Gp2x11 Server 0.3 Released

Orkie

Super Duper Mega GP Mania
Website
www.gp2x.dev
I've put together a new release of my port of the kdrive X server to the GP2X. This release uses almost no CPU, meaning programs which use the server should run at least a little faster (the lack of memory is a bigger problem now). Also, USB mice and keyboards can just be plugged into the GP2X (if you have a USB host cable/break out board) and the server should detect and configure them automatically (I've tested this and it works for me with no problems).

Also, I have set up a website to be home to various X related things, including the server and the libraries (there is a bug tracker too for if you discover any problems). You can find it here: http://x11.gp2x.de/

Download X server: http://x11.gp2x.de/downloads/xserver/GP2X11-0.3.zip

This sounds rather cool, I must say. X on GP does open up more possibilities, and the lack of need of a lot of CPU compared to earlier releases makes it look a little more attractive.

Great! I tried it X11 + GPE with BoB. Mouse and Keyboard works fine. I think we need more RAM. How can we overcome this situation to use GP2X for simple stuff sending e-mails, web browsing, office work etc.?

Thanks for the thanks (if that makes any sense :D).

Paradox posted on Jul 7 2006 at 12:33 AM said:
what's x server? put that on the FAQ's page..
Done. I've been asked that a few times now.

techFreak posted on Jul 7 2006 at 09:10 AM said:
I think we need more RAM. How can we overcome this situation to use GP2X for simple stuff sending e-mails, web browsing, office work etc.?
I'm not sure about that... nemonoid has written some brief instructions on how to set up a swap file on your SD card which makes programs load a lot quicker and stops the mouse pausing. However, it will wear out your SD card more quickly (how much more quickly, I don't know). You can also disable applets to free up RAM and you'll get the loading times right down if you format your card to ext2.
Take a look here: http://x11.gp2x.de/wiki/index.php?GPE%20Speed%20Tweaks

Last edited by a moderator:
is also possible and should work much better. if you use a mouse and keyboard it isnt much portable anymore anyway...

Sonic-NKT posted on Jul 7 2006 at 03:13 PM said:
is also possible and should work much better. if you use a mouse and keyboard it isnt much portable anymore anyway...
hehe, lol not at all :p
about the sd card swapfile, hmm I don't know that, a lot of people have said in the past that it was very bad for the lifetime of the sd...

And orkie: thanks for the thanks for the thanks ;)

aapje89 posted on Jul 7 2006 at 02:53 PM said:
about the sd card swapfile, hmm I don't know that, a lot of people have said in the past that it was very bad for the lifetime of the sd...
Yes, I'll make this absolutely clear so nobody can moan: having a swap file on your SD card will shorten its life. That said, it should still last for a very long time (I think these worries are greatly exaggerated). In the end, it is up to you whether you set a file up, but I feel that the benefits greatly outweigh the possible problems (especially since SD cards are now so cheap) hence why I've got one.

Yes, a swap file (or even a partition, which would be better) on a USB hard drive would work fine you would mount it in the same way as is detailed on the X wiki, using swapon. I would like to give it a try myself sometime.

What about NFS and Network (SAMBA) shares as swap files? (swap partitions? loopbacks at any rate)

That's how the dreamcast did its caching, over the network. Speaking of which, X11 with remote apps. never used it but does it work?

Series-8 posted on Jul 7 2006 at 03:31 PM said:
What about NFS and Network (SAMBA) shares as swap files? (swap partitions? loopbacks at any rate)

That's how the dreamcast did its caching, over the network. Speaking of which, X11 with remote apps. never used it but does it work?
If you can mount wherever you have stored the swap file, be it over a network, USB or SD, you should be able to use it. However, I would recommend against using a network swap file since it will be slower than the other methods.

Remote X programs work fine.

Could someone please explain how to get x11 + GPE running. When I try to run GPE, X11 starts up but that is it and yes I have let it sit for about 10 minutes and still no GPE. I have tried with the GPE files in the root and with the in the GPE folder with the same result. I have the X11 files in the X11 folder in the root. Any help would be apreciated.

This is awesome for gp2x, I have look at the readme txt and you are porting XFree86 4.3, I dont now much about the X thing, but I have seen at X.org that their last version X11R7.1, that is supoused to have embeded supot and much better modularity that the previous xfree version.

Is there any chance that changing to this version, you would get a better x server in the future?

Unai.

una-i posted on Jul 7 2006 at 07:19 PM said:
This is awesome for gp2x, I have look at the readme txt and you are porting XFree86 4.3, I dont now much about the X thing, but I have seen at X.org that their last version X11R7.1, that is supoused to have embeded supot and much better modularity that the previous xfree version.

Is there any chance that changing to this version, you would get a better x server in the future?

Unai.
I did have a look at it, but they actually removed the embedded server completely from the main Xorg distribution when it went modular :) KDrive has now become freedesktop.org's X server. The code isn't that much better in the areas we would benefit from (there are lots of new drivers for various graphics cards, and transparency if you have a supported card, which the GP2X doesn't).

I'm not using the main XFree86 server, but a smaller one included with it, so there is little advantage to rushing onto the new code (I have a build of freedesktop.org's server working, but it isn't stand-alone, it is built into the GPE image).
So yes, I will be switching at some point but nothing much will change for anybody other than me (I'll get slightly nicer code to work with).

Back