GPD XD

That's indeed weird, doesn't make sense but seems to be the case with all Q9 I got.
I've sent GPD an email and will let you know what their reply is.

This is running Android right? Regardless of where the apps are installed by default, can't you move the already installed apps to the SD card from settings -> applications?

-Neelix

That's indeed weird, doesn't make sense but seems to be the case with all Q9 I got.

Thanks for the fast support!
Hopefully they'll fix it with a firmware update or something, because apart from this and the very low range nubs the device it outright awesome. Ttwin stick shooters are out of the question and better on Pandora by far though. The new Crimsonland looks great on the screen but is unplayable with these nubs, although I'm more used to keyboard and mouse anyway when it comes to stuff like this.
The d-pad (disc) is great (even for Pandora standards), the buttons are clicky, the shoulderbutton placement on the side is actually a pretty good idea, 3D Android games like Riptide, Carmageddon etc... run perfectly, Dreamcast runs good too, the mapping software is always accessible and easy to set for each game specifically, the big screen has a good viewing angle and nice colors, it's not heavy, thanks to two "bumps" on the back you got a nice grip, the battery life isn't too bad for the weight and big screen and it hasn't so much wasted space as the GPD XD.
It just needs the possibility to install more than 3-5 games and some emulators before being full, I can cope with the useless nubs.

This is running Android right? Regardless of where the apps are installed by default, can't you move the already installed apps to the SD card from settings -> applications?

Doesn't work with most of the games for some reason either. Ends in a failed transfer.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me if this is normal?
GPD Q9 from ED came formatted like this:

The result was, that it was already full after installing a few games and 10gb of the internal storage are unused as "NAND".
I'm not too savvy, but I've learned that the small part of the internal storage is for important stuff like firmware and you install apps on the other/bigger part, so shouldn't it be the other way round? Haven't changed any setting so far.

I'm confused.

Edit: Can only change the default installation location from "internal" (2.89GB) to "external".
The only affect of changing this was, that the external SD card is now mounted as NAND and the internal 10GB partition (previously called "nand") is shown as external sd card, it's still trying to install on the internal 2.89GB partiton which is still "internal storage".
No matter what I do, I can't install anything on the bigger part of the overall internal storage (16GB according to specs in the shop). ><
I could really use more than 2.89GB internal storage.

Unfortunately I think this is just a quirk with older versions of android since I had a 4.3 tablet with a similar limitation. It's probably worth checking the dingoonity forums for a solution. The Q9 should also be rooted so you should be able to find something which can enlage the app partition too.

My guess is that you asked them to remove the default firmware due to it seemingly being a front end for downloading roms. GPD then reflashed a plain Android rom using the default setting with the rockchip flash tool.

I know when I reflashed a Rockchip device (Pipo M7Pro) in the past there was an option to set the size of the internal memory (where you can install apps), seem to remember the default was set to a ridiculously low level. Sadly this was done using a modified version of the default tool so doubt if this method would work for GPD devices.

Thanks for the fast support!
Hopefully they'll fix it with a firmware update or something, because apart from this and the very low range nubs the device it outright awesome. Ttwin stick shooters are out of the question and better on Pandora by far though. The new Crimsonland looks great on the screen but is unplayable with these nubs, although I'm more used to keyboard and mouse anyway when it comes to stuff like this.
The d-pad (disc) is great (even for Pandora standards), the buttons are clicky, the shoulderbutton placement on the side is actually a pretty good idea, 3D Android games like Riptide, Carmageddon etc... run perfectly, Dreamcast runs good too, the mapping software is always accessible and easy to set for each game specifically, the big screen has a good viewing angle and nice colors, it's not heavy, thanks to two "bumps" on the back you got a nice grip, the battery life isn't too bad for the weight and big screen and it hasn't so much wasted space as the GPD XD.
It just needs the possibility to install more than 3-5 games and some emulators before being full, I can cope with the useless nubs.

Doesn't work with most of the games for some reason either. Ends in a failed transfer.
If it's rooted then you can install Link2SD.

Hi Evil Dragon.

If I order one of the black 32gb GPD xds from the dragonbox shop, can you make sure that it will be defect free? Meaning you inspect it before it is sent out? Scratches, light bleed on the screen, etc. I would like to get one of these from a reputable place. What would be the cost and what would be the soonest I could get it? Willing to pay more for shipping to get sooner.

Thanks

I always check for scratches on the screen (as I clean all the fingerprints anyways), but I'm not sure about the light bleeding.. they all have it a bit, at least all the ones I saw. Doesn't seem to be better or worse with some units, but some guys think it's horrible while I didn't really notice it that bad.

If you order via UPS, you get it within a few days (depending on where you're from).

Prices can be found at the shop :)

Thanks for the information.

I live in the USA, would that still be a few days via UPS?

Also, I noticed that the Black 32GB version of the GPD XD shows as Out of Stock. Any idea when they will be in stock again?

Thanks again.

Yes, UPS usually needs four days to US, however, UPS charges about 60 EUR for shipping... sadly, as a battery is included, only UPS shipping is possible,

I can thoroughly check the device before for any defects if you like, just mention that in the comment section on the checkout page.

I don't know exactly when GPD will ship the next ones to me (I already reordered them), but last time they were pretty fast, so it could be end of next week.

Thanks.

It shows as in Stock now. I am trying to order it but as I progress through the checkout process, I am getting an error message that the item that I am trying to order has an availability that is less that the quantity I am requesting (which is just one unit). This is for the GPD XD 32gb in black.

Could you please assist? Thanks again.

That's weird... it shouldn't show on stock.
Probably some bug in the shop - I am currently switching to advanced stock management where it also handles stuff that's being shipped to you but not yet available for sale.

I'll check the shop!

I've ordered one, too (the blue one).

Did ED anything to the OS like removing some preinstalled emulators or something to make it legal for the German/European market? And does it come with the newest firmware?

Yes, it will be a mostly plain Android.
But you can simply use Aptoide (preinstalled) to install the Happy Chick Emulator :)

It's been ordered and paid, but not yet shipped. I expect the shipping to happen within this week, so it should arrive next week.

Thank ED. I am really tempted to just order the blue 32gb or the off-red 64gb one as I am getting impatient;)

On a side note, from what I am reading in this topic, the Dragonbox shop is removing all the emulators and associated rom files before selling to the consumer?

Could you let me know what exactly is being removed and if/how I can get all of it back?

I intend to install all of the console emulators and full rom sets, including MAME, because I love emulation. Along with moonlight and play android games from the Google as store.

Please let me know before i order. Also is the red color nice or not? Thanks

Doug

We're not removing it, we're getting the GPDs with the emulators already removed :)

What's missing is (AFAIK, as I've never used their OS) Happy Chick, KO Game Box and their own launcher.
The launcher is nothing spectacular anyways and both Happy Chick and the KO Game Box can be installed within seconds using the Aptoide store (which is preinstalled).

Here is also a very helpful site. Following it will give you a better installation than the original GPD one in my opinion:
https://www.entertainmentbox.com/retro-gaming-on-android-tv-boxes/

Thanks ED. How about the blue and red colors? Are they nice or is it better to wait for the black?

Back