Gp2xengine 1.3

DaveC

Internal Development
I have tried the new version and was wondering some things.

Is there a way to save your settings in the config menu so you don't have to do it every time you start the emu?

It would be nice to have page scrolling using the joystick left-right or shoulder buttons to scroll by page if you have alot of ROMs.

Why BZip? I have all of my roms already zipped. Those aren't recognized. So I have to unzip all of my ROMs then re-zip with this format. It is a real pain plus now I need two romsets. Don't know what the advantage is are they smaller or something?

Some games seem to have alot of frame skip and/or are running slow. Is there a way around it or is it a linux thing? I don't want to run at 250 as my batteries will only last 10 minutes.

The gamma seems set too high. The background is grey instead of black, plus I have that white line on the left edge of the screen. It is being overdriven. Is there a way to change the gamma to where it should be? Some sort of timing thing?

Thanks

I have no idea about the BZip2 requirement either. I bzipped a few test roms using 7Zip in Windows and they are only sometimes (rarely) smaller than the original zipped files. If he wanted a real size advantage he should've used 7zip's own format (*.7z).

it isn't as if pc engine roms are large anyway and most of us will have loads of room on our 1/2gb sd cards.

Too bad the GPengine source is gone. That was real smooth at 133 MHz on the GP32. I don't know what tricks they used but it was fast.

Why BZip? I have all of my roms already zipped. Those aren't recognized. So I have to unzip all of my ROMs then re-zip with this format. It is a real pain plus now I need two romsets. Don't know what the advantage is are they smaller or something?

Have you tried linux yet??? Millions of comparison stuff online
Code:
#!/bin/bash
for file in *.zip;do (unzip "$file" && rm "$file")done
find . -type f -name '*.pce' -exec bzip2 -9 {} ;

I have no idea about the BZip2 requirement either. I bzipped a few test roms using 7Zip in Windows and they are only sometimes (rarely) smaller than the original zipped files. If he wanted a real size advantage he should've used 7zip's own format (*.7z).

Without going into details bzip2 is great, better than zip for zips. To get 7-zip compression in a zip use advzip from advancemame.
Code:
find . -type f -name '*.zip' -exec advzip -zp4 {} ;

bzip2 in emulators should have happened sooner

Last edited by a moderator:
In what way is bzip2 better? I don't have linux but trying bzip2 in windows to compress pcengine roms I end up with files larger than standard zip files (gzip2 -9 test.pce). Is it just the fault of the program? :unsure:

If linux is the only reason for bzip then hopefully it will be changed in later versions. If it just uses regular zip then no need to maintain two separate romsets.

If linux is the only reason for bzip then hopefully it will be changed in later versions. If it just uses regular zip then no need to maintain two separate romsets.

Hermes won't add zip support. That's a fact and you'll have to live with it.

I use unzipped roms. It's not like I have dozens of roms for this system; y'know .. pick up & play type games, I have 4 or 5.

I guess it may be an issue for folks with smaller SD cards though ...

Yeah the most widely used is zip.. not 7z or bzip. Probobly every person on this board has a rom in ZIP format somewhere.

So stick with ZIP damnit. argg...

Actually most of the romsets I've grabbed lately have been 7zipped. The compression on them is amazing. I wish all emulators had support for the format.

In what way is bzip2 better? I don't have linux but trying bzip2 in windows to compress pcengine roms I end up with files larger than standard zip files (gzip2 -9 test.pce). Is it just the fault of the program? :unsure:

Its confusing think of zip being a wrapper like wav(its not), and bzip,7-zip,zip etc being compression methods. If you try different zip programs, you will get different results. If you use a program like I have shown above. *I* with zip files normaly crompress them again to make them even smaller using advzip. This gives me several extra gig of hard drive space. Bzips main advantage is its *comparible* to 7-zip in compression better than *old* zip format and has libaries available free(in all ways think of gifs)

*cough* its a format like gif/png etc is for pictures ogg/mp3 music or xvid/omg movies its not resicted. I only mentioned linux becuase you seemed to be concerned about the time it took to convert between the two formats.Which I can't comment on without treating you like a idiot becuase you bigioted. You are anti-linux and thats fine, but now your attacking open-formats as well. I'm sure there are windows programs that can batch convert between the two.

Actually most of the romsets I've grabbed lately have been 7zipped. The compression on them is amazing. I wish all emulators had support for the format.

The nice compression your refering two comes from the comtression across similar erm files like an original and translation, where you can obviously end up with magnitues of improvement, zip container does not support this. I don't think rar does. I think *similar* results are achived when files are tarred and then bzipped. Use somthing like advzip on your zips and you see the joys of 7z

Im all in favor of supporting new and better compression formats, but not at the expense of removing standard zip support. The more the merrier.

Clearly zip is not standard, otherwise you wouldn't have multitudes of compression formats, why not on a device, that isn't on your PC use a different format. I use many different movie,picture and *compression* why not use the best. If you want interesting looks for arguments as to why mame will not support other compression formats on google there is *lots*,

*cough* its a format like gif/png etc is for pictures ogg/mp3 music or xvid/omg movies its not resicted. I only mentioned linux becuase you seemed to be concerned about the time it took to convert between the two formats.Which I can't comment on without treating you like a idiot becuase you bigioted. You are anti-linux and thats fine, but now your attacking open-formats as well. I'm sure there are windows programs that can batch convert between the two.

Is there some reason you felt the need to be disrespectful to DaveC? In fact, if one goes back and reads several of your posts you seem to have some beef with Dave. How about being a little less harsh?

If linux is the only reason for bzip then hopefully it will be changed in later versions.  If it just uses regular zip then no need to maintain two separate romsets.

Is there some reason you felt the need to be disrespectful to DaveC? In fact, if one goes back and reads several of your posts you seem to have some beef with Dave. How about being a little less harsh?

That is cyclops. He has nothing better to do and nothing to contribute so he follows me around here flaming every post and calling me a PSP fanboi etc (he seems to have some PSP fettish or something). I am used to it by now and just ignore it.

Thanks for the support though.

I believe the problem with implementing ZIP is that ZIP compression methods differ slightly, meaning certain ZIP files wouldn't work. bzip2 is more standardised and is therefore more compatible.

Possibly.

What a thing to complain about, you stick them on your SD and they either stay uncompressed or they get bzipped.

It's not like pce roms are huge in the first place.

gp2x isn't a windows box, dont treat it like one

Back