Gpalarmclock?

DarkHawke

Still Fresh
So here's what I'm thinkin' - if I hook my GP32 up to a time switch with the DC converter and leave it switched on wihtout batteries in, it should be switched on when the time switch goes off in the morning. With PacRom I should be able to auto-boot into an mp3 player, and have the music of my choice blaring out in the morning (maybe I'll use some external speakers to crank up the volume a bit ;) )

Problem though: GPMadMP3 doesn't, as far as I know, auto-boot into an mp3, you still have to press 'A'. If memory serves, Omega5's WMA/MP3 player does the same. Anyone know of an mp3 player that'll autorun mp3s, or perhaps an easier way of doing this?

I'm just thinking this'd be a cheaper and easier solution that having to buy a CD alarm clock. And I want to wake up to James Brown's 'Get up!', dammit!

if u look in the tamagotchi 32 thread someone mentioned a cmos battery mod for gp32 that way u could turn of gp32 and have it 'auto switch on' for the alarm clock like phones do, (would this be possible??????????) :huh:

DarkHawke posted on Sep 26 2004 at 11:03 AM said:
So here's what I'm thinkin' - if I hook my GP32 up to a time switch with the DC converter and leave it switched on wihtout batteries in, it should be switched on when the time switch goes off in the morning. With PacRom I should be able to auto-boot into an mp3 player, and have the music of my choice blaring out in the morning (maybe I'll use some external speakers to crank up the volume a bit ;) )

Problem though: GPMadMP3 doesn't, as far as I know, auto-boot into an mp3, you still have to press 'A'. If memory serves, Omega5's WMA/MP3 player does the same. Anyone know of an mp3 player that'll autorun mp3s, or perhaps an easier way of doing this?

I'm just thinking this'd be a cheaper and easier solution that having to buy a CD alarm clock. And I want to wake up to James Brown's 'Get up!', dammit!

You mean that's easier than using an alarm clock...? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with this is that unlike the Neo Geo Pocket the GP32 doesn't have a backup battery which keeps the memory there constantly. This enables the clock, calender and horoscope that launch when a cartridge is not inserted (on the Neo Geo). This system works by having a s 2p sized oversized watch battery (I'm sure someone will tell you the name of this battery but I don't know : /). As you can see the two AA's are on the left and the "oversized watch battery" is on the right:
neogeo.jpg

I'm sure some guy (cos there's so many clever guys doing GP32 mods out there) will make something like this for the GP32.

Until then (and it's been discussed before) you could make an alarm clock program which lets you set the time and then puts the GP on a very slow speed while it waits, leaving the screen blank (so it doesn't waste batteries). And then the alarm will go off full blast.

Also I guess you could plug your GP to the mains and havbe the screen off whilst waiting for the alarm, but I don't know if leaving an inactive GP for that long will affact it.

I hope that helped ;)

EDIT: through further research I now know that Rob Brown's done the modification! So talk to him :p

You could theoretically do the CMOS battery mod, and then write an alarm clock program to keep the internal timer fresh, but I'm not exactly sure how PC clocks work nor do I want to find out.

An easier way would be to have the user set the current time when the program is run, and then wait until the designated time through some form of crude approximation with the GP32's clock speed, and then ring the bell, but that has a tendency to fall down if the GP32 speedsteps on low battery.

Back