Gp32ide Posted

Alessandro

Website
Visit site
Yo yo yo all. :huh:

I'm posting this news to let you know I've just sent the IDE and the html page to Nigel Brown, so you'll find it online as soon as it posts it (hope in the next hours).

I've tested it in those days, and it seems to work without any bug.. :rolleyes:

For the ones who haven't heard of GP32iDE before, here's a quick description:
It's a freeware program that will let you develop your GP32 stuff easily providing an editor, a syntax highlight, an interface with the compiler (GCC devkit, not included), and a fast way to test in the emulator (not included).

Since I've introduced new features, the version has been upgraded to v1.01.. you can now trash the 1.00Preview edition. ;-)

Here's what you'll find in this version:

- Created a project file manager; now you can save/reopen GP32iDE project files
- Added a project wizard (finally) that will guide you in the creation of a game skeleton
- At startup, checks for existing files and paths
- Once you modify your configuration settiongs, they'll be applied instantly (no more app restart required)
- Imporved configuration window (notifies for missing paths, displays icon status for tools, ... )
- Fixed the filter while loading files
- The program now has an icon :p

...and some more few changes

I hope you'll like this first public version.

Best regards,
Alessandro

Would it be possible to make it work with MrMirko's SDK replacement?

Forgive me if I'm bringing up stuff you've already fixed.

Have you changed it so that the '//' style comments actually look commented out? I use these style comments a lot and I don't really want to change that. I also like to use proper tabs to indent my code, but you didn't support these either. Will they be supported?

Thanks for the new release. I will definatley be using this more when I've finished my current project.

Well, I won't use it as I'm using linux and VIM as an editor, BUT: Big Respect for this work, from the screenshots it looks really great, it sounds easy to use and I already read that non-developers are starting to develop just because your IDE makes it more simple, so Kudos to you. ;)

Ok I started it up, and three major things I notice are:

1. Any "tools" added to the list of tools, will not launch, (like notepad for example), I specify the exact path to notepad and I get a warning:

"Unable to find &Notepad"

Notice the ampersand in the name.

2. There is no way to create a blank project file to add files to. If you add files to the "empty" project when you start up, there is no way to save it AS a project, the Project / Save option is disabled unless you create a project with the wizard so the only way to get a project file is to use the wizard to generate an artificial project, remove and delete all of the files it creates, and copy your existing files into the directory you selected, and add them to the project file. (a bit of redundant work just to save a project) . Either an option in the wizard to create a project from existing files, or a way to create a blank project file without the wizard would be good.

It would be nice if the Save Project option was on the same menu as the Open Project, and all of the other Save options. Its a little out of place on its own menu. Also a save project button on the toolbar would be handy.

3. If I dont give it a help file path, it yells at me EVERYTIME I run the program, telling me that there isnt a valid help file. I dont have a help file for this development, I was forced to link it to some random text file. There should either be an option to select [X] No Help File, or remove the warning that pops up everytime the program is run. A help file is not needed to write apps or games so it shouldnt be a required file by the IDE.

Other then that, it looks great so far. Nice options, clean layout. Something I will certainly use when deving for gp32 in windows.

Hi guys, I'm glad you've tried the IDE and Niegel updated the site. :rolleyes:

jesnil:
I'm planning to start adding the support for Mr.Mirko's in the next days, I've just downloaded the SDK ;)

Daz_Genetic
Have you changed it so that the '//' style comments actually look commented out?
I think it's a devkit issue.. I thought I could replace when you compile the code, but have to study it. This comment style bugs me too :p Just replace the // with /* */ manually (for now)

don:
...already read that non-developers are starting to develop just because your IDE makes it more simple...
That's great man :) Thanks

Akuma:
1. Any chance you could make a linux port?
2. Any "tools" added to the list of tools, will not launch, (like notepad for example), I specify the exact path to notepad and I get a warning..."Unable to find &Notepad"
3. There is no way to create a blank project file to add files to...
4. If I dont give it a help file path, it yells at me EVERYTIME I run ...
mmm.. I don't think, I don't have Kylix and I think this would take too much time to me.. :( sorry to Linux users... you can try to run it with Wine B)
2: It's strange.. try to remove the tool (form the settings window, right click on the item and choose remove, then right click again in the list, and choose add).. It works for me.. I'm gonna trace the code anyway B)
3: I've created the project only for creating from the wizard... I'll make it possibiel in the next version, thanks for thi hint
4: Ok, I've fixed it right now... I'm gonna work on the IDE this weekend, so I'll add all these bugs <_< ;)

Thanks guys for trying it.. I hope it will be useful to you like it is for me.. Expect the 1.02 version to be out next week.. Sorry for those few bugs :blink:

Later,
Alessandro

jesnil posted on Apr 23 2004 at 09:46 AM said:
I've got it working with that already :)

Looking forward to having a look Alessandro!! Thanks :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Alessandro posted on Apr 23 2004 at 12:40 PM said:
Daz_Genetic
Have you changed it so that the '//' style comments actually look commented out?
I think it's a devkit issue.. I thought I could replace when you compile the code, but have to study it. This comment style bugs me too :p Just replace the // with /* */ manually (for now)
I think you misunderstood what I meant. I can get it to compile fine by just removing the -ansi compiler tag from the makefile.

What I actually asking for, is for the actual line after the '//' to appear commented out in the editor. Maybe greyed out, or in blue or something.

Awesome, good to hear that you are fixing those things, the list I posted is all I have found wrong with it so far, it looks like a great easy to use IDE, much simplier than DevC++ and specific to GP32 development which is an added bonus.

I look forward to your 1.02 release.

could a completely bundled pack ever be made (mirkos sdk with all the right directory settings etc or just everythign you need togeather) if i get round 2 setting it up i might do this if your ok with it and maybe just host it from my computer

gp32z
ok i've posted an installer verion of gp32 ide that has devkitadv with it + all the paths + directories correct as long as you set the installer to C:\

i'll take it down if you want alessandro i just thought i'd host a really simple setup version with the compilers etc bundled with the installer mainly because i was so amazed at how easy it was to set up a dev environment using it i thought i'd just add the final thing making it completely automated

I may soon write some very simple tutorials for people with no C experience

very nice, maybe i start coding for gp32 now.....
i asked a long time ago for such an ide and now it' out! thanks!

btw: where can i get a documentation for devkitadv?

Thank you unlucky. I was looking around for a copy of Devkit advance.
The Admins post this install on the main page. ;)

My gp32_console will love this. (Using the new icon) B)

All thanks 2 alessandro + that person who made that freeware installation program its pretty damn good and of course maker of devkitadv if it stops working can some1 tell me as its hosting from my computer + my ip might change at some point meaning the redirect wont work erm basically will host any programs for ppl on my site as it being my computer has no limit on space etc unless you want 2 host a 30gb file then i'm a bit stuck

Thanks for all of you who tried the IDE and liked it B)

I'm really proud of it... Sadly this weeken I hadn't time to spend in coding, so the 1.02 release will be for the end of this week (i hope), and not today. :(

I've alerady fixed the startup warning issue for the missing helpfile and now i'm adding support for the other SDKs B)

unlucky, no problem if you want to make a package with the devkit.. I didn't include the devkit and the emu to make the download smaller, since the IDE it's in his first days of life... plus, if I add the support for the 3 SDKs (devkit, mrmirko's, and minigp32) the package would be too big and you will get 2 other SDKs you don't use.. But if you want to make a "unofficial" distro, lemme know the address B)

Thanks again to all

Later on
Alessandro ;)

Alessandro posted on Apr 23 2004 at 12:40 PM said:
so I'll add all these bugs <_< ;)
Why do you want to add bugs? Soon it will be buggier than Windows itself ;)

I found a bug: When you click on a line, the status bar on the bottom doesn't update to show you which line. It only updates if you use up/down arrows...

Back