GP32 Gp32 Internet

jmetal88

Erm.... Woohoo!
Website
mikesweb.exofire.net
Something just crossed my mind, so I figured I might as well post about it.

Remeber how the Game.Com could connect to the internet?

Someone should write a GP32 web browser that has PPP dial-up connectivity thru the ext port so people could build modem adapter cables and use it to connect to the internet. That is, if someone could ever find the ext port libraries or figure out how to make some....

EDIT: Or maybe use the USB port and use some sort of USB-to-serial adapter.

How Do I connect my Game.Com to the Net??? I havent used it in Years :D

Thanks

yeah, Ingeras did it few ago, but the main problem was the USB HUB because it needed to have an extern alim.

Ingeras even suceed to make MSN works on Gp32!

Steve-O posted on Apr 9 2005 at 03:28 AM said:
How Do I connect my Game.Com to the Net??? I havent used it in Years :D

Thanks

First of all, it has to be a full-sized Game.Com not one of the Game.Com pocket versions (I'm not sure why that is, but I remember reading it somewhere). Second, you need the internet cartridge and cable. Third, you need a modem and need to be subscribing to a diap-up service that supports text-based intenet access through a teminal emulation program (which is actually what the internet cartridge is, it isn't a web browser at all).

So actually, I was never able to connect to the internet on Game.Com, but I was able to dial up my local library's card catalog and use their navigation system to see what books were available.

And also, I already knew about the networking capability in GPLinux, but that's not what I'm talking about.

What I thought about is maybe making a adapter cable and using a USB-to-serial adapter to connect to a dial-up modem, and making PPP Dial-up Networking support in a GP32 web browser program that would support the dialing up and the password authentication, etc.

Just thought I'd clarify that a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually they make usb dialup modems. They probably have drivers for Linux. But there still is the hub. But a modem could be modified to use battery power, or even 'steal' power from Ma Bell (the phone line).

why the hell do you want to use usb that just stupid, the gp32 haves 2 nice serial ports at the ext port. where you should be able to conenct a modem to without problems.
conencting and ialing isnt any problem, the problem would be to wirte a webbrowser wich is actualy pretty hard, or you jsut use gc-linux, should work with modem without problems, but why not just use wifi/lan.

You know why not to use wifi/lan...Phone lines are everywhere.

But anyway, here's what you could do if you wanted a 56k modem:

Get this. A external serial modem for $15 which runs on 6v 500ma DC. You could use any hardware external modem (I think this one is hardware), but I like this one ;)

Install this into the modem, wire it up and solder. That's a 4 AA enclosed battery holder with power switch, btw. (Edit: Another way would be to take the included AC adaptor's cable and splice it to the battery pack. What I would do though, is get the right adaptaplug for my Radioshack Power Bank, and that would work, too. So then all I would need is four extra batteries, or if I gave up my two spares, I'd only need two.)

Solder a ext cable in place of the serial cable. (Edit: The cable isn't builtin to the modem, so it would be a better idea to make a cable and just plug it into the modem, or use this cable.

Write suitable programs and drivers.

Then again, this would probably only happen if Nigel Brown got in on it.

If you look at the edits, in my case all I'd need is a 50 cent adaptaplug, the modem, some batteries, and the serial-to-ext cable. And alot of programming...

For testing purposes, since it doesn't have to be portable, you could use the AC adapter that comes with the modem, meaning all one would need is the modem and the serial-to-ext cable.

why not just plug your GP32 into your mobile phone, like gamepark said we could 2 years ago? :confused:

Hmmm, I've always dreamed about the possiblities. It is possible though, but I don't think anyone will get around to it. Couldn't we use the RF link for instant messaging though?

Back