GPD XD

I'm still quite happy with mine. I've ran it though about 4 charge cycles so far playing snes and ps1 games. Seeing about 7-8 hours before the 10% warning comes up. I've not experienced any of the reported problems, maybe I was just lucky.
It's like anything, the people with problems are always the most vocal. Most people with no issues aren't going to shout from the mountain tops about it.
Chris
Also, most people that have problems with their unit might be too ashamed to publicly admit it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it was. 
willgoo is not only an official seller @dingoonity...but willgoo is also a forum/website member, which means people shouldn't say bad things about willgoo. If people have a problem with willgoo as a store, they should do it via pm.

Yes, it was. 
willgoo is not only an official seller @dingoonity...but willgoo is also a forum/website member, which means people shouldn't say bad things about willgoo. If people have a problem with willgoo as a store, they should do it via pm.

That's a terrible policy. I can understand prohibiting call-out threads of a forum user, but that shouldn't extend to criticizing corporate actions just because that company is represented by a forum account. Limiting complaints via PM is a good way to make sure no one else realizes there's a problem. Being an official seller, whatever that means, should also not shield them from complaints. Even if Willgoo ran the forums directly they shouldn't remove such threads, although they'd be within their rights if they want to do so. It's just extremely user and consumer unfriendly practice.

I'm also trying to become a reseller here in Germany. So if some of you are interested, you might be able to get it here as well :)

I think it'd make a decent addition to your store, I'm sure you'd sell a good amount of them!

I saw a forum post here from a few months ago about the upcoming GPD XD. Well, I happen to live in Shenzhen, where the HQ for the company is. I paid them a visit yesterday and picked up a brand new one. The company was nice enough to throw in a free case and stuff too. Anyway, here's a breakdown:

My thoughts:
Good storage (but not as good as Openpandora) for it's size. Internal 64 GB sd, can hold another 64 gb sd.
Longest battery life I have seen on a tablet. (probably 6 or 7+ hours of 3d games like n64 and PSX and maybe 10ish for lower-resources stuff like SNES, MAME, and web browsing) Comparable to Openpandora, but I don't think quite as long.
Good hardware- Quadcore 2GHZ rockchip, 2 gigs ram, great screen and really snappy buttons
Good build quality- feels great, sturdy, screen is solid (my 8 day old pandora already has a loose screen hinge, and the battery isn't seated properly)
Pre-rooted- but running 4.4.4, so I can't install a linux distro alongside it (I tried).
The nubs, buttons, and triggers feel great, with my pandora...i find myself trying to use the nubs as infrequently as I can.

The GPD definitely wins in terms of hardware specs and build quality. No doubt about it.

Over all, I still like the Pandora more, because it's open source and I find a proper linux distro is better than android, but this is a good dedicated gaming machine.
If the GPD XD was open source and used all that free space for a keyboard, I would use that as my go-to portable device in a heartbeat.

I saw some posts about this device, and thought you guys might like some more info.

IMG_20151016_103541_HDR.jpg

I'm sorely tempted to get one of these for portable Reicast (Shenmue and Powerstone on the go!). Seen some videos on Youtube and it looks very polished for a cheap-ish Chinese device.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently got mine an I am impressed. (few weeks now)

Software: No bloatware, Device is rooted from the beginning. It has a great button-touch matching tool for android games (Though there are still too few android games worth playing, of course except GTA:SA).

It has high emulation compatibility and integration of emus into the system out of the box. Old systems (SNES, NES, MD...) up to Dreamcast, PS1 and N64 work flawlessly. (ok.. except for occasional slowdowns and incompatibilities... like with every emulation). Not tested PSP.

Hardware: Build quality is not great but good. Absolutely feels like a 3ds xl. Some complain about the dpad could be better but I have no issues with it at all. Battery life is roundabout 8 hrs, even when heavily used. Never used HDMI though. I can only suggest to get it with the most internal storage, as Android phones in general dont make good use of external MicroSD. This is no exception.

With nice Buttons for everything (even for Taskmanager), the navigation is nice and not to compare to mobile phones. My Pandora just laying around since, but I will get back to it soon. The new toy is just amazing...

For what its built for, it is great, but dont expect more of it. Its just a gaming device. For example, applications using keyboard input or switching to portrait mode ar no fun at all. Don't use ist for everyday tasks. For the price its great.

I only spotted this device by accident the other day.

Dreamcast emulation looks pretty decent, does it use Reicast?

Has anyone tried Virtua Tennis 1 or 2 as those have slowdown, I think it's down to emulation though not processor speed.

Can someone tell me if this is normal?
GPD Q9 from ED came formatted like this:

The result was, that it was already full after installing a few games and 10gb of the internal storage are unused as "NAND".
I'm not too savvy, but I've learned that the small part of the internal storage is for important stuff like firmware and you install apps on the other/bigger part, so shouldn't it be the other way round? Haven't changed any setting so far.

I'm confused.

Edit: Can only change the default installation location from "internal" (2.89GB) to "external".
The only affect of changing this was, that the external SD card is now mounted as NAND and the internal 10GB partition (previously called "nand") is shown as external sd card, it's still trying to install on the internal 2.89GB partiton which is still "internal storage".
No matter what I do, I can't install anything on the bigger part of the overall internal storage (16GB according to specs in the shop). ><
I could really use more than 2.89GB internal storage.

Last edited:
Back