Gp32 help needed!

Stoise

Still Fresh
I have been trying to get my gp32 working for 3 weeks. The things I have tried include:

Installing software on a PC (win98). Failing at the point of installing the USB driver (it just says "failed to open USB port" and I dont think I have installed the drivers properly, how do I do that? where do they go?.

Because of this I then went and bought an smc reader/writer and I have written games for the gp32 to it and my gp32 comes up with the message: "smc not inserted or no game exists" however I have checked and they do exist.

on the forums they tell me that I have to format my smc for use on a gp32 yet it does not tell me how I do this can someone here please help me?

is my Gp32 broken?
am I doing something wrong?
can someone please tell me?

The message "failed to open USB port" doesn't necessarily come up because you haven't installed the drivers.

Install the drivers again.
Plug the GP32 into a USB port on your computer using the link cable.
Turn the GP32 on and wait a few seconds.
Run the PC-Link software but do NOT click OK;
Switch to link mode on the GP32 (select, select, start)
Press OK on the PC Link dialog now.

If everything has gone OK, you should now have PC link sitting there doing nothing. Now go to File, Format and format the card.

If you're still having problems with the card, turn off the GP32, unplug it, and turn it back on; switch to PC Link mode and choose to "recover the card". Then format it again.

Read http://faq.gp32emu.com/

And post here regularly with your problems. We will help get it working.

HZ :ph34r:

"Win98" implies quite an old machine to me. How old is the motherboard? What spec machine is it? Do you have any other usb devices? A joystick, camera or pen drive perhaps? Could you borrow one off a mate to check your USB ports are working.

If they aren't, you may need the VIA Hyperion motherboard drivers (if you have a VIA motherboard). www.viaarena.com

Try the USB Filter Driver on www.viaarena.com but that's hidden away in a table somewhere. This partially sorted out a usb joystick I once had. It wouldn't work at all. Then installed the filter, and it would work for one session of use (for example a single mission in X-Wing Alliance). That was a K6/2 333MHz a few years back.

If they are working, it'll be something else.

Stoise posted on Aug 30 2003 said:
I have been trying to get my gp32 working for 3 weeks. The things I have tried include:

Installing software on a PC (win98). Failing at the point of installing the USB driver (it just says "failed to open USB port" and I dont think I have installed the drivers properly, how do I do that? where do they go?.

[spiv] there were few guys who never got Gamepark software to find GP32 under Win98. Their solution was to upgrade to Win2000. As a side note, GP32 USB driver in its firmware is broken so some driver/OS combinations just refuse to communicate with GP32.

Because of this I then went and bought an smc reader/writer and I have written games for the gp32 to it and my gp32 comes up with the message: "smc not inserted or no game exists" however I have checked and they do exist.

[spiv] just format the SMC with Gamepark tool (when you get them working). That works for me.

on the forums they tell me that I have to format my smc for use on a gp32 yet it does not tell me how I do this can someone here please help me?

is my Gp32 broken?
am I doing something wrong?
can someone please tell me?

[spiv] Your GP32 is ok most probably. I would try another PC around and see if it can communicate with the GP32. If that's ok then format SMCs and use the reader/writer. And I would really suggest upgrading the Win98 to Win2000.. as it was the fix for few people.
Few points.. that have solved problems on some other peolpe. That does not imply those will work for you though but you can always give a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back