GP32 Gp32 Which Compiler?

TheMrCul

Still Fresh
I've been using MiniGP32 for a while now (which uses an old version of gcc I think) and read about devkitarm V8 with the latest gcc, so I downloaded that, but before I muck around setting it up, I have a few questions.

1) Have I actually downloaded the best compiler out at the moment, or is there something better already?
2) Does it work with C++ or just C?
3) Would programming GP32 stuff in C++ be a bad choice because of the overhead that C++ creates? The only thing I want C++ for over C is strings and passing by reference (maybe classes), so would the rest be a waste if I tried to use C++?

Thanks everyone!

-TheMrCul

TheMrCul posted on Oct 27 2004 at 10:44 PM said:
1) Have I actually downloaded the best compiler out at the moment, or is there something better already?
2) Does it work with C++ or just C?
3) Would programming GP32 stuff in C++ be a bad choice because of the overhead that C++ creates? The only thing I want C++ for over C is strings and passing by reference (maybe classes), so would the rest be a waste if I tried to use C++?

1) pretty much, yeah. I don't know the exact version number, but it uses some flavour of GCC 3.4 which is the best one to use.
2) It's depending on the SDK, some people reported problems with C++ and Mirko's SDK, but C++ with the original GP SDK works fine.
3) Well, I don't use C++, but the C++ projects I've seen weren't slow (I think mithris' Rally-thingy was C++, IIRC), so i guess no problem.

HTH.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your help don. :)

Okay, I downloaded and tried to set devkitarm_r8 with the sdk us, just like this website:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/raphael.domenge/ar...o_gp32_prog.htm

said to do, but the compile.bat and the makefile both complain about not being able to find-lgpfont or any of the -lgp libraries. I have no idea what to do as I have tried every makefile combination I could find on the internet but it just won't work! Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

TheMrCul posted on Oct 28 2004 at 12:05 PM said:
Thanks for your help don. :)

Okay, I downloaded and tried to set devkitarm_r8 with the sdk us, just like this website:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/raphael.domenge/ar...o_gp32_prog.htm

said to do, but the compile.bat and the makefile both complain about not being able to find-lgpfont or any of the -lgp libraries. I have no idea what to do as I have tried every makefile combination I could find on the internet but it just won't work! Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Your Link is broken. ;)
About the -lgp problem, did you download the Gamepark SDK from devkit.tk? Sounds like it's missing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I downloaded that. Put the files where it told me to. The exact error line goes like this:

c:\gp32sys\devkitarm_r8\bin\..\lib\gcc\arm-elf\3.4.1\..\..\..\..\\arm-elf\bin\ld.exe: cannor find -lgpfont
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [GPRancher.elf] Error 1

But I put the .h files into the include and the .a files into lib, so it should work! :(
Do you have any other ideas?

Don't worry, I seem to have fixed it. it had a line in the makefile like this:
SDK_LIB_DIR = C:/devkidarm_r8/arm-elf/lib
which I noticed had no gp32 stuff in it. So I changed it to:
SDK_LIB_DIR = C:/devkidarm_r8/lib
which had all of the gp32 stuff in it.
Thanks!!

Back