Gp32linux And Opie :) [pda]

is it possible for gp32 linux to eventually support the ext connector on the gp32, or maybe a serial port using darkfaders schematics?

OmarNawaz posted on Jul 15 2004 at 11:30 PM said:
is it possible for gp32 linux to eventually support the ext connector on the gp32, or maybe a serial port using darkfaders schematics?
i believe it already has support for the chatboard, use the right intrid (or some such) file and you can make use of it!

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm is there a stripped down version of gp32 linux with just the command environment, but with support for joystick, buttons and ext port?

benjaminblasius@web.de posted on Jul 15 2004 at 10:19 PM said:
hi at here you can find different releases of gplinux: http://gp32linux.gp32news.com/
i think the one you are looking for is "micro" or one in the folder "hidden".
just try.
yeah :) thanks alot !! the one in Micro work really fine & run by default a small tetris (for those who are interested to try ;p)

btw how can I get a shell to type usuall commands???
& how to add a new application ??? every opie app works (with the opie distrib) ???
is it possible to compile something under the GP32 (in RAM of course actually coz the SMC is read only) ??? if yes how??? ;p

and is it possible to put a background to this small linux ???? if yes how??? ;)

thanks for everything again :)

CrazyDesi posted on Jul 16 2004 at 08:15 PM said:
Anyone got a list of stuff compatible with this?
hummm for sure it run the following :
tetrix
textedit
minesweep
snake
qpdf (to read pdf but super slow)
backgammon
calculator
go
kbill

+ FileBrowser (haven't try yet)
+ html browser
+ playing flash / swf files

not so bad ;p

As ingeras said Zaurus binaries are compatible with the gp32.

erfumeta, from elotrolado.net explained to me the way he do it.

First download the app. Zaurus application are compressed into .ipk files.
You can decompress like tar file.

Inside the file there are three files. Decompress the data.tar.gz and put the files in /linux/bin in the smc.

Then edit start file:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#_______________OPIE TEST__________________________________
#cd /opt/QtPalmtop/bin
cd /mnt/gpmm/linux/bin

#__________________FIN VAR D ENVIRONNEMENT___________________________

#--------------------------------------------------
# RUN APPLICATIONS
#--------------------------------------------------
./sketches -qws

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the "RUN APPLICATIONS" section write the app's name.

Just boot.

I tried a simple drawing application and works.

http://download.handango.com/shareware/996...hes_1_0_arm.ipk

sketches4.jpg
Hello :)

I've try what you explain but it doesn't work for me :(
in fact when I extract this ipk (the one in your exemple) I got 3 files as you & find the data.tar.gz .... but when I extract this one I got a tree like this .\data\opt\QtPalmtop\ , this last folder getting 4 folders himself (apps, bin, help, pics) ....
does I need to keep the tree like this when I copy the files to the gp32 linux folder???
or does I need to take the 4 last folders & put them directly???
what should I do???

thanks alot :)

(I've try both & it doesn't work :(( )

I just tried the flash player and it certainly is really impressive! I can't wait till the next version and until that it Happy Three Little friends time!

the "micro" release feature nano-x, and some applications
it show you can have 3 small applications running fast , at [nearly] the same time
-------------------
you can modify start , so it doesnt run opie, or xfbdev , whatever
then you just have your shell, and can type commands like ls, cd , mount, ...
---------------------------
hen I extract this one I got a tree like this .\data\opt\QtPalmtop\ , this last folder getting 4 folders himself (apps, bin, help, pics) ....
you have to take the application from QtPalmtop\bin
and put it somewhere on your smc
then before running it , you have to be in the right directory
e.g. you put "app" aplication on your smc in /gpmm/linux/myapps
then
add to start
cd /mnt/gpmm/linux/myapps
./app

full opie is too slow [ eat too much ram :(]
but there are applications working
right now , as i said somewhere
we are working on other gui [graphical user interface]
like [ microwindows/nanox and kdrive/xfdev]
gpe familiar applications for ipaq should work
with those, and fltk applications too
but we have some mouse issues with kdrive and some chatboard issues
with nanox, have to work on it, but dont have time right now :(

cyberic is compiling some applications thanks to openembedded
-------------------------
i hope that next week, some tutorials will be up on www.gp32linux.com
need help with tutorials, and everything you might/want to help with
------------------
we have started a little tutorial , how to compile small apps for gp32linux
with a nice gui editor, and you can try your applications on your pc
before compiling for gp
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=12412
-------
for the flash player, i tought that the sound problem was because of the beta sound drivers, but the problem seems to be somewhere else, as they have the same problem on ipaq
[ they have a flash player now , thanks to me ;) ]

OmarNawaz posted on Jul 15 2004 at 11:30 PM said:
You should be able to connect the gp to you PC with a serial cable, yes.

It requires a custom kernel, which I can provide if you have a serial cable.

With this, normally, we should be able to use SLIP protocol.

Anyone interested in sending me a serial cable? (I am ready to pay, and it will speed up development a lot)

Thanks
cyberic

I qualified for the chatboard already and I'm satisfied with it, so I'll try for the serial cable...

ingeras posted on Jul 17 2004 at 03:42 PM said:
the "micro" release feature nano-x, and some applications
it show you can have 3 small applications running fast , at [nearly] the same time
-------------------
you can modify start , so it doesnt run opie, or xfbdev ,

thanks ALOT Ingeras for your answers :)

Yeah the Micro release is really running extremly fast and I love this :) but is there a way to find more small small apps to try which are supposed to run fine with it???

------------

Thanks for the shell, I success to get it :) but I would love to get it run in a window with some other apps, is it possible??? yeah I'm greedy lol :D

------------

concerning the Zaurus Apps , they can run ONLY with the Opie release , right???
btw I'll try it soon :) thanks :)

-----------

I'm looking forward to your tutorial, & I'll do my best to success to make them ;)

-----------

and congratulation again for the Flash ;p

cyberic posted on Jul 17 2004 at 04:56 PM said:
You should be able to connect the gp to you PC with a serial cable, yes.

It requires a custom kernel, which I can provide if you have a serial cable.

With this, normally, we should be able to use SLIP protocol.

Anyone interested in sending me a serial cable? (I am ready to pay, and it will speed up development a lot)

Thanks
cyberic
hmm are you serious about that because if you are i will be willing to pay for the cable and have it sent to you.

micro release
is there a way to find more small small apps to try which are supposed to run fine with it???
--------------------------
yes
you can see my tutorial in the dev section to make your own ;)
[ video tutorail, easy interfaces design ]

or
you can have a look at
http://www.fltk.org/links.php?L+P6
and try to compile for arm [gp32]
[ see tutorial in dev section ]

i was just wondering what are the things you guys are finding that is preventing gp32 from having a usable linux distrubution turning it into a PDA type device.

I heard it is something to do with mounting the smc card properly or acessing it. (i know i do sound dumb all this is pretty new to me)

can some of you techical guys post the actual specifics i.e problems you are facing/trying to sort out.

i know it might seem pointless giving me the information but i guarantee it will be worth it. :D

OmarNawaz posted on Jul 20 2004 at 12:05 AM said:
i was just wondering what are the things you guys are finding that is preventing gp32 from having a usable linux distrubution turning it into a PDA type device.

i know it might seem pointless giving me the information but i guarantee it will be worth it. :D
The main problem is that the GP is really limited in ram. We only have 6mo of useable ram once the kernel is loaded (we should be able te increase it a little bit by freeing the initial ramdisk, but ... it doesn't free anything, we don't know why)

The X server is taking 15% of the ram, 6% for rxvt (the terminal).

And when the apps need glib2, gtk2 or any other library, it needs a lot of memory.

In fact I succeded in compiling some interesting apps such as gkrellm (this one was for fun) or other gtk2 apps, but when I launch it they are VERY slow to load (several minutes) and never finish to load.
(I can provide the files if requested)

I'll try some gtk1 apps.

Which app would you like to see on the GP?

About the SMC 'problem': We only have read access to the SMC right now, so we can't write or save any file. But this is not really a problem to get some apps to run anyway.

And for the serial cable, yes I am serious about it.
How much? I sent a mail to Nigel Brown as well.

As usual, if anyone can help with these problems...

If you find it useful, I will put a quick tutorial on how to compile apps with openembedded.

C U
cyberic

I am still having problems just getting the flash player setup.

I followed the tutorial on the gp32x site, along with trying everything on gp32linux.com, and even the packaged fpk (which truncates names, is this a problem?)

Every time I get messages like
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 1f:00.
mount: <ounting /dev/mtdblock0 on /mnt failed: Invaled arguement
/etc/init.d/rcS: /mnt/gpmm/linux/start: No such file or directory

the busybox shell message....

then
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off.

I thought it might be the card, so I formatted it both with pc link, and tryed again formatting it with a smc reader under windows 98. Neither worked.

Could someone post a zip of the flash player all setup so I can try again, or point out a mistake I might be making?

Also, could someone post some fun linux zips all setup to try on gp32linux or on the forum, without too much setup, just to show off the gp32?

Thanks
Mth411

thanks for the info cyberic

i remeber something about a GPI which had linux on it has anyone tried to contact gamepark about this, as i strongly believe that if gp32 had linux on it especially in europe it will make it sell much more.

Alright basically about the serial cable i am willing to pay for the cable and i want a way to add extra hardware via the ext port by firstly getting full serial port support, then incorporating drivers for basic devices that are most compatible with linux.

This will create much more interest in the gp32/linux scene allowing us to to finally get the help we need with the smc problem.

So cyberic if you are willing to take on at least part of this task i will pay for a serial cable aswell as paying for other work you do:

Enabling full serial port support: £25

Incorporating a driver i.e basic modem or other device with good support with linux: £25

Proof of work like a video or picture i would like to see first, no code will have to be released until money is recieved.

Let me know what you think. Pm me

Thanks

I wanna this programs in gp32linux :)

first multi-language support. wanna native-language pda :)

and html viewer, flash player, scheduler, calculator, dictonary,

pdf viewer, text editor(multi-language, chatboard support),

openoffice(i heard about small thing),

if entire package is too big, you can make small packages.

and we can choose among them :)

just wish. don't care. make what you want :)

cheers!!! i'm really impressed about this genius attempt.

Back