Trouble getting GP32 to work

maladjusted

Still Fresh
Guys, i hope to find someone out there that can help me. I purchased a GP32 from GBAX and had problems getting it to work. I sent GBAX an e-mail, and they told me to send the GP32 back because it might be faulty. Some days later, they wrote me an e-mail saying the GP32 was OK and the problem was with my PC. But i doubt that, because regardless whether it is in connection with the PC or not, it always says "SMC error. Please insert SMC" even when an SMC is inserted. Well, a detailed description of my problem is here:
http://hardliner.discordia.ch/grr/gp32prob.html
I'm really desperate, i have this GP32 but can't use it, that sucks! I hope someone can have a look into it and tell me how to fix it. Perhaps the guys at GBAX are trying to cheat me, which i hope they don't.

I suspect the SMC to be broken. The communication between PC <-> GP seems to be OK if Windows XP Home (uuuaaah...) recognizes it and your setup is done well. But you say that you tested it with another card-reader ... can you format it with this reader? Can you store data on it?

Okay
here's a tip to booting it up CORRECTLY, first, switch your GP32 ON, press select twice, start up PC link (but don't press OK), connect your GP32 with your PC, press start, then click 'OK', it should work.

P.A.S.S.-chan posted on Dec 12 2003 at 11:03 AM said:
Okay
here's a tip to booting it up CORRECTLY, first, switch your GP32 ON, press select twice, start up PC link (but don't press OK), connect your GP32 with your PC, press start, then click 'OK', it should work.
You mean he didn't switch his GP to connection mode? ... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
You did insert the SMC the right way (i.e. chipside towards GP32), did you? The correct position is shown on the backside of the GP32.

I once read someone post a problem quite similar to yours. It turned out that he inserted the SMC the wrong way - which resulted in the same error messages you described.

If you can get yourself a cardreader for your PC, you can test the SMC that way too. (and use it for file transfers later on, USB transfers are way too slow)

I'm not sure if this will help, but just on the off-chance:

I had a very similar problem (although I can't remember if my error message was exactly the same as yours).

My problem was that the SMC had been used in another gadget previously (an MP3 player). When I used the "format" command in any SMC reader software except my MP3 player, the files stored on the SMC no longer showed up as present on the card in that software, but were still actually there and usable by my MP3 software. These caused lots of error reports about my SMC from the Gamepark software.
The only way I found round this problem was to delete all files on the card and format it using the MP3 player software. Then take the card from the MP3 player and move into the GP32, and format it again using the GP32 software.

The other potential problem is whether you're using the correct USB drivers for your version of windows. I think you said in your detailed description what drivers you were using, but I'm not sure. Sorry if you have already covered this :).

I remember how frustrating it was being stuck without a usable SMC for a week after getting my GP. It is a great piece of kit though, don't give up hope!

Good luck,
Melville

ovster posted on Dec 12 2003 at 10:41 AM said:
You did insert the SMC the right way (i.e. chipside towards GP32), did you? The correct position is shown on the backside of the GP32.
Holy sh1t! That was the whole problem! I'm really laughing now, all the trouble only because i failed to insert the SMC the right way. Thousand thanks to You!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back