Gpsp Questions..

GPM2k6

Still Fresh
Ok I got it to work, managed to get all of the games I tried working EXCEPT:

GTA Advance (Grand Theft Auto)

It crashes after the mission briefing comes up, so you can type your name ok, and then after that comes some text, THEN it crashes. My BIOS is OK, and every other game I tried works.

So is it a bad ROM dump or it's just the game that doesn't work? This game worked fine in VisualBoy.

2nd question, how come the full screen looks rather choppy as compared to the PSP? My friend plays GBA games full screen on the PSP and it looks better than fullscreen on the GP2X. Is it because my settings need to be changed or is it just that full screen hasn't been perfected yet? I believe VisualBoy for the gp2x had better full screen, but I can't remember, it's been a while since I used that.

Hope someone can answer my questions (especially the 2nd one)

And if anyone is interested these game work well with 200 MHZ:

DBZ: Buu's Fury
Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure
Advanced Wars
Super Mario Advance
Metroid Zero Mission - Is it just me or does this run a little bit faster than normal?

:D

@GPM2k6: Please explain how you got Advance Wars to "work well" at 200MHz? For me it's choppy at 250MHz :\

yodaofborg said:
vaustein said:
@GPM2k6: Please explain how you got Advance Wars to "work well" at 200MHz? For me it's choppy at 250MHz :\

It works ok for me at 240Mhz with Manual frameskip 2.

I use AutoFS 2 in Advance Wars. Ingame I have often nearly 60FPS at 266 and the PicoDrive mmuhack.o - when I turning Music off. In menus the Speed slows down, Music gets choppy there, because of the Alpha-Blending Transparent OC Speechboxes I think. 24 FPS or so. But as long it's working ingame fine, I'm happy. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops, I meant GTA Advance, lol I typed it like the racing game.

Anyway, I just tried Advance Wars again with 200 MHZ and it works fine. Doesn't run slow or choppy at all. I'm not sure if it's at 100% but definitely 85%+

It seems perfect to me, I tried with and without sound. However, the sound isn't that great, but it's not annoying either.

*Also I say it's 200 MHZ since I didn't touch the CPU options @ startup and I even went there to make sure it said 199 MHZ. So I know it's NOT overclocked, unless it does it automatically..

And when I press the stick, it says ~50-60 (~13) (without sound).

For advance wars, use version 1.0, US version, version 1.1 is slow as hell as the delay loop doesn't get removed from it. I'm running it at 220Mhz, and that seems to do fine.

Some games still crash. Like zelda minish cap (at 90% of the game) I guess it wouldn't hurt to make a list of the games that currently crash.

People should start updating this list: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/GpSP

(sidenote: it's gpSP. Watch the capitalization ;))

It is really amazing how compatible it is. Fire Emblem - Sacred Stones full speed with sound... amazing. The full screen is choppy, but leaving it unscaled is good enough for me!

GPM2k6 said:
60(13) is far from perfect, it is like 1/5 of fullspeed.

60(60) is perfect.

I get like between 60(40)-60(60) at 275 mhz it depends if you are in menus, in game, intros....

Advance Wars 2 is running better than 1 does.

Rivroner said:
GPM2k6 said:

60(60) is perfect.

I get like between 60(40)-60(60) at 275 mhz it depends if you are in menus, in game, intros....

I see, I just tried again and it's always changing, however, the highest I got was like 50 (40), and regularly it's 40 (15). I guess since the game is turn based, you don't feel the impact as much. I got rid of my GBA a while ago so I forgot how the real speed is on that game.

Sorry for the inaccurate info before.. :unsure:

GPM2k6 said:
Rivroner said:
GPM2k6 said:

60(60) is perfect.

I see, I just tried again and it's always changing, however, the highest I got was like 50 (40), and regularly it's 40 (15). I guess since the game is turn based, you don't feel the impact as much. I got rid of my GBA a while ago so I forgot how the real speed is on that game.

Sorry for the inaccurate info before.. :unsure:

You need to maintain 60(x)
It is important you get 60(x) always, so the gameplay is like real thing.Then if you get 60(60) the gameplay and the smoothness will be like original :)

I recomend you to overclock at least to 250 and to set Auto Frameskip 2 at least.Put 4096 sound too.

Hi,
Is this just GBA or GBA SP?
Do I use the GBA or GBA SP Bios?

Thanks

Eddie

O
Really?
Are you sure?
Because GBA SP games come packaged seperately don't they?
I can just imagine a GBA SP game with it written down the side...

Eddie

I've never seen one packaged like that. GameBoy Advance games always have just that written on the box.

As for the BIOS, the SP should work as it's the same console, they just look different (as PokeParadox) pointed out.

And for the games being packaged differently, I doubt it. They all say GBA and are packaged the same, and they look different than the GBC & GB games.

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images...ickstar-gba.jpg
http://as7.dsi.go.com/is/image/DisneyShopp...#036;full$

Do you mean the thing on the upper left, (on the 2nd picture)?

All that means is that game is only out for GBA both the standard, and SP version (and not the Wii etc.).

Hi,

Excuse my noobish here as I just got a used gp2x a week ago. My question is that for the life of me, I cannot get any of the GBA to play full screen. I have changed to full screen in options but still getting a small screen that is positioned on the upper lefthand. I am using the latest gpsp09 emu on firmware 2.1.1. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

kato said:
Hi,

Excuse my noobish here as I just got a used gp2x a week ago. My question is that for the life of me, I cannot get any of the GBA to play full screen. I have changed to full screen in options but still getting a small screen that is positioned on the upper lefthand. I am using the latest gpsp09 emu on firmware 2.1.1. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks
I think it's a wee bug. Simple enter the menu and then resume the game and it should go full screen when you exit.

Back