GPS, compass, etc

Alternatively, somebody who is authorised with the docs could write a simple shared lib that developers could use to access all the functions, if you wanted a "work-around"

@Agricola and @WizardStan
When going through your documentation were you able to find any additional information surrounding the differences between the PLS8-US and PLS8-X?

From what I can tell...
The PLS8-US is certified for AT&T and would likely work on T-Mobile as well.
The PLS8-X is for use on AT&T, T-Mobile AND Verizon, but an odd entry seems to indicate it might be 'data only'.

If you encounter anything regarding those distinctions in your document explorations, it would be good to know.

There is no technical documentation available about the PLS8-X, at least not searchable.

I'll post this here too. I wrote this up in the Preorders will start in two hours thread.

I figured it out.
Note on the specifications page it says
Voice Support (HR, FR, EFR, AMR narrowband & AMR wideband) (PLS8-US/-E)
Handsfree speaking (PLS8-US/-E)
Voice Support for LTE via CSFB (circuit-switched fallback) (PLS8-US/-E)
The PLS8 does not support VoLTE, voice over LTE. It falls back (CSFB) on 3G (or less) to send and receive voice calls. Which is fine since that's how most carriers work anyway: it seems very few actually support VoLTE.
But prior to LTE, Verizon was CDMA: the PLS8 CANNOT fall back on their old network. So it can't use the LTE network for voice and it can't use the fallback which it doesn't support so at the very least Verizon would be data only. It's possible that other carriers could still use it for voice as the -US and -E can, but it's also likely that since it was built for Verizon they may have stripped out the voice feature entirely to save money.
The PLS8-V, with only LTE support definitely cannot do voice for anyone, it is strictly LTE data only and not very useful.

The PLS8-V, with only LTE support definitely cannot do voice for anyone, it is strictly LTE data only and not very useful.

I'm wondering whether it is intended irony that the PLS8-V is the one that doesn't do voice.

Back