp2x f2000 but i wanted 3D support
I want to make games and applications for it but I also want it to have great 3D support.
(I dont really care about the multi-media features because i am getting a archos 705 wifi )
I dont want to waste my hard earned money for something i am not going to enjoy.

bmxx132 said:
I want to make games and applications for it but I also want it to have great 3D support.
(I dont really care about the multi-media features because i am getting a archos 705 wifi )
Do not want to waste my hard earned money for something i am not going to enjoy.

Of course, graphics depend on the quality of game developers, but in terms of capability, the Pandora will be at the very least on par with the PSP. Also, I believe the screen in the Pandora is the same as the archos, so you're covered.

Last edited by a moderator:
crazedover said:
bmxx132 said:
Do not want to waste my hard earned money for something i am not going to enjoy.

Of course, graphics depend on the quality of game developers, but in terms of capability, the Pandora will be at the very least on par with the PSP. Also, I believe the screen in the Pandora is the same as the archos, so you're covered.

thank you for your reply cant wait for it to come out!!!

While performance is comparable to the PSP, the Pandora has a much more advanced graphics core that uses much less energy. We'll see much more advanced shader technology on the Pandora and we might see a few clever tricks with DSPs that would be impossible on a PSP. The Pandora has more than double the fillrate of the PSP, so expect the full 800x480 screen to be easily filled without impact.

Comparing the Pandora to the DS is like comparing a grain of sand to a beach. ;)

icurafu said:
While performance is comparable to the PSP, the Pandora has a much more advanced graphics core that uses much less energy. We'll see much more advanced shader technology on the Pandora and we might see a few clever tricks with DSPs that would be impossible on a PSP. The Pandora has more than double the fillrate of the PSP, so expect the full 800x480 screen to be easily filled without impact.

Comparing the Pandora to the DS is like comparing a grain of sand to a beach. ;)

Im skepticle about that resolution. I owned an asus EEEPC a few months back and the screen resolution was 800x480 and it was running linux as its base system. however the problem is this most games do not support the 800x480 reso and most games wouldnt even load, or worse lock up the system. I did get a few games working by editing config files that had them to force the resolution to 800x480 but those games were far and few between. I got world of warcraft running in linux using Wine however 12 frames per second really put a damper on gameplay.. I think I will wait for the first reviews on the pandora then decide. That resolution is really frustrating and I dont intend on going through that again.

windancer said:
Im skepticle about that resolution. I owned an asus EEEPC a few months back and the screen resolution was 800x480 and it was running linux as its base system. however the problem is this most games do not support the 800x480 reso and most games wouldnt even load, or worse lock up the system. I did get a few games working by editing config files that had them to force the resolution to 800x480 but those games were far and few between. I got world of warcraft running in linux using Wine however 12 frames per second really put a damper on gameplay.. I think I will wait for the first reviews on the pandora then decide. That resolution is really frustrating and I dont intend on going through that again.
You won't go through that again, because you won't be jamming x86 apps into a non-standard resolution when they're designed for 800x600 or higher.

Everything on Pandora will be written/adapted for Pandora, resolution and all. ;)

Gruso said:
windancer said:
You won't go through that again, because you won't be jamming x86 apps into a non-standard resolution when they're designed for 800x600 or higher.

Everything on Pandora will be written/adapted for Pandora, resolution and all. ;)
I will believe it when I see it. I had such a hard time with that Reso on my eeepc I wont be looking near the pandora till I get to see it in action. I bought a dud last year and dont need 2 duds. So whoever is doing these great programs on Pandora I hope they keep in mind that native resolution

It should not be neglected that the PSP has commercial developers that are paid $$$ to make commercial quality games. Yes, the Pandora will be technically superior in the graphics department, but that does not mean that it will have (or have many) original games that are graphically superior or equivalent to commercial PSP titles (factoring in the ones that demonstrate the PSP's graphic capabilities of course).

Basically, don't go in expecting PSP quality graphics with all Pandora games. For example, I expect very few, if any, original games for the Pandora to have graphics like God of War for the PSP or other aesthetically pleasing games on the PSP. I believe this will not be due to lack of hardware, but lack of time/people on the developer base side (basically, I don't think Pandora developers will have the same luxuries as PSP developers, such as being able to work in large teams of professionals and paid $$$ for your time spent working).

Please do not misinterpret my post. I am not trying to knock the Pandora or its developers. I think most people will agree that working in a commercial environment tends to help a lot to churn out commercial-quality software (note, I'm not saying that you can't do it without a commercial environment or anything like that, but just that it certainly helps).

windancer said:
Gruso said:
windancer said:

I will believe it when I see it. I had such a hard time with that Reso on my eeepc I wont be looking near the pandora till I get to see it in action. I bought a dud last year and dont need 2 duds. So whoever is doing these great programs on Pandora I hope they keep in mind that native resolution

So you're rtelling me that you expect coders to code apps at higher reolutions than the Pandora can handle, so that they won't actually work on the Pandora? We're going to get an influx of apps that simply don't work?

why would anybody do that? Changing the resolution at which a game renders is one line of code, maybe 2 (probably more if you want to potamise the graphics to look better at said resolution, but I'm no coder).

windancer said:
:lol: Are you wary of mobile phones too? What about digital watches? Nobody writing software for Pandora will forget about the native resolution. On the contrary, they'll be doing everything they can to get the most out of it.

JerryG20 said:
It should not be neglected that the PSP has commercial developers that are paid $$$ to make commercial quality games. Yes, the Pandora will be technically superior in the graphics department, but that does not mean that it will have (or have many) original games that are graphically superior or equivalent to commercial PSP titles (factoring in the ones that demonstrate the PSP's graphic capabilities of course).

Basically, don't go in expecting PSP quality graphics with all Pandora games. For example, I expect very few, if any, original games for the Pandora to have graphics like God of War for the PSP or other aesthetically pleasing games on the PSP. I believe this will not be due to lack of hardware, but lack of time/people on the developer base side (basically, I don't think Pandora developers will have the same luxuries as PSP developers, such as being able to work in large teams of professionals and paid $$$ for your time spent working).

Please do not misinterpret my post. I am not trying to knock the Pandora or its developers. I think most people will agree that working in a commercial environment tends to help a lot to churn out commercial-quality software (note, I'm not saying that you can't do it without a commercial environment or anything like that, but just that it certainly helps).

Well said, developement budgets and team sizes are very much the reason you have fantastic graphics in modern games. Homebrew developers cant compete at those standards and shouldnt be expected to.

@ windancer if you are expecting to play world of warcraft on the pandora you can forget that right now and move on to a smaller laptop.

Then again the Pandora probably will attract more commercial developers than the GP2X did.

But I think we'd have the best chance if there was a "download marketplace" kind of site where commercial developers can submit their games (for a fee that is significantly less than the cost of media as in SD cards) and users can download them, anyone remember JoyGP and how it brought a pretty good number of developers to the GP32 scene due to low overhead? (taking into consideration that GP did absolutely nothing to market the GP32 and in general made bad business decisions at every turn).

The basic development kit should be free; to keep the overhead low for indie developers. Pandora's company could probably survive pretty good off console sales and "download marketplace" fees.

windancer said:
windancer said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am so sorry that you foolishly believe that you just discovered resolution, and that the Eeepc is "a dud" because you couldn't figure out how to deal with it. http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=7562 (many options are available, run in standard 640x480, or panned 800x600, PS the Toshiba Libretto 100CT had an 800x480 screen as well, and I had one before the GP2X was even in pre-order).

Desktop PC's aren't immune, every time you move away from 4:3 or native pixel resolution you will need to like it or lump it, or figure out how to display it properly (1280x1024 is not 4:3, 1280x960 IS 4:3, and the 15:9 and 16:9 displays aren't always properly supported)

This is a general PC (or LCD, depending on how you look at it) thing that you just ran into for the first time, it will not go away, and the Eeepc didn't invent it just to torment you.

Basically you were running "standard" games on an non-standard display, you should have pursued Pillar-boxing, or panning (most games also offer a custom resolution setting by the way, not all have proper aspect for a widescreen though).

Gruso said:

Yes.

The Pandora will not be running standard PC games or apps (well, not drag and drop), so it is up to the people who port them to fix these display issues. Likely by re-sizing ports to display the proper resolution, and/or pillar-boxing to the standard 640x480 for emulation.

I think that many will default to the standard VGA resolution, which the pandora will support just fine, as the Eeepc does (I just spent the afternoon reading up on http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=7562 technically you should be upset at Intel's shoddy graphics, or drivers, or Asus' crappy support of this mode, my Toshiba Libretto had a very nice "no scaling" mode that let me 640x480 on games just fine. It looks like this paper-clip/resistor mod fixes gaming on the Eeepc just fine. No need to bash the Eeepc because of your lack of knowledge, if it wasn't your cup of tea, fine, but realize that the eeepc is perfectly capable of playing games.)

The Pandora will NOT run XP, or a full-fledged "desktop" Linux (I suppose it could run the linux, but you wouldn't want to, for obvious reasons, not the least of which being no output other than TV/S-Video, and it being barely larger than the old DS), so you shouldn't ever have silly checkboxes obscured by lack of resolution (once again, the result of shoddy applications that aren't designed properly, not the fault of the hardware, except perhaps the "only" 480 vertical resolution, but you would have known about the work-arounds if you had ever tried to run anything in 480 pixel vertical resolution on any PC, say for output to a TV for example, or a secondary mini-LCD monitor)

Blah said:
Then again the Pandora probably will attract more commercial developers than the GP2X did.
If you are talking commercial developers as in the real established companies that produce games for DS,PSP,consoles etc. the Pandora is not even a blip on their radar, and it will most likely never be.
I mean, the initial batch is 3000. Even if the Pandora sold a thousand times that (three million) it would still be a small fry compared to the DS and PSP.

windancer said:
Gruso said:
windancer said:

Blimey, you bought a eee pc to play high end pc games???? You expected it to be able to play WOW??? YOU were dissapointed???????????

????

windancer said:
icurafu said:

WoW will run well on the Eee PC if you get WinXP installed on it. That in itself is kinda hard, plus you need more than the standard flash. It's doable with some technical skills.

icurafu said:
It's doable with some technical skills.
or the ability to follow a simple tutorial and type eeepc xp into google.

From the first page in google (admittedly a lot of the results were news items on the new ASUS XP models)

http://www.jasbone.com/blog/archives/2008/...g-xp-o.html.php

It looks like all you need is a small SD card and a 1GB memory stick to hold the install files, you probably have that laying around if you are geeky enough to be here and have purchased an Eeepc.

nubie said:
windancer said:
windancer said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am so sorry that you foolishly believe that you just discovered resolution, and that the Eeepc is "a dud" because you couldn't figure out how to deal with it. http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=7562 (many options are available, run in standard 640x480, or panned 800x600, PS the Toshiba Libretto 100CT had an 800x480 screen as well, and I had one before the GP2X was even in pre-order).

Desktop PC's aren't immune, every time you move away from 4:3 or native pixel resolution you will need to like it or lump it, or figure out how to display it properly (1280x1024 is not 4:3, 1280x960 IS 4:3, and the 15:9 and 16:9 displays aren't always properly supported)

This is a general PC (or LCD, depending on how you look at it) thing that you just ran into for the first time, it will not go away, and the Eeepc didn't invent it just to torment you.

Basically you were running "standard" games on an non-standard display, you should have pursued Pillar-boxing, or panning (most games also offer a custom resolution setting by the way, not all have proper aspect for a widescreen though).

Gruso said:

Yes.

The Pandora will not be running standard PC games or apps (well, not drag and drop), so it is up to the people who port them to fix these display issues. Likely by re-sizing ports to display the proper resolution, and/or pillar-boxing to the standard 640x480 for emulation.

I think that many will default to the standard VGA resolution, which the pandora will support just fine, as the Eeepc does (I just spent the afternoon reading up on http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=7562 technically you should be upset at Intel's shoddy graphics, or drivers, or Asus' crappy support of this mode, my Toshiba Libretto had a very nice "no scaling" mode that let me 640x480 on games just fine. It looks like this paper-clip/resistor mod fixes gaming on the Eeepc just fine. No need to bash the Eeepc because of your lack of knowledge, if it wasn't your cup of tea, fine, but realize that the eeepc is perfectly capable of playing games.)

The Pandora will NOT run XP, or a full-fledged "desktop" Linux (I suppose it could run the linux, but you wouldn't want to, for obvious reasons, not the least of which being no output other than TV/S-Video, and it being barely larger than the old DS), so you shouldn't ever have silly checkboxes obscured by lack of resolution (once again, the result of shoddy applications that aren't designed properly, not the fault of the hardware, except perhaps the "only" 480 vertical resolution, but you would have known about the work-arounds if you had ever tried to run anything in 480 pixel vertical resolution on any PC, say for output to a TV for example, or a secondary mini-LCD monitor)

I tell ya what if you think this hack works run right out and get yerself a EEEPC I tried this hack its garbage. But go get one see how it works and see how much frustration will set in.

nubie said:
icurafu said:
It's doable with some technical skills.
or the ability to follow a simple tutorial and type eeepc xp into google.

From the first page in google (admittedly a lot of the results were news items on the new ASUS XP models)

http://www.jasbone.com/blog/archives/2008/...g-xp-o.html.php

It looks like all you need is a small SD card and a 1GB memory stick to hold the install files, you probably have that laying around if you are geeky enough to be here and have purchased an Eeepc.

Actually I think there may be an even easier way, you install xp onto a pc, then run a utility, 'ntlite', or something like that, comes with it where you pick only what you need to support and it will produce a tiny version of itself on a disk ready to load.

Back