gpQuake

Max

Website
Visit site
I never payed attention to this port but yesterday I wanted to figure it out. I installed the FXE file in the GPMM file and filled a QUAKE folder with my Quake PC version, means the PAKs. It loads the menu and all stuff but after I selected the single player it freezes.

Then I leeched one gpQuake from some FTP which SHOULD work right it is. But the same again, I waited for 3 minutes but it doesn't work either.

What to do?

Can I also install freeware WADs? Are there some addons like the Western Doom out there?

For some reason this quake port only runs on 32mb smc Cards.
On other cards it just freezes (as you noticed).

Don't know why. :blink: But it was said on this board a time ago.

Hope this helps.

Also, gpQuake was only ever tested using the shareware version, and after getting less than 2 fps, was abandoned, so never tested using any full versions.

To do anything decent with it, it's needs a good rewrite with fast integer maths rather than the floating point it uses at the minute.

Would GPQuake actually be any good? Reason being, that i've got Pocket Quake for my PDA. On a 400mhz processor, it's playable, but still somewhat behind in performance.

The GP32 runs at only 166mhz max, and being (as far as I know) an ARM processor, would it be enough?

Pocket Quake is apparently written quite sloppily, then, or is hindered by some kind of specific hardware bottleneck when the program was written for a much wider range of hardware, remember that the original quake even worked on 486 (Mine was a 25mhz with a math coprocessor ^.^) and the GP32 has a distinct advantage over programs made for palms in general: it has one single set of hardware that it will be run on, the same advantage that console machines have. That means that the code can be optimized for the hardware that the developers know for a fact will be there and wouldn't have to waste any cycles or space on making it more compatible with various hardware. I, frankly, wouldn't be surprised (But, I would, of course, be extremely happy ^.^) if we eventually got a version of quake running at 15~20+ fps at 133mhz (But I'd rather the development continue on osnes9xgp or a genesis emu at the moment ^.^)

Regardless of the hardware limitation, I think that the GP32's control set-up would make a GPQuake all but unplayable. Doom works so well because you only ever move on the X-axis, once you start having to look up and down using just on d-pad things are going to get messy - especially in a frantic game like Quake.

I don't think I could bear playing quake without a mouse, but as phocks says- better to have snes and other emu's worked on really, they'll get far more use

I think it would be worth it just to attract a more broad community. I doubt i'd ever play it even if it was full speed. But yeah, full version wasn't tested probably because it only runs on 32mb cards. Would the full version even fit on a 32mb card? Hmm, even though it hasn't been optimised for fixed point, I wonder if anyone with a 32mb card wants to test it overclocked to 166...

Well, I've got a 32mb card, and a machine that'll clock to 166, along with the gpQuake sources. However, I can't find my Quake1 CD :(

Back