Gpdivx?

GPDivx might suit you better (*JUST* possibly) if you don't want to have any sound at all, and don't min about consistency of framerate (at times it runs as fast as 60 fps! Unfortunately, when there's a lot of action it drops to 11). It does have sound if you're willing to use uncompressed PCM at 8kbs ~ 11025KHz. This is not worth it for the space something takes up. Trust me.

Alternatives to GPCinema... well, I suppose there's Moviepark (though that's no longer on sale, and therefore impossible to find unless you owned a GP32 and bought it before it went off the market), and there's also Aquafish's United GP Viewer which claims to open anything encoded for GPCinema. Presumably it may open some other stuff in addition though, or be even more picky - I don't think anyone's really tried it in all seriousness since GPC became freeware.

Oh, and there's GPMP, which I'm pretty sure is a GPCinema demo, though I can't be certain on that. What I do know is that it can't play anything longer than 6 and a half minutes (I did some experiments before I got hold of Moviepark due to lack of a CC to buy the latter with at the time). It also only opens one file called GundapOP.avi in the rot directory, so if you want to use it, you need to set up some kind of filing system and use COMI to move your files around between sections. I did at one stage have a film encoded for it, ant th experience was quite good, but nothing like as good as provided by either Moviepark or GPC.

Other than that... 'fraid not, although I did hear a rumour (and it is a rumour, and one I've not heard anything further about) of someone trying to implement a codec system for the GP32 or something similar rather than having what could be played unique to each player... Personally, I suspect that's either my imagination or something that nothing will ever come from, but hey - it *could* happen. Maybe.

EDIT: Typos...

I don't find gp cinema picky. I have encoded about 150 files all together and none not even my first one didn't work. They all work. Always have and always will.

Neo may be the ONE, The architect may be the architect and I am

THE ENCODER

Likewise, though it is picky about 3 things. Namely:
- Bad Frames; GPC can't just ignore them, it has to crash. This tends to be an issue especially at the start of animes where you don't notice the glitch on a PC until you try to re-encode.
- Audio rates: Have to me a multiple of 11025KHz, which can cause problems for Newbies (though I personally don't find this hugely awkward since VD does such an excellent job of converting between sample rates)
- Codec compatibility: Moviepark worked with 3ivX as well, and I think wasn't quite as fussy about Xvid builds as GPC is. The result was that *occasionally* (and if you were good with 3ivX and such) you could make your film smaller for Moviepark at better quality than for GPC. Personally, since I only encode with DivX 4.12 anyway, this is a nonissue.

Other than that its fine, tbh. Indeed, it'll even manage very very high bitrates if you throw them at it and give it 166MHz to play with - some guy was encoding for it (because he didn't know better, but even still) at 700KBs to start with. The result was very juttery, he said (and unsurprisingly so, considering its about 7 times the data its supposed to get) but watchable. Needless to say, though, on the GP32's small LCD screen where there's no question of resizing it to a larger monitor, this is a pointless thing to do, but its still impressive.

Back