Gp2X Wiz Video Out

kindofdoon

Still Fresh
I would very much like for the Wiz to be able to output video for emulation or video playback. I am aware than the hardware necessary to do this is present in the Wiz's EXT connector, however, GP has yet to release a proper cable.

I'm aware there's a homebrew video out solution on the GP2X Wiz File Archive, but I don't quite have the expertise or patience to complete this project.

Do you believe that GP will release a video out cable for the EXT connector as they did for the F-100 and F-200? Or will homebrew be the only solution?

What upsets me is that all the hardware is there! They could make good profit by just making a simple cable! I don't understand why they don't, it seems to be mutually beneficial.

As a sidenote, has anyone completed andymanone's homebrew solution? Does it work with emulators?

I did make one of Andy's cables, though the instructions threw me for a loop at first. I only tried it with some of the builtin games (all worked 'fine', see note below), and with gpSP. With gpSP I had problems with all of the scaling modes. They would overlay original and scaled buffers which would flash and it was impossible to use. Turning off scaling fixes it but leaves large black borders around the screen -- not a big problem for me. Now for the note. The little program that sets the wiz into tv mode does not work correctly for me, if I understand what it's supposed to do. First aligning the screen horizontally is fine, but vertically it makes big jumps, so there really is only one option there. Also I didn't find a way to set the scale for the screen, vertical and horizontal size, which means even in the best mode I can get for the Wiz on my tv (Wide), the Wiz screen just doesn't fit completely on the tv.. it's close, but the edges go beyond the edge of my tv.

Many of the emulators do not yet work really good, but NeoCDWiz, GnGeo and the CPS2 Emu work fine. The others can probably be fixed though. I ordered ten of those connectors in Hong Kong to save shipping costs and I already offered to make some ready-to-work cables for board members in the German board. I have seven of those left, I can ship them to anywhere in europe. Shipping to outside of europe probably doesn't make sense because of the higher shipping costs.

Xtreme2K: I would like one of those cables, and I'd be happy to pay for your work .. I'm in Austria, btw, gonna PM you shortly ..

EDit: oops, can't PM you. Can you PM me?

ah, that's nice that you are here in the english forums, too. i'm also from austria and if you have one for me, too, i'd be happy to pay you for one!

Crow - where are you in Austria? We should have a Pandora meet if you're anywhere near Vienna .. we could meet in Metalab.at?

@Torpor: I also cannot PM you, just send me a Mail (christoph@rasim.net).

@crow_riot: You got a PM.

I guess my real question is:

Do you think GP will release a video out solution, in one form or another? (This could be via the future Wiz dock, which is rumored to POSSIBLY have video out, or just a plain cable).

torpor said:
Crow - where are you in Austria? We should have a Pandora meet if you're anywhere near Vienna .. we could meet in Metalab.at?

oh, i missed this post. i'm in innsbruck, so a bit too far for a pandora meeting ... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the cable today - it is very cool! I really like the work Xtreme2k, if you could only be convinced to add USB Host and then mass-produce them! :)

For anyone thats waiting for their cable: definitely worth it! I can't wait to try out my Wiz on the TV tonight ..

EDIT: Crow, Austria isn't *THAT* big, heh heh .. at least not compared to my native Australia .. I've definitely travelled that far (Vienna->Innsbruck) to have a computer meet in the past .. maybe you can come over for a weekend and enjoy a few of the other nice things Vienna has to offer, like metalab.at, and so on .. Couchsurfing ftw, or you can bunk at my pad if you behave yourself .. ;) All in the name of advanced Pandora development.

Back