Gp32 Help

Kyalami

Still Fresh
I found an offer for a GP32 for 40-80 bucks. Since I don't have the whopping 200 dollars for the GP2X, I was thinking of buying it. Would I have, more or less, the same quality as the GP2X? Main questions:

Can the Ericson keyboard attachment serve as a note-taker with additional programs/downloads?
Can it play movies, show photos, allow you to listen to music, and read .txt files with no problems, or little hassle?
Can it emulate old systems properly?
Is PSX emulation in more or less the same state as the gP2X's?
Is there a slow, slow, slow, but "workable" Windows emulator like there is on the GP2X? (Bochs and Qemu)
Are the only known problems the small storage capacity and the... thing I can't remember?
Are there a couple of good games made for it?
is the community still somewhat active?

Can the Ericson keyboard attachment serve as a note-taker with additional programs/downloads?
Yes.

Can it play movies, show photos, allow you to listen to music, and read .txt files with no problems, or little hassle?
Yes.

Yes

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry, but ... :lol:

Is there a slow, slow, slow, but "workable" Windows emulator like there is on the GP2X? (Bochs and Qemu)
No.

Are the only known problems the small storage capacity and the... thing I can't remember?
Yes.

More than a couple ...

You're here ... you decide. Read the posts in the gp32 section.

Kyalami posted on Jul 14 2006 at 05:53 PM said:
I found an offer for a GP32 for 40-80 bucks. Since I don't have the whopping 200 dollars for the GP2X, I was thinking of buying it. Would I have, more or less, the same quality as the GP2X? Main questions:

He's at it again people. Stop, drop and roll!! or, Run, Duck, and Hide!!

TelcoLou answered your questions. But you seem to be under a misapprehension that magic is put into little boxes from Korea.

In fact it is blood sweat and tears and off-the-shelf chips (the cheapest possible).

Your average smart phone is packing about 2-4X the power of the GP2X, and the GP32 is less than half as powerful or extendible. The community is not leaving the GP2X anytime soon.

Grab a GP2X on ebay, dunces are dropping them all the time for ridiculous prices. Then when you can't get it to work you can dump it on ebay again.

P.S. The GP32 has only 8MB of ram and only goes 160mhz on overclock. No Divx hardware or TV-Out, or even SD cards. 128mb is the largest card you can get, all your games or game better fit in 128MB or you are screwed. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kyalami posted on Jul 15 2006 at 12:53 AM said:

Emus are generally faster on the GP2X. The GP32 can't do NeoGeo, PSX, etc. The screen is very dark (I assume you are talking about an NLU here, no backlight) so it is impossible to use in a darker area.

This would be a good item for a collection but I wouldn't get this in place of a GP2X.

If you are focusing on dumping 1000's of roms on an SD card (and only playing 10 of them) and playing emulators all day or watching videos, get a GP2X. For everything else, get a GP32. The GP32 can/has the potential to do 80% of the things on the GP2X, so getting it at 40-80 dollars is quite a bargain.

JaqMs posted on Jul 15 2006 at 05:38 AM said:
IThe GP32 can/has the potential to do 80% of the things on the GP32

I would say the gp32 has the potential to do 100% of the things a gp32 can do.

Unless you get a NLU and it is dark... Or a FLU and the dust gets in... Or a Blu+ and half the stuff doesnt work anymore or has a massive black line through it... hmm

The gp32 can play megadrive games at full speed (FS1) for 6 hours without changing battery's
and master system for 11 hours on one charge. Eat that gp2x power hungry

JaqMs posted on Jul 14 2006 at 10:38 PM said:
The GP32 can/has the potential to do 80% of the things on the GP2X, so getting it at 40-80 dollars is quite a bargain.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:, I like the GP32's USB host and Linux OS with SDL and hardware Divx decoding and 2D blitter as well as the next guy, but aren't you sure that the GP2X isn't the least bit better? ;)

cozmic posted on Jul 15 2006 at 02:12 AM said:
The gp32 can play megadrive games at full speed (FS1) for 6 hours without changing battery's
and master system for 11 hours on one charge. Eat that gp2x power hungry
OK, I will. I can do that too. With my GP2X. It is called "underclocking" Maybe you have heard of it. If you put the master system emu @ 100mhz or so and the Megadrive emu @ 160mhz I am sure you will see similar performance. (Assuming backlight, which of course the GP2X murders the GP32 in a screen quality showdown :D). It *may* not be fully optimised, but the power draw is not out of hand on any of the MK2 units that are working properly (naysayers may not qoute those with broken power regulator's, at least not without some accurate and reliable source as to how many MK2's really have this defect.)

Kyalami doesn't seem to have the skills necessary to operate either of these machines in any case.

So the real question is not the amount of money he has, but whether he is willing to humble himself and learn. He already bitched out DaveC (DaveC only said that the N64 Emu would never happen), and told him that the "N64 came out before the PSX, so it should go fullspeed". I don't have high hopes for him and I do wish him a better attitude in the future.

Kyalami posted on Jul 15 2006 at 12:53 AM said:
1.Can the Ericson keyboard attachment serve as a note-taker with additional programs/downloads?
2. Can it play movies, show photos, allow you to listen to music, and read .txt files with no problems, or little hassle?
3. Can it emulate old systems properly?
4. Is PSX emulation in more or less the same state as the gP2X's?
5. Is there a slow, slow, slow, but "workable" Windows emulator like there is on the GP2X? (Bochs and Qemu)
6. Are the only known problems the small storage capacity and the... thing I can't remember?
7. Are there a couple of good games made for it?
8. is the community still somewhat active?
1. Well, yes, but it isn't very user friendly . . . (you'd be better off with something else)
2. Yes, but remember: 128MB SMC limit. This means your movies will have to be under 128MB (you lose a lot of quality if you try to fit a whole 2 hour movie in that)
3. Yes, for the most part, it really depends on the system and your definition of "old". NES, GBC, MD (genesis), and older systems work very well. SNES works OK if you overclock.
4. No. PSX will never make it to the gp32 for many reasons (speed, storage capacity, support, etc.)
5. No.
6. Small storage capacity, 8MB RAM, 130mhz processor, and (if you're unlucky) no backlight/frontlight and an old korean firmware that requires hacking (due to the validation service being no longer available)
7. Depends on your definition of good. For me, there are more than a couple.
8. As stated before, check out the gp32 section to find out yourself. The scene seems to mostly be producing things for the gp2x, but there are still occasional gp32 updates.

Just don't expect this to be as easy to use as a GBA, NDS, or PSP and you'll soon come to appreciate it for what it can do.

[/quote]
Kyalami doesn't seem to have the skills necessary to operate either of these machines in any case.

So the real question is not the amount of money he has, but whether he is willing to humble himself and learn. He already bitched out DaveC (DaveC only said that the N64 Emu would never happen), and told him that the "N64 came out before the PSX, so it should go fullspeed". I don't have high hopes for him and I do wish him a better attitude in the future.
[/quote]

I really like my GP32, while it does have it's limitations, there are tons of good emulators and homebrewn games for it. Nes, snes, sms, gg, Genesis, pce,atari, coleco, atari 8bit, atari 16 bit etc, etc ,etc... No neogeo (yawn) or PSX (I'm not into 3d games) and watching movies on either machine is a pain because they have to be re-encoded I'd like to have the tv out, but oh well. I alos use it to listen to mp3's and read ebooks. I don't have the chat board so I can't say if you can use it to take notes, but I know it works with the atari 16bit, and you could use a work processor for the 16bit atari (ST) to take you're notes. Neither one keeps the date and time so using it as an organizer is not really practical. I do believe there is a free launcher that works with any gp32 and you can always use a card reader/writer to put software on it. BTW... I am almost positive that it came out at least a year after the psx, and even if it didn't it has a 90mhz Sillicon Graphics cpu, so emulation isn't likely to happen on either one.

Chris

[/quote]

[/quote]

I am sorry, if I have caused any disturbance, and I do so have the time to learn (and I want to) the whole game-making/running situation. And pardon me, but I am quite new at this! I have researched my share, but I thought the best way to learn was to see what other people have to say. I will now wait until I have the money for a GP2X, instead of a GP32. Patience is a virtue.

Kyalami posted on Jul 15 2006 at 03:58 PM said:
I am sorry, if I have caused any disturbance, and I do so have the time to learn (and I want to) the whole game-making/running situation. And pardon me, but I am quite new at this! I have researched my share, but I thought the best way to learn was to see what other people have to say. I will now wait until I have the money for a GP2X, instead of a GP32. Patience is a virtue.
Cool, I hope you get some games running. If you really really want windows you can try a Libretto, it is a laptop that is closer to a palmtop than a laptop, I had a couple and they are pretty cool, they are about the size of a VHS tape. The old ones can be had for $100 if you look around. The newer ones may still be really expensive.

The GP2X is pretty cool, and it has some limitations and faults just like the GP32, but I hope they will be worked around.

Back