RTj

GP2xTRA
issue #01

GP2xTRA_01.jpg

download links :
http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,2,1747
http://rapidshare.de/files/29263504/GP2xTRA_01.pdf.zip.html
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GXEQYZOQ

Thank you very much for your effort, I'm downloading this right now :) I hope you will continue work on this and publish further editions as well.

- Alex

Looks like a good start, although it is still a bit rough around the edges.

Two problems I noticed:
1. The reviews seem to only rate the graphics and the sound. What about the fun value/gameplay? What about the controls/user-interface? What about the replay value? Graphics and sound don't make a game.

2. I know this is a little picky, but.... Seeing as this is an open-source system, shouldn't you pick a file format other than .doc to submit articles in? What about .odt?

It looks nice. Kind of odd that two out of three of your reviews ended up with a rating of '?' though... maybe you should have a rating system for things that aren't emulators. If you do have such a system, I think you should have used it :)

I liked what I saw, especially the tutorial at the end, I hope to see more of those in later issues.

Dzz posted on Aug 13 2006 at 12:08 PM said:
It looks nice. Kind of odd that two out of three of your reviews ended up with a rating of '?' though... maybe you should have a rating system for things that aren't emulators. If you do have such a system, I think you should have used it :)
I believe it is because the reviewers didn't submit scores?

Last edited by a moderator:
yaustar posted on Aug 13 2006 at 05:20 PM said:
Possibly. If that's the only reason though I would think it would get ironed out before publishing.

Nice first edition RTj!
I think your on the right lines & I can't see any major problems that you'll have with it.
Like you say.. just needs the content to pack it out now :)

***EDIT***
How about some hint's & tip's boxes scattered about the mag, for info that won't take up a full page? I love them things :D

Wow I got a review! I like this mag :D

But why didn`t I get a rating? :(

EDIT:
You should also include download links for the reviewed games!

Nice start! I'll try to contribute next time. Maybe I'll write a review for some classic game that can be emulated on GP2X...

Do you know about fgrabber? It takes screenshots on a time delay, so you can load up the program you want a screenshot from.

I forgot about this thread and posted in the file archive instead. Sorry about that.

Basically, you need to exert more editorial pressure. Tell your writers to add a rating to the chosen categories or they won't be published. Also, proof-read.

Damn it, I've been forgetting to add the positives lately when giving feedback.

On the plus side, it's easy to read and has a nice layout. You're doing good! Next issue will be even better, I think, now that you're getting the hang of it.

@ DeadlyChicken22 - on point 1, your right, i'll take this into account for issue 2+, on point 2; people can submit articles in pretty much ANY format, txt and doc are just two that most people recognise...

@BenRoshi - yes, there'll be another Alvin tech article in #2 :)

@ Quiest & Dzz - that particular writer didn't include ratings with his article and i'm not in a position to refuse articles! (see below)

@ Magnulus - If I could get more people writing articles then i'd be in a position to refuse articles! As is, i had only two replies for articles. :(

yaustar posted on Aug 13 2006 at 05:20 PM said:

Uhmm... yeah. When I originally wrote my reviews, I didn't have a scoring method in place - they were just reviews.

Now that I know what Ronnie is looking for, any future reviews I submit will follow the proper format.

Also, I'll make sure I have better screenshots.

Oh well, what do you want for free?! :p

All-in-all, I think the overall look of the electronic mag. looks good. Looking forward to the next issue!

Well, All you would have needed to do was send the guy an e-mail saying "Could you give it a rating as well, please?" and I'm sure he would have sent you a rating ASAP, since the number ratings are the easiest part of a review.

Again, I think it's a good-looking and promising first edition, you just need to be clearer towards submitters on what you want from them. If someone is interested in sending you an article, I'm sure they'll be happy to comply to a very short list of requirements like "score the program on these terms:"

Magnulus posted on Aug 15 2006 at 03:40 PM said:
Well at All you would have needed to do was send the guy an e-mail saying "Could you give it a rating as well, please?" and I'm sure he would have sent you a rating ASAP, since the number ratings are the easiest part of a review.

Again, I think it's a good-looking and promising first edition, you just need to be clearer towards submitters on what you want from them. If someone is interested in sending you an article, I'm sure they'll be happy to comply to a very short list of requirements like "score the program on these terms:"

Well,hopefully the guidelines at the end of #1 are clear enough. :blink:

My only concern is the lack of input, (i know, i know, i'm beginning to sound like a broken record here but) with out articles there'll be no further editions... :(

Is it something i'm doing (or not doing) thats stopping people writing stuff??? :huh:
Is it just that an emag is a crap idea??? <_<
Are people too shy to write an article???
:unsure:

Please do let me know what stops you writing an article so that I can put things right... :)

RTj posted on Aug 15 2006 at 11:42 PM said:
Magnulus posted on Aug 15 2006 at 03:40 PM said:
Well at All you would have needed to do was send the guy an e-mail saying "Could you give it a rating as well, please?" and I'm sure he would have sent you a rating ASAP, since the number ratings are the easiest part of a review.

Well,hopefully the guidelines at the end of #1 are clear enough. :blink:

My only concern is the lack of input, (i know, i know, i'm beginning to sound like a broken record here but) with out articles there'll be no further editions... :(

Is it something i'm doing (or not doing) thats stopping people writing stuff??? :huh:
Is it just that an emag is a crap idea??? <_<
Are people too shy to write an article???
:unsure:

Please do let me know what stops you writing an article so that I can put things right... :)
Write some yourself you lazy....

Back