Gp32 And Zodiac For A Media Device?

Drak

fff
Website
Visit site
The zodiac can play video files. So i asume it is better? Since it can use the 1gig SD cards. It also has a nice bigger screen.

Or is the gp32 better for movies?

And why... is the genesis emu fullspeed on the gp32, when the zodiac has 200mhz? Is it because of t he 32bitness involved with the gp32?

Zodiac is probably better for movies, though I don't own one.

Gen is better because it is coded well.

The first thing i got to say is that this topic should have been gone to other consoles, NOT general talk. :angry:

The Zodiac is indeed much better for Video playback than the GP32. Higher resolution, higher framerate, bigger screen, higher possible bitrate (thus better audio and Video quality) are some features you don´t want to miss once you´ve tried it. Also, the (free) mediaplayer tool TCPMP supports much more (and recent) codecs, so you can play any DivX/XviD/Mpeg4 movie on it without having to reencode it again- but actually i recommend to do so, since unoptimized .avi´s often have a ridiculous high bitrate, that can cause frameskips (to maintain correct playback speed) and eats up too much space on your SD card.

As for audio, the Zodiac is not per se better than the GP32, but has much better storage and is therefor much ´better if you don´t want to change SMC´s every 100 minutes. Also, SD cards are cheaper...

As for Genesis: it sucks on the Zod. Noone ever tried to make a good, optimized port, so the Genesis emulation is not really enjoyable (except for some games) it is in fact slower than SNES...

wtf is up with all the Zodiac and GP32 topics and when they're is a sticky in other consoles, why don't people search before posting. This is the easiest fricking topic to search for because there at least a dozen different threads all relating to this.

Yeah why must we have so many topics on this :angry:

Do we really need another flame bait topic ? AAARRRRGh .

Personally I would consider the PSP for these functions too. It has great video/audio and is much more supported for games. The emus have a potential to be real good someday too.

because the zodiac runs on Palm OS it is a lot more open than the GP32

this means it can play almost any media and will not require the precision encoding that the GP32 requires

plus it can show more colours so movies look nicer

Genesis is pretty good on the Zodiac; anyone who says its terrible and slow isn't on top of the ball ... however, DrMD on the GP32 blows 'em all out of the water. Its easy to explain .. all the Genesis ports for Palm OS and Zodiac are derived from Charles Macdonalds Genesis Plus PC emu, which is easy to port (a nights work), but not a complete emu per se. DrMD is Reesy's own work and thus is superior. If Reesy's code got ported..

Anyway, as always, be rational and not 'haters' :)

jeff

The zodiac can play video files. So i asume it is better? Since it can use the 1gig SD cards. It also has a nice bigger screen.

Or is the gp32 better for movies?

And why... is the genesis emu fullspeed on the gp32, when the zodiac has 200mhz? Is it because of t he 32bitness involved with the gp32?
this :)

Last edited by a moderator:
For what its worth when I go on my round the world trip (2 weeks following Glasto :D), I have Seasons 1- 8 of South Park travelling with me on my GP32. How is this possible some might say? Well I have a Sony HD3 with 15GB music and 5GB South Park, also Band of Brothers is on there as well. I have 2x128MB SMCs for this and will drop into Internet cafes to swap stuff around using a cardreader and the usb on my HD3.

what about the N-Gage QD? Seriously i just bought one, how good is the mp3 playback and video playback? I know you have to download an mp3 player for the QD.

Don't expect too much... The screen seriously sucks and the processor is still only running at 133mHz... (about the N-Gage...)

The Zodiac is a splendid multimedia machine, and the screen has a higher resolution than the PSP, so I'd recommend it...

Back