GP32 Gpfontmaker 2.0 W.i.p

Oankali

Website
www.nekanium.com
I’m working on version 2.0 of GPFontMaker.

At first glance, the program seems to be the same, but in reality it contains new properties that allows you de generate fonts of a better quality (if we want to spent some time to post process the font with an image editor).
To do that, now you can add an alpha mask to the font to make shadow effects or antialiasing.
But you have to keep in mind that GPFontMaker wont do the job for you. It will help you to generate the bitmaps (for the font and the mask), of the good size and with all the characters, that you’ll have to post process with your image editor like PhotoShop.
Also, GPFontMaker still generates only 16bits fonts.

But I think that the best improvement is that now GPFontMaker is able to generate a new file type (.OKF = Oankali Font ;-) ) that contains all the necessary data to display correctly the font (bitmaps, font type, dimensions for each character, etc…)
This font format has been designed to occupy as less space as possible on the SMC, without entering in advanced compression algorithms. In .OKF fonts, bitmaps are coded in a custom RLE that uses the characteristics of the GP32. With this technique, a 16bits font will occupy 3 to 10 times less space on your SMC. All will depend on the post processing and if the font has an alpha mask or not.
And if you need it, GPFontMaker can generate automatically the .C source file(s) with the whole .OKF file in case you want to embed the font in the .FXE.

The package will be released with a full function .C library to let you manage the fonts.
The library will be open source, and the .OKF format documented.

The goal of this new version was to design a standard file format for high quality fonts for the GP32 that we could share and exchange, and to replace the current fonts in the official GP32 SDK.
The fonts are bitmap fonts of one size, not like TrueType fonts that are vectorial fonts of several sizes.
When all will be public, you will tell me if I have reached my goal.

And now, some questions for the community:
Are you interested in this work?
Do you think you will use it?
Anybody has looked at the current version of GPFontMaker?
Anybody has used the current version of GPFontMaker to generate fonts?
In this case, how would you improve the GPFontMaker?

And if anyone is interested in optimising the functions of my library with assembler, contact me.

Oankali.

I'm very interested in that, especially if there will be a possibility to include the fonts into mr. mirko's SDK (well, as the lib is open source, it shouldn't be a problem to port it). I'm looking for something like that for a longer time and was even tempted to do my own font system, but if you're doing one... ;)

If you managed to create variable width fonts and then combined that with a fast 8/16bit ASM font routines for the GP32, that would be so awesone. I know thats a lot to ask. Though If there could be an option to export fonts with variable widths, I could look into writing some C routines for drawing them.

Are you interested in this work?
Sure, yes I am.

Do you think you will use it?
Definetly.

Anybody has looked at the current version of GPFontMaker?
Not yet. Just learned about from your post.

Anybody has used the current version of GPFontMaker to generate fonts?
Not yet. Just learned about from your post.

In this case, how would you improve the GPFontMaker?
Well see. Get that tool out.

I use your fontmaker (and the source for displaying it) in my mp3 player, and I couldn't live without it!

The only problems I have are:

1) On some fonts at some sizes some letters (usually thin ones like 'i') are offset and make that font unusable, but this can be worked around easily enough so it really is no big deal

2) There is a memory overhead when using the same font in different colours (and different transparency colours) as you have to create it for each combination

But these are really minor problems, the first being fixable with a quick trip to Photoshop, and the second I could easily fix by rewriting the font display code slightly myself if I could be arsed. ;-)

The file format sounds a great idea, as I plan on reducing the size of my mp3 player by compressing all the graphics into an archive.

If you want to see and an example, visit this link:
Example at GP32Spain

If you managed to create variable width fonts

As you can see Daz_Genetic it's a variable pitch font, also called proportional font.

And Robert_John_Shepherd, if you could send me save file *.fmk of an example of the problem you are speaking about, it would be nice.
Also you have to know that the sources that are packaged with version 1.0 are a light version of the sources I use in my own programs :rolleyes: . In mine you can change colors as you can see in my games Puzzle Mix and Animings.
But don't worry, this time the sources will be complete and with new improvements, but not compatible with the current version :huh:

Back